I am trying to find info on a old sony receiver.....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mark Guidry, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Mark Guidry

Mark Guidry Stunt Coordinator

I think its a str-d911 (its probably almost 8-9 years old)....I have no idea what the power output is on it but I want to use it to run some AURA bass shaker pros. Does anyone know what the power of it is or where I can find a free manual on it???

Thanks
    mark

2. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Thru a google search I found one for sale that said it was a Dolby ProLogic receiver rated at 70wpc x 5. That's about all I could find.
    Here's a link to one that sold on ebay recently:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=39800
    The description doesn't quite jive with what I found on the search but I don't think the seller knows what he's talking about....100wpc RMS and 195 watts total power!!?? [​IMG]
    You could email the buyer and ask him whatup.

3. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Thru a google search I found one for sale that said it was a Dolby ProLogic receiver rated at 70wpc x 5. That's about all I could find.
    Here's a link to one that sold on ebay recently:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=39800
    The description doesn't quite jive with what I found on the search but I don't think the seller knows what he's talking about....100wpc RMS and 195 watts total power!!?? [​IMG]
    You could email the buyer and ask him what up.

4. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Essential specs from an old October 1993 Audio Equipment Guide:

Sony STR-D911

Power ratings into 8 ohms:
    100 watts/ch Fronts
    70 watts/ch Center
    25 watts/ch Rears

Supports Dolby Pro Logic

30 Tuner presets

22 pounds

$500 retail list

Hope this helps some!

5. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

OK...OK....How that post get on here twice?...How that post get on here twice?...[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

QUOTE Sony STR-D911

Power ratings into 8 ohms:
    100 watts/ch Fronts
    70 watts/ch Center
    25 watts/ch Rears QUOTE

Now that makes more sense cause I found an STR D-511 that had those old standard DPL ratings back when they were not that concerned about the rear speaker output. That one I saw for sale was obviously full of crap stating 70 x 5 as was the ebay seller. So much for google searches
    [​IMG]

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

8. Chuck Kent

Wayne: Nope! I've got them back to '79 or '80... [​IMG]

9. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

Ok Wayne, Chuck

What can you tell me about the specs of a Sony TA-AV411 integrated Amplifier from around 1994?

I have this item and it's like new. I think its around 100 - 110 WPC front and 40 WPC rear.

Can you help?

Thanks, Bill

10. Chuck Kent

Unless I missed it (and I looked twice) I can't find the TA-AV411. The only integrated amps I saw in the book were Sony ES models.

Is this a recent purchase or have you had it since it was new?

11. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Those were great compendiums weren't they Chuck? I'd gladly pay a premium to see information like that summarized yearly.
    I'd also like it if all the manufacturer's archived the manuals on their own websites.

12. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

Chuck,

I picked the amplifier up about three years ago. I think the Amp was part of a matched tower system of sony electronics from 1990 - 1994. I have never been able to find out the specs on it either. From the weight of the thing, I am guessing it's 100-110 WPC.

An I have absolutely no use for it any more. It's sitting in a box in the bottom of a closet.

Bill

13. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Chuck - Only back to ’86 or ‘87 for me, so I guess I’m the “new kid.” [​IMG]

ChuSound and Vision puts out an annual directory, usually early in the year, I think. However, it’s not part of your subscription; you have to get it separately on the newsstand. It doesn’t cover as much equipment as Audio did, but it has more detailed info on the equipment it does cover. Overall I prefer the Audio book – I really miss it, as well as the magazine. I always thought it was the most intelligent hi-fi publication on the market – which is probably why it isn’t around any more.

Bill - The Audio directories didn’t cover components that came as part of a pre-packaged system.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

14. Chuck Kent

Chu Gai: Yeah, the annual Audio Equipment Guides were great references. I guess I kinda knew way back then that they were worth keeping. As Wayne motes, there have been some others put out from time to time but they just aren't the same. (I think the web has influenced that as much as anything.) Heck, I'm such a big pack rat that for several years, I even kept old annual Radio Shack catalogs. :b

Bill: Wayne is right. The Audio guide didn't cover those types of systems. There were several types of those setups made over the last 10 to 20 years. Some were indeed quite good.

Wayne: I've always been interested in hifi. I used to go to the summer CES show up in Chicago back in the late 70's and early 80's. For years I had squirreled away old product literature and such. I recently sent some vintage JVC quadraphonic literature to a quad enthusiast that did me a favor. So, sometimes all this clutter is worth it...[​IMG]

15. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

You old enough Chuck to remember hearing two speakers that are since defunct? Cosmostatics and something made by I think Mr. Johnson? The latter is not, I repeat not, a marital aid!

16. Mark Guidry

Ahhh great you guys...thats about what I thought it was. I tried doing a search and the only thing I cam up with was that 70x5 and I knew that was not right. I knew the rear was like 25 or something. So if I run this thing in the stereo mode it should give me 100w x 2.

So should that be enough to run 2 (the are 4ohms each) AURA pros on each channel for a total of 4???

Thanks for all the great help!!
    Mark

17. Chuck Kent

Cosmostatics and Mr Johnson... No, they're not ringing a bell. I do remember one speaker that had plasma tweeters but I'm not sure who the maker was. As for Mr. Johnson, that draws a blank???

Mark: If you run 2 in series on each side, you would indeed have the receiver seeing 8 ohms (or at least closer to 8 ohms.) I don't know how sensitive the shakers are but seems like it would work.

18. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

19. Mark Guidry

Aaron....Holey cow[​IMG] [​IMG] That is absolutely what I was needing....THANKS!!

20. Lcert4

Lcert4 Auditioning