What's new

Hypothetical question - your opinion? (1 Viewer)

Mike H'worth

Auditioning
After reading in this forum for a few days, I have decided I can put together a better system than the entry level Bose system ($1000 w/o DVD) I was planning to get just one week ago.

So far, I have only ordered a sub-woofer (the $99 DSL 10" from Parts Express).

Plan to get either JBL NSP-1's or Fluance SX-HTB for the surrounds.

System will be mostly for movies. I have Direct TV and will get a DVD for this system as soon as I get it going.

Now the question....

Say I have decided on either of the two receivers below, which were recommended by a Circuit City salesperson:

Onkyo TSR500
Harman Kardon HVR125

Is the KH the better choice for $100 more to get 45 watts instead of 65 watts with the Oknyo? It kind of bothers me since I always thought "more power" would be better, but what do I know? You guys are the experts. What do you think?

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
The list of receivers at Crutchfield also shows some Denon in the same price range, at the same time handing out more power. This is the reason I went with Denon. I built a bit of a budget HT and I wasn't going to mess with any extra amps. The Denon confidently put out the power I needed and wanted.
I don't consider myself an expert, so the door is still open for more replies. This was just my logic of thinking for my first ever HT.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
I'm sure either of the recievers you said will do the job. My new Pioneer has 100 watts x 5 power but it is on a more relaxed specification. I'd imagine with the same material, the Onkyo or the other reciever would easily meet or outperfrom 100w x 5 budget recievers like mine.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Mike, Harmon Kardon is known for giving accurate measurements of wattage with all channels driven equally. So, most likely it will really do 45 watts/channel with all 5 channels driven. The Onkyo probably will not do 65 watts/channel under the same circumstances. Recent independent tests by another forum member found that the Onkyo SR600 (next model up from the SR500) outputed well below it's stated spec when all channels were driven at the same time. So, does this mean the HK is the better receiver. No - since there are a lot of other factors involved such as features, how it sounds paired with your speakers, etc. In addition, depending on the efficiency rating of your speakers, the size of your room, how far you sit from your speakers, etc., you may never even come close to max'ing out the available power in either of these receivers.

cheers,

--tom

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
as tom said, the hk is typically described as a high-current amp. it should be able to deliver pretty close to what is specified. i still don't know about the whole onkyo power-rating controvery. i've got an onkyo (older 646 model) and i've never had reason to complain. of course, i may not be realizing what i'm missing. :)
in any case, either receiver will do what you want. i used to work for cc and always thought those were the two best receivers they carried. they're both solid performers and good value for the money. just to add to your confusion, you may want to go to good guys and check out their denon and yamaha models. i also like denons - they'll be on my short list if i go for receivers on my next upgrade.
the hk may give you more "punch" but the onkyo will also do the job. i suspect the onkyo will also have a few more features than the hk.
so, what's important to you? power or features. as a final note, remember that cc has a 30-day guarantee. if you buy one and don't like it, you can always exchange it. just keep all the packaging, etc...

Bruce Chang

Second Unit
Parts express is a rip off if you ever want to return something

I bought alot of stuff from partsexpress in the past month. The products were fine but if you ever want to return anything, they'll screw you over. I did not see any 25% restocking fee on they're website, but it was written on the back of my reciept when I got the package. They over charge on shipping products, I bought a IEC plug for $17 and the shipping was $10!!! You have to pay for shipping both ways and take the 25% restocking fee. What a freaking scam.

Jack Keck

Second Unit
Don't get too hung up on the power ratings. Most of the time, any reciever is putting out only a few watts, at most. Anything above that is for extremely loud passages. I would think that either one of the receivers will much more than serve your puropses.

And there is certainly no need to discuss how they would embarrass the B*** system you were considering. In addition to sounding better right off the bat, if you ever want to expand or trade up any part of your proposed system, you can.

You did your homework, now you can reap the rewards.

Tom.le

Agent
On an anti-Onkyo bashing note, I'd like to say that it does suck the rated power isn't what you get. But the power test was done with 5 channels at full power. Try to think when you'll be listening to 5 channels of full power audio. That means left, mid, right, rrear, & lrear, all playing the same level of audio. That would be very intense, and probably hurt. Heck, I'd take 35-45 watts just TWO channels. Now consider having 3 more. All 5 speakers running at full power 35 watts would sound nice..

My car only has a deck that's 20x4 watts. When I crank all 20 watts into each of the 4 speakers, it hurts. But then again, they don't have much mid-bass, so they don't draw too much low-bass power.

Tom

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I did not see any 25% restocking fee on they're website, but it was written on the back of my reciept when I got the package.
you could try arguing that it doesn't apply. it wasn't a term of the contract when you placed the order (i.e. not on website), they can't just magically add it to the terms of the contract by printing it on the receipt.

of course, if the term (adding 25% restocking fee) was buried elsewhere on the website and incorporated by reference (via a link) the argument might not work.

just kick up a fuss. why take it lying down?

Mike H'worth

Auditioning
Thanks to all for your helpful input. I'm still shopping for a receiver, but leaning toward the HK so far.

Next purchase will be the JBL NSP-1's.

Received the DLS sub today, along with a catalog.

Bruce,

Shipping, I thought was reasonable for what I purchashed. A 40 pound speaker and 7 pounds of wire - shipping cost $20.00

Concerning partsexpress's exchange policy, on the last page in their catalog:

"If the product you ordered did not meet your needs, return it to us postage paid within 45 days, and we will provide a replacement, credit, or refund. Product must be in new, saleable, perfect condition. Otherwise restocking fees are assessed upon evaluation of product condition. Restocking fees will be deducted from credit or refund amount."

I didn't see this at the website, either; but I'll bet it's there somewhere. I'll look, since I might need something else from partsexpress and want to know where I really stand.

Thanks again to all,

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks