What's new

If It Were Up To YOU .... What Features Would You Include On All DVDs? (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
In this hypothetical question, tell us what bonus features you personally would put on all (or nearly all) of the DVDs in your collection?

I myself am partial to the making-of featurettes, deleted scenes, and most definitely a photo gallery on all releases.

If you want to get specific on a certain title, feel free to tell us what SHOULD and SHOULD NOT be on that title (in your opinion).

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
If it were up to me, there would not be any bonus features if they are going to negatively impact the video or audio. So, I would want them on a seperate disc.

Then, I would want the "making of" featurettes, such as the one on Scorsese's Cape Fear. A director commentary would also be nice. Deleted scenes can also be interesting.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
First, all movies will be in their original aspect ratios. If they're in widescreen, they will be enhanced for widescreen and include their original audio mix. For newer releases or catalog releases that have a big audience, a remix will be included. Also, audio commentaries will be on depending if I can get the director, writer, etc. to contribute to recording one.
Special features will depend on what is available and on how much disc space is available. If there's a lot of material to be had, the features will be put on the other side of the disc (DVD-14) or on a seperate disc. Special features would range from full length documentaries, deleted scenes, production featurettes, storyboards, trailers, television spots, and more.
Also, all DVDs will contain drunken commentary tracks and nude scenes as easter eggs. :)

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
I think the baseball card industry really hit it big with game worn jersey and game used bat cards. Maybe we could incorporate that into DVDs. We could have actual locks of hair from stars, director autographs, and every once in awhile some lucky guy gets a grip's first hand journal of all the poop that went on during filming (who slept with who, who has bad breath, who has horrendous flatulence, etc. etc.)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
All possible materials. If a music-only track is possible, Yes. Effects track? Yes.

I'd like to produce DVD's which contain the comprehensive content of T-2 and is as entertaining as Snow White.

Also, I'd like to simulate the theatrical experiance of roadshow movies.

For example, for Ben-Hur, instead of the OK looking Overture/Intermission/Exit Music cards, I'd have a curtain open and close at the appropriate times. THAT'S how it's supposed to be done.

Also, for movies such as Around the World in Eighty Days and Fantasia, I'd have a curtain supermiposed on the "mattes" (The video for Fantasia incorrectly reveals the mattes on the sides...there's supposed to be curtains over them!)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Also, all DVDs will contain drunken commentary tracks and nude scenes as easter eggs
Thats my boy! And that my friends is why I bought the Beastmaster dvd!;)
I enjoy drunken commentaries and especially nude easter eggs starring Tanya Roberts.:D
Commentaries (drunk or sober) are the one extra I would like on all dvds.:emoji_thumbsup:

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
Deleted scenes, commentary from the Director and author, a section on "The making of XXX", alternate endings (if applicable). Traliers do not interest me at all.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
I also would like directors' commentary & deleted scenes. Also,subtitles & trailers are a must...

(just the main teaser & trailer though - anymore is overkill).

Calvin

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Director's/Producer's Commentary

Cast's Commentary

Cinematographer's Commentary

Editor's Commentary

Composer's Commentary

Screenwriter's/Story Writer's Commentary

Deleted Scenes

Extended/Alternate Scenes

Making-of Featurettes

Original Aspect Ratio

Original Audio Mix and Remix

Subtitles

Closed Captioning for the Deaf and Hearing-Impaired

Cast and Crew Biographies

GregoryM

Agent
A. All dvd's would boot directly to the main menu. No dvd would ever do any of the following:

1. Show trailers before the main menu.

2. Show trailers before the main feature after the "play" button is pressed.

3. Start the movie without the "play" button being pressed.

4. Show any important scene from the movie in any menu.

5. Lock out the "skip chapter" and "menu" controls during trailers or the FBI/Interpol warnings.

B. All dvd's that offer a "director's cut" (which is often a misnomer) or added scenes would offer them as seamless branching so that the original and re-edited versions could be chosen on the same disc without taking extra room.

C. A seamless layer change. If not implemented, the layer change would always occur during a scene transition, ideally during a fade out/fade in while the screen is black.

D. A full bit rate DD or DTS soundtrack.

E. Commentary tracks, in order of preference:

1. director/screenwriter

2. critical analysis by a knowledgeable fan (ala Roger Ebert on Dark City and Citizen Kane or Ric Meyers on many Hong Kong movies).

3. Composer, accompanied by a music-only track (the Pleasantville commentary is fantastic).

4. On-screen talent.

F. All other special features would be on a second disc, or the back of the first so as to maximize the room for the film itself. These would include trailers, poster art, featurettes, character profiles, talent bios and filmographies, genre links and trivia, dvd rom extras, etc. All of this secondary to features that make the film itself the best it can be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks