What's new

Humphrey Bogart: Signature Collection Vol. 2 See Post #8 Lack of Reviews (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Ah, yes. Then I'm thick as a brick (which hasn't been an unusual circumstance of late. 7-discs is right then, isn't it? :D Or is my math not so good?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's me. Thick as a brick.

:D

AND...proving it with a double post!
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Has anyone noticed an edit in "Across the Pacific" at 58:16? There's a fade in to later on in the same scene. It's so artificial as to be really noticeable. That's the first time I've ever seen something like that in a Warner's disc for a classic film; very surprising. If film damage was the reason for it, I would have preferred them to show the damaged elements anyway instead of simply skipping over them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That scene has always been that way for as long as I can remember seeing this film over the last 40 plus years.

Crawdaddy

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm just curious (and this is not a complaint) but has anyone else noticed on "Action In The North Atlantic", that the image goes really soft focus and scratchy for a moment at the moment during the first attack on the US liberty ship when the German u-boat first launches it's torpedo attack?

I assume it's due to print damage and I don't expect any miracles for a 50+ year old film, but I just wanted to confirm that this was not simply an issue with my disc. I only ask because there are a few moments where the picture looks really poor and an almost screen-door effect is seen. It might have been the result of some camera technique during the effects shots though.

Also, I'm having TONS of difficulty tracking down a box set of the 1st Bogart Signature Collection, in which the back of the box is not ripped and stretched out due to the packaging. Has anyone else had this problem?

I was in two retailers last week and EVERY SINGLE SET on display had a vertical line down the side seam of the back of the box ripped as though it had been sliced with a box-cutter as a result of the packaging. It's kind of frustrating.

I already own Casablanca and Treasure and sold my snapper cases of TDBN and High Sierra to someone on this forum over the summer when the set was announced, but now I'm considering just buying them again individually. I just want to know if anyone else has had this problem?

PPS - I know I'm super late with this (I was short on money these past few months which is partly why I haven't been around the forum so much)... but after Maltese Falcon and Action In The North Atlantic, what do you guys recommend I check out next from Vol. II?

Some people have expressed disapointment with Passage To Marseilles and All Through The Night. Which is the better film to jump to next?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Whereas I thought Passage to Marseilles was light years better, and would never watch All Through the Night Again (the only disappointment in this box IMO).

So, basically, it's a crap shoot. :)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
:)

Well I watched All Through The Night last night and found it incredibly contrived and had trouble getting through the whole thing. Not a very good movie at all, imo.

I'll try Accross The Pacific this morning...

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I watched Across The Pacific this afternoon and thought it was an excellent film!

The ending was a bit sloppy, but I thought it had many similarities to Falcon and no denying a terrific cast, lots of suspense and action and great direction from Huston.

This one ranks as Number 2 for me in this box set, so far...

I guess that just leaves 'Passage' now.

Hopefully my low expectations will leave me surprised..

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
I've watched all the films in the set, and I wish there were a hundred movies like these. They may not all be great cinema, but they sure are fun.

All Through the Night is my favorite -- gangsters vs Nazis, what's not to love?

I think Passage to Marseilles is the weakest because of the weird structure with all the nested flashbacks. We have the framing story with Claude Rains in England telling someone about how he met Bogie on the ship to Marseilles. Then on the ship Peter Lorre tells him the story about Devil's Island. Then on Devil's Island, someone tells Lorre the story of why Bogie was arrested.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Agreed. It has its fun elements and a great cast, but it is saddled with a narrative structure that only a computer programmer could love. :)

Regards,

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I'm 99.9% sure I'm getting this for Christmas. I love ACROSS THE PACIFIC, and can't wait to delve into that MALTESE FALCON set(especially getting to see decent copies of the older versions!).

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator

Hiya Tim,

Sorry about the delay in answering this, but I never got the email notification.

Anyway, to answer your question… ah…

no.

But strangely enough, I actually checked up on the status of slipcase replacement today, which is why I came back here to check this forum (I wanted to see if anyone else managed to get it).

Basically, I had zero luck getting the slipcase, mainly because I still have not been able to get ahold of my contact. I mean, not a peep in nearly three months. Now, I have to admit that I sorta forgot to check up on this after the first couple of weeks or so until literally today, as I had other things to deal with again. (As some folks here know, I've got a real nasty genetic disease that I'm dealing with, and when it hits me, it REALLY hits me, and everything else sorta falls by the wayside.)

Anywhoo… considering that I never got a response from her after all this time, I'm sure it means that she never actually received it in the first place. Either it dumped somewhere along the line, or was filtered out as spam.

So I decided to just call her up and check up on getting the slipcase, and I found out that -- like many people -- she's been out of the office for a bit on vacation, and won't be back for another couple of weeks of so.

In the meantime, I decided to try another source I have over at Warner and see if he could help me out. And it looks like it might have… I explained what my problem was, and he rather surprised me by stating that he had "heard something about a problem like that" -- i.e., that some of those Bogart boxes were missing the Maltese Falcon slipcase. He put me on hold and went off to check up on the Bogie Vol. 2 set in his own library/stock area, and guess what…

their Bogie set was also missing the slipcase. However, he could easily see that there was some "extra" space within the box. (He said that all the ThinPaks nearly fell out of the box when he grabbed it… sound familiar?!?) He then went over and grabbed their Falcon set, pulled out the ThinPaks from the Bogie box, and stuck the Falcon set in and… perfect fit. (Surprise!)

Anyway, the end result was this: he didn't have an extra slipcase on hand right then and there, but he is attempting to personally locate a slipcase in his "local" stock area to send me. Failing that, he was then going to request one from "somewhere else" (main stock, or warehouse, or somesuch… I'm not sure). However, he did say he'd find me one somehow, rather than send me on some long goose chase through various other Warner personnel in my attempt to find the slipcase. 'll be hearing back from him next Tuesday or Wednesday with a progress report on this… hopefully I'll be lucky.

Unfortunately, this doesn't really help anyone else but myself. If he does manage to find me the slipcase, I'll definitely ask and see if he can give me any ideas on how the rest of you can also get their missing slipcase.

Aside from that, he did tell me one other bit of really good news:

As most of you know, Warner has implemented a defective replacement program for both the Ultimate Superman Collection and the Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collection Vol. 2. But seemingly nothing was being done regarding the long-promised replacements of the censored shorts in Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collection Vol. 1. So I asked him if there was any chance of seeing this happen in the coming year…

Well, guess what… ???

Looks like we'll be seeing it earlier than expected -- Warner's replacement program for the Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collection Vol. 1 DVD is scheduled to begin next Tuesday, January 2, 2007!!! The discs themselves have not be pressed yet, but are currently expected to be in stock within 10-14 days. The phone number for this exchange program is the same as that for the Ultimate Superman and previous Tom and Jerry replacements -- (800) 553-6937.

Not Bogart news, but good news just the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks