What's new

Humphrey Bogart: Signature Collection Vol. 2 See Post #8 Lack of Reviews (1 Viewer)

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
I don't really mind the thinpaks -- they look a lot better on my shelves than I thought they would -- but for things like The Maltese Falcons I want the snazzy packaging. This puts me on the edge over whether to get the whole set or just TMF.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
'Maltese Falcon' has 2 thinpaks in a cardboard slipcover. One holds the main feature and the other holds the two remaining discs. Rather unusual packaging for a 3-disc set (I was expecting a digipak).

-D

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I too was wondering about that. I did a search here and at AVS, but didn't come up with anything. After my search, I ordered the box set.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Not the first time I've been called that. But maybe the first-time preceded by the modifier "funny". :D

Honestly...no pun intended. I just like slim cases.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
For the record, Volume 2 is all slimcases. The supplement discs for The Maltese Falcon are in a double slimcase with the main film in its own slimcase.

Volume One has "Casablanca" and "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" in their existing 2-disc special edition packaging with "They Drive By Night" and "High Sierra" in slimcases. It looks a bit awkward, but hey, most of us can use the shelf space. :)

Regards,

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

When I saw Volume One at Costco today, it had Casablanca and Treasue of the Sierra Madre in digipaks without their slipcases(!) and High Sierra and They Drive by Night in ye olde snappers.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I bought this set today, and once I opened it, it struck me as being a bit... odd. (This may begin to sound a bit anal, so please bear with me. :))

1. I notice that two of the DVDs (Across the Pacific and Action in the North Atlantic) were in black slimcases, while the rest were in clear slimcases.

2. The Maltese Falcon discs did not come in their own slipcase.

3. Disc One of The Maltese Falcon came with a double-sided insert. On the reverse was the insert for Discs Two and Three. Of course, that case already had an insert, but it was single sided.

4. The size of the collection slipcase was too large for its contents. I compared it to the Film Noir Classic Collection, Vol. 3 and the Bogart slipcase was slightly taller and considerably wider... wide enough to accomodate another slipcase.

5. The slipcase artwork shows the cover of The Maltese Falcon Special Edition. Hmmmmmmm

Then I tried an experiment. I found a set of slipcased slimcases, took an equal number of cases out of the Bogart set... and the other set slid in perfectly.

Deduction: this collection was designed to contain the standalone special edition of The Maltese Falcon, but for some reason WHV changed its mind and decided to include just the discs. It appears that WHV may have changed the design of this set more than once during production because there are just too many oddities that are otherwise unexplainable.

So, did anyone get a set with a slipcased Maltese Falcon?

Or, to be blunt about it, Warner, I want my Maltese Falcon slipcase! :D

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator

Ditto, Tim, Ditto…

My Bogie set was packaged in exactly the same way as yours -- the same two black cases + 4 clear cases format, the weird Maltese Falcon insert printing for Disc 1, and the outer box that was just a bit too large for the ThinPaks contained within. (Just as an FYI, my set was purchased through Overstock.com.)

As soon as I opened my set, I was literally shaking my head and saying to myself, "WTF?!?". Needless to say, I was quite confused, if only because I was fully expecting my copy of The Maltese Falcon to be packaged within its slipcase, in a manner as complete and intact as the individual retail edition. This sort of screw-up with the packaging is completely unlike Warner Bros.' usual high-quality standards.

Message to Warner… While I don't mind having the box-set exclusive discs in the ThinPaks, I really want the missing slipcase for my Maltese Falcon discs! Please make some sort of arrangement to provide this missing slipcase to consumers like myself, who absolutely want it for their discs.

Thank you.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Glad I'm not the only one who feels like this. :) So where do we go to complain?

BTW, has anyone seen the new standalone reissues of They Drive By Night and High Sierra? I was wondering if they were in Amaray cases.

Jon Baker

Second Unit
I had planned to pick up both Vol 1 & 2 of the Bogart sets but was very disappointed in the packaging for both sets. I had assumed that these would be issued/reissued in the standard amaray cases as was done with the Bette Davis box sets, but seeing that Warner hadn't bothered to do this with "Casablanca" and "Sierra Madre" and have the additional films issues in slimcases was rather awkward. I also would have preferred the Volume 2 set to be in the standard cases as well. I realize what matters most is the disc itself and not the packaging, but quite a few of us also buy for collectibility aspect as well. I just don't understand why so many companies feel the need to change the packaging and not keep consistant. I was happy to see that Warner decided to toss the snapper cases for the Amaray, but why make another change? I now regret selling off my "Casablanca", "Treasure of Sierra madre" and even the 2 snappers of the additional films in anticipation for these sets. I assumed all films would be issued in standard Amaray cases. I'm hoping that these will be issued in their proper packaging format sometime in the future. I'm glad I held off on purchasing the Mel Brooks set as the individual films were later released in standard Amaray cases.

Jon Baker

Second Unit

I've seen standalone issues of 2 of the films from the Lucy/Desy set and they were in slimline cases. I assume it will be likewise for the Bogart films too.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
This is dissapointing.

So it's confirmed that we get the two digipaks minus slipcovers... and two slimcases?

I was another who was ecstatic to finally sell off my snappers and digipaks, assuming that I'd finally have a neat and convenient box set with individual keepcases - the way I want!

This is still the simplest, most effective, classiest and easy to store packaging around. I don't understand why studios can't be consistent with it.

I'm alright with slimcases, but if you're going to go that route, do like the Film Noir V.3 set and issue them ALL in the same packaging and make them exclusive to the set.

Otherwise, continue with the sturdy cardboard box and individual keepcases.

I'll have to see how this looks in stores now before I commit to purchasing.

Luckily, I held on to my Casablanca S.E. in hesitation of what might be released.

I wish this wasn't an issue. Warners been dissapointing Canadians for a while now in regards to issues like this - It used to be great to just head out to the store on release day, fully confident of your purchase and with clear expectations.

At least the content itself is top quality... but I've always stood by my thought that DVD is more than just that. And as a classic film buff and movie enthusiast in general, I still feel that presentation is not equally, but significantly important.

Warner Bros. seemed to feel the same way too, and I hope that hasn't changed.

Mikya

Grip
I too am mystified by the random black slim cases and the missing slipcase for the two Maltese Falcon slim cases. It's just plain sloppy. Warner gets a great deal right and I'm happy for it. It got this packaging all wrong, though. For the life of me, I just can't understand what's so difficult about these things. Sigh.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
When did it stop being about the movies and bonus material and more about the packaging? I'm sorry, but I can't get upset about packaging, when I bought seven movies (including 3 versions of The Maltese Falcon) on dvd for about $6.00 a piece.

By the way, get use to the slimcases because the retailers and consumers are running out of room if Warner keep's releasing boxsets at their current rate which I think most of us what them to continue to do so.

Crawdaddy

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Well, it stopped being about the movies long ago. As for the packaging, some like it and some don't. Personally, I think Warner usually does a terrific job on their packaging. I like slimcases, but I also like uniformity.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks