What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Fifth Element: Ultimate Edition (RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I doubt whether the trivia track is related -- the apparent encoding error is only on the first file of each disc.

Again, please take this with a grain of salt until I can verify it with other software. I have so far heard no evidence of anyone other than Gary from DVD Beaver experiencing any video issues with any of these releases.

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator
Someone on the AVS forum "reviewed" the release, and even mentioned that it's 2.40:1 AR, as opposed to the 2.35:1 on the original superbit, restoring cut-off screen area.
I cannot post the link, as I haven't posted 15 times yet, but here is an excerpt ("Real Reference" thread in Digital Software/Movie forum):

First off, is it a different transfer? Yes. The first superbit transfer was 2.35:1. This one is 2.40:1 and you'd be amazed at what you'd missed from previous crops, and they were cropped. One case in point, when Skinner confronts the manifestation of evil for the first time and tries to fire "the maximum" into it, the leaky brown crap occurs on his forehead. In the superbit transfer it was barely noticeable leaking down. On this transfer, there is a whole lot more noticable, in fact it leaks down a good 5 inches and that's when you realize, I never saw his hair before. Another point is worth noting. When Zorg is questioning the priest in his office. The top of Zorg's head was always chopped off. The entire head is noticable with this transfer. The superbit transfer was cropped both ways. So mush for OAR

That's all I'll post. Just wanted to point this out.

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator
I suggest tracking down the actual Real Reference thread over there. The poster mentions other differences he noticed with the picture as well.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Great review!

I'm a little nervous though...my DVD player does 3-2 pulldown based on meta-data flagging of the content...so this disc may pose problems...wahh! I don't have the new spidy sb disc yet or Leon so can't check them to compare. Wondering if I should take the plunge or wait for bluRay...

-dave :)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
They should consider progressive flag seriously and a basic feature like anamorphic transfer. Even the cheapest players here are all progressive players. Your grandma’s player is progressive here! When I watch a DVD with a bad progressive flag, it’s totally annoying. NO SALE! :thumbsdown::thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
But the incorrect flagging doesn't mean it's flagged as "video"...it means that the wrong fields have been paired together.

In such a case...still stepping frames with very little motion would appear clean if your player was doing flag-based frame reconstruction. However, fast-motion frames may reveal combing...can you still-step through some of those and confirm?

thanks!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I've looked at the VOB files with DGIndex. It would appear that only the initial few seconds (prior to the Columbia Pictures logo) is flagged interlaced -- the rest of the film is flagged properly. I am going to update the original review post to reflect this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks