What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Schindler's List (Highly Recommended!) (1 Viewer)

Seth--L

Screenwriter

Spielberg borrows heavily from films made in the late '40s by Polish survivors turned filmmakers whose films are so authentic looking, that they continue to be mistaken for documentary footage, such as Jakubowska's Last Stage (1948).

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator

Same here; for some reason I never have seen this movie other than a minute or two here or there. But put me into the blind-buy category, as I will definitely be picking this one up. Also disappointed that it is a flipper, though.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I saw this movie a couple of months ago for the first time on widescreen VHS. If you have not seen it, it's definitely a great blind-buy.

I am of the opinion that Schindler's List is also being released in a box set. with a coffee table book. a senitype. and a CD of john williams"s music as well as a certificate of authenticity. can anyone tell me more information about that coffee table book? thanks. RICH;)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"Spielberg borrows heavily from films made in the late '40s by Polish survivors turned filmmakers whose films are so authentic looking, that they continue to be mistaken for documentary footage, such as Jakubowska's Last Stage (1948)."

Kaminski says the primary source of inspiration was Italian Neo-Realism like The Bicycle Thief, spliced with Carol Reed's The Third Man and Welles' Citizen Kane. Spielberg's instincts are inescapbly drawn back to that which he saw and studied in his youth. There's a deep-focus shot in a Cathedral early on, where Schindler scores a contact with the black market, there are layers of principal actors streching further back and back and back into the frame, all leading your eye to the main focus of the composition. That's right out of Kane. There's another scene where Poldek runs for his life in the sewers that is straight out of The Third Man. Another shot showing racks of goods in a train station is right out of The Bicycle Thief, almost right down to the film grain.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I don't mind that it's a flipper. It's fundamentally no different than a 2 disc, in that once the movie reaches it's limit on that disc, I have to get up and put the 2nd disc in, or flip over the disc. It's essentially the exact same action with the exact same result.

And disc art means absolutely zero to me.

And I'm getting this thing the instant it hits shelves. Thanks for the review.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
^ some people have a dvd changer that can allow them to change the 2 discs with ease.

I don't have one so it doesn't matter to me.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
all apologies for belittling the inconvienience for the multitude of changer owners ;)

Didn't even occur to me. Sorry. Didn't know changer sales were so large.

My bad ya'll.

Jough

Stunt Coordinator
I prefer two disc sets because it means one fewer surfaces to worry about fingerprints and scratches.

And I find that most DVD-18s seem to be packed by hand for some reason - nearly every single one has fingerprints, sticky spots, scrathes on it - sometimes even an outline of a sneaker in dirt.

I've noticed this also with some multi-disc boxed sets. Just horrible.

So I expect to have to return Schindler's List four or five times just to get a clean disc.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't be suprised if its the same book I got with the Laserdisc set which is basically the novel. If you want a picture of that just send me a pm with an email address and I'll take a picture of it.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
How is the side break handled? Does it cut to black like on laserdisc, or does a fake "intermission" card come up? Also does side 2 start by itself, or do you have to go through a menu first?
BTW there ARE players that will autoflip DVDs. So there.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Sounds nice. This is definitely on my must-buy list.

Anyone know where the film switches? IIRC, the old VHS switched at 135 minutes and tape 2 begins with Schindler in prison.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I'm definitely planning on getting this one myself. For a DVD-18 of the film with a couple of featurettes on the real history of the Schindler Jews and the Survivors of the Shoah Foundation and no typical DVD extras (audio commentary, trailers, TV spots, EPK featurettes), this is an atypical DVD indeed. But given the extremely sensitive and historical nature of the film, it cannot be overlooked for anyone's DVD collection.

(BTW, since I have the VHS box set already, with the photo booklet, the book, and the CD, I'm just going to get the main DVD itself.)

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Long live DVD-18!
I have a flipper changer but it is not my primary player.
I'm still convinced I live in some strange Bizarro world that wants 2 discs when they can have one.

Give me one disc everytime.

I'll never understand it. I'd rather get up and flip then fumble around for an entire other disc.

I'll look at the pretty artwork on the case.

This wasn't a must buy for me (not a huge fan of the movie) but I support DVD-18s whenever I can.

Derek_McL

Second Unit
Not a great fan of flippers because as has been said they are more likely to get scratched etc. A shame they couldn't have made this a two disc set as this wonderful film certainly deserves it. This is a must buy for me as I think its one of the greatest films ever made : I wonder if Universal in the UK will give region 2 people two discs when it comes out in the UK in April ?

Bill J

Senior HTF Member

I agree completely. I'll be buying the disc regardless, but I hope the break isn't at horrible location like on the Gangs of New York DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks