What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Schindler's List (Highly Recommended!) (1 Viewer)

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I'm buying this no matter what. No ifs ands or buts!
I'm building my Spielberg collection anyway and am glad this personal (some of my relative's were on the list, don't know their names, but they're genetic relatives...) and historically accurate DVD no matter if it's a DVD-18 or not, I'm gonna buy it regardless.
Just thought I'd tell you fellow DVD freaks (hey, I'm a DVD freak too!) the purpose of my purchase.
Thanks.

CraigL

Screenwriter
As I said on DVDtalk...

If I decide to pick up this set, i'm going to see if any other region has it all on one disc (doc. on the second disc). If they got rid of the two other soundtracks (worthless IMHO), it would probably all fit with just the 5.1 and DTS. I know koreandvds.com is already promoting it as a two disc set so i'd probably pick it up from someplace with that.

I absolutely hate double sided discs.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Craig,
I agree this should've been a two disc (Both discs DVD-9) and would also agree with you about the liability of handling issues. Mebbe we could make a petition that a film such as Schindler's List should get a 2-Disc DVD-9 release due to historical importance. Anyone agree with me on this?
Ray

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
DVD is a 2-sided medium. Deal with it. (Would you take a 2-disc set if they both had pictures of Bozo The Clown on them???)

CraigL

Screenwriter

Is it really? Because i have about 350 discs and I'd say a handful of them are two sided. Facts dispute your little "deal with it" theory.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe the quibbling's gotten this mean spirited.

The movie is still on the disc whether there's disc art or not, right?

Let's keep some perspective here.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Robert,
I agree with you. We should support each other about what we're buying on and DVD not over some petty stuff! Why can't we all just get along...
Ray

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Even with only a 5.1 track, the film probably wouldn't fit on a DVD-9 without having problems. Some films are able to fit nicely if there (Like Amadeus), but that usually depends on the amount of action. Amadeus is 3 hours long in its director's cut form, but a lot of the film has little movement in the frame. (plus, it's 2.35:1)

So, the choices are to have the film on one side with compression problems or to have it on two sides without those said problems. DVD is becoming to be about the discs instead of the movie... it's sad, really.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Pat,
I was coming up with the possiblity for 2 SEPERATE DVD-9's for this release. I hope I cleared that up for you. First disc for movie, second for extras. Oh, would you recommend me on the purchase on the 2-Disc Special Edition of Amadeus? I've been pulling my hair out about whether to buy it or not because I'm a HUGE fan of Mozart's work.:D

Ray

P.S. Due to the length of the film it wouldn't be able to fit on a DVD-9 (Disc 1 of 2 of proposed deely.) Please explain so I can understand you better. Thanks.;):emoji_thumbsup:

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Is there any reason why they couldn't have fit the 5.1DTS version on one disc and the others on a second with the extras.

Kevin

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I REALLY don't want to fuck up this disc but I'll take every precaution not to. I'm not even going to lend this out to my 'casual' DVD friend watchers. In other words, I'm gonna be REALLY picky on my handling use for this disc! I treat my regular DVD's like they're priceless artifacts and Schindler's List should be no exception from me whatsovever. Mebbe I should put it in my 'Priceless DVD' vault...:frowning:

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I want the disc to best represent the movie. I don't want to damage a film as precious as this on a DVD-18. I just really don't want to take that risk. I love the movie that much! I feel I should let NO ONE borrow this (except me Mum, she treats her DVD's with the utmost care like I do)and put it in my 'vault' of untouchable for other persons' DVD use.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Great movie, great DVD. Typical excellent Warner 2-discer. Dare I say it, but I consider the 3 hr. director's cut to be a superior film to the 1984 theatrical version.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Pat,
I too most of the time prefer an extended edition of a film on DVD. More story, sub-plot, character development and the like makes me buy the Extended/Longer/Director's Cut/Special Edition films.
No double-dipping for me!
Ray

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
It was mentioned before in this thread, but the disc art really did serve as secondary function in that there was less surface for fingerprints and scratching. But that's not really important.

Yeah, I was in the laserdisc days. Sadly, it wasn't hand in hand with OAR.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Sorry, Craig, I don't empathize. I was a huge laser disc aficionado and side/disc changes were the norm. It was a very acceptable trade-off for the (then) superior picture quality. I just don't quite understand the huge inconveniance involved in getting up for a few brief seconds to change sides or discs. Granted: ideally, all movies between two and four hours long should be spread across two layers of a single side in order to allow a film to flow without interruption to the end. But it just doesn't seem like a gigantic pain in the ass to me to get up, stretch a bit, offer any guests I have over a short intermission, then insert the second part. Then again, I am a guy who still prefers a single-disc CD player.

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Yikes, here we are fighting for OAR, reference quality soundtracks amazing video yet we complain about a DVD-18? Let's be thankful we get Schindler's List in OAR with great picture and sound. It could have been worse: no OAR or compressing the whole film onto 1 disc with no DTS. Perhaps this is why some studios (they know who they are) are doing such a bum job because we're just getting "too" annoying and gripe regardless of what they put out. Schindler is coming and in great form, just be happy for that...especially from Universal.

AJG

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator

Seth L I think this was just dramatic compression. I'm sure I remember reading or hearing an interview sometime after the movie came out which said that Schindler did, later on in his life after the war, express those "I could have saved more" sentiments. But I don't see how Speilberg could have shot the scene in an emotionally affecting way if he'd done it as a flash-forward with Neeson in old-age make-up.

I too must admit I would prefer a 2-disc edition, not just because I'm so lazy that I'd rather be able to hit the 'skip disc' button than to have to get off the couch and flip the disc over....well, yeah, mostly because I'm that lazy.:) But also due to the smudge & scratch issues.

But I'll definitely be buying this one, regardless of configuration or cost.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

According to Amazon, this is what the book is:

Schindler’s List: Images of the Steven Spielberg Film book

I assume that means it is a book with pictures of the movie locations, set, cast, and crew.

I'll be picking up the set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks