What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Pretty Woman 15th Anniversary Edition...WARMLY RECOMMENDED... (1 Viewer)

Tony Scello

Second Unit
David,
I believe there is some additional dialogue during the first meeting between Edward and Vivian, a longer restaurant sequence and a longer group of scenes when Edward takes the day off to be with Vivian on their last day together. Does anyone know if the scene with Edward and Vivian on the piano is extended also? I want to say that it is but I'm not sure. There may be other minor extentions (besides the scene with them back at her old club with the street thugs/chauffeur with the gun)that others might be able to help identify.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The scene on the horses replaces another scene that was in the theatrical cut.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Great review! as always, David.

I bought this new DVD and watched it on Friday night.

Has anybody noted all the similarities of this movie to My Fair Lady?!

Starting with their titles.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Very similar to My Fair Lady!

She goes to a horse race...well sort of...a polo match...where all the "uppity" soceity folks hang out (totally out of her element).

The opera scene is like when Eliza goes to the ball...

many, many more moments where My Fair Lady was almost a 1:1 parallel...glad you mentioned that!

DeeF

Screenwriter
One can find a parallel for every single character.

Pickering = Barney Thompson (played by Hector Elizondo), the hotel manager

Zoltan Karpathy = Phillip Stuckey (Jason Alexander)

Mrs. Pierce = Bridgit (the store manager played by Elinor Donahue)

even

Freddy Einesford Hill = David Morse, the son of Edward's competitor -- she talks to him at the Polo game!

David Morse was played by Alex Hyde-White, the SON of Wilfred Hyde-White (Pickering in My Fair Lady). Coincidence?

I DON'T THINK SO.

:)

DeeF

Screenwriter
Yes, you got me, George. Alfred P. Doolittle doesn't really have a parallel in Pretty Woman.

But the one character in Pretty Woman that doesn't really have a parallel in the earlier movie is Kit, the best friend/roommate, and the one who started Vivien out, and she also provides comic relief.

I think Kit, as such = Alfred P. Doolittle

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Kit's parallel is Eliza's father...

she is her "pal" from her former life who she continues to maintain sparatic contact with as she "transforms" and then finally says good-bye to at the end of the film...

Remember how her father came to the house once in MFL? Kit comes to the hotel at one point too...

like most of the characers, the analogy isn't strict, but it fits nicely.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Offtopic: David, the Benq 8700+ should be HDCP-compliant over DVI, according to Benq.com's official data sheet:

ftp://12.145.38.159/projector/datash...e8700_spec.pdf

I did a google search and checked out a few AVSForum threads to confirm. Also, I think the Panasonic S97/S77 will work with the Benq 8700 over DVI (with an HDMI adapter).

BTW, another very nice review David.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks