What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Live Aid: The Day the Music Changed the World (1 Viewer)

Eric_R.

Stunt Coordinator
Why the Phil Collins bashing? He did an awesome job with Zeppelin and looked like he had a great time doing the whole thing in general.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I know some great drummers who hold Phil Collins in high regard and will do so until their dying day. Musically, he is brilliant.

That said, DDD shipped my set yesterday. Can't wait, Rick Springfield or no Rick Springfield!

Kipp Teague

Stunt Coordinator
The Live-Aid DVD set is a must-buy. I am very pleased with what I have watched so far, both in terms of picture quality and sound. It's also a great deal for 10 hours of vintage performances.

For those interested in the details of what is missing on the DVD set, here is a link to a complete list of Live Aid performers and songs:

http://www.live-aid.info/pages/livea...etaileduk.html

The listing reveals, for example, the bands who performed that day but who do not appear at all on the DVD set, including The Hooters, The Four Tops, Billy Ocean, Rick Springfield, Santana, The Power Station, and "Plant, Page and Jones."

As the listing also reveals, the DVD set omits individual songs from several acts, including two Beach Boys songs ("California Girls" and "Help Me Rhonda"), three of Neil Young's performances ("Sugar Mountain," "Helpless" and "Powderfinger"), Sting's "Message in a Bottle" (which was included on the 1995 VH-1 10th Anniversary highlights rebroadcast), and Bob Dylan's "Ballad of Hollis Brown" and "When the Ship Comes In." Also omitted is Phil Collins' second performance (in the U.S.) of "Against All Odds" with his infamous piano flub during the intro.

The DVD inner-packaging artwork also includes the original concert poster, which lists several acts who did not ultimately perform, including Billy Joel and Tears for Fears.

Kipp

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Sweet I'll buy this for sure!:D

Just kidding guys, Phil is definately a great drummer, and a fine performer. I just can't stand him anymore. I'm actually surprised that they dropped the second performance of Against All Odds ( a song I hate, BTW) as I remember that as being pimped through out the day as one of the big deals: Phil collins performing that song on 2 continents on one day. Apparantly the musical warfare of Phil Collins was just too much for the producers. Sorry again, I just can't help but rip Phil. I used to not mind him, but now I find I can't listen to him. At all. Not solo or with Genesis. But enough about me and my a**hole opinions.

I'm picking this up on Friday, and can't wait to do so!

I almost forgot.. Rick Springfield didn't perform Jesse's Girl??? He had other songs? What did he do... Hum the theme to that soap opera he was on? I'll stop now...;)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I eagerly await the first "No Hooters no sale" post from some hardcore Hooters fan from Philly. For those of you who missed the 80s, I am talking about a band, not the restaurant chain where the wings are as hot as the clothes are tight. :)

Regards,

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Checked out disc 1 last night. Somewhat awkward menu set up, but the sound more than makes up for it. Why is it that if music DVDs can sound this good that all movies don't?

Package is pretty cool. They did a nice job with this.

James_D

Auditioning
Hello everyone. I am a newbie around here, so if this is an innappropriate post, let me know.

I bought the set last night, but decided to read some of the reviews posted at Amazon. Some of the reviews seem to suggest that the Region 1 and Region 2 releases are somewhat different. Does anyone know any more about this? I did google it, but my boolean logic seems to be failing me.

~james

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
This is a no-brainer at 20 bucks.

For what its worth, I was a senior in high school and a Hooters fan during Live Aid. (I'll still be buying the set.) Around the same time, we saw the infamous show at Philly's ill-fated JFK Stadium featuring The Who, The Clash, Santana, and THE HOOTERS. :D This was probably a few years earlier....foggy memory at this point.

Eric_R.

Stunt Coordinator
Well there was a rumor about Phil messing up the Zeppelin set. Phil addressed this at an interview that I attended. He mentioned how the other drummer was trying to outstage him and Phil was there just to play the song, not deal w/ some drummer.

Here's what someone remembered him saying at that interview regarding the event:

" Phil also talked about Live Aid for a lot longer than I thought he'd go into it. He talked about how tired he was when he was supposed to play drums with Led Zeppelin and that he was pissed at them for refusing to include their songs together (only 2 or 3) on the upcoming DVD. He said that he had sent an email to either R. Plant or J. Page, but hadn't heard back from them. He also claimed to have encouraged Cher to go and perform for the Live Aid concert. Most of you know that he was the only person to play in both London and New York (or was it Philly?) on the same day for this concert, but that's not how Phil wanted it. He talked about how it was supposed to be him and two other musicians - he felt if just he went, it would seem like he was full of himself and he didn't want that image - however, the other two musicians never showed at the airport, so Phil wound up going by himself. "

Eric_R.

Stunt Coordinator
I picked the set up today. The audio for Wembley is awesome. the DTS track sounds great. Since the US stuff wasn't multi-tracked, it sounds a lot flatter in the rear channels. The video is quiet good for almost 20 years old.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Well, in '85 I was only 7 years old. I've never seen this concert but I did grow up listening to most of the music featured within. I just finished checking out Warmer's "Live Aid" DVD site and I literally had goosebumps watching some of the video clips, especially the "Do They Know It's Christmas" finale.

I compared the performances on the DVD to the listing from the site someone provided above. Although it would've been incredible to see some of the other performances, such as Zeppelin, Billy Ocean, as well as the full Black Sabbath set, I don't see how I could possibly pass this up. This set is literally a treasure trove of nostalgia, and I think I'd be crazy not to buy it. In fact, the "Do They Know It's Christmas" music video being included literally sealed the deal for me. Seems to me that this would be 10 hours well spent, even if it isn't the complete event.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The video for "We Are The World" on the DVD is in mono, I have the original home video release of the making of the song and complete video in stereo on a slightly-rotted laserdisc and Beta tape. (There was a commercially-released Band Aid videotape as well which was in mono, that video is in stereo on the DVD.)
Duran Duran's first song was "View To A Kill", the DVD shows the intro then cuts the song and goes to Simon Lebon's "Let's celebrate" announcement before "Union Of The Snake". I recorded the ABC TV special that night which includes both those songs but goes to commercial before they do "Save A Prayer". The TV special also came back from a commercial break with the last 15 seconds or so of Patti Labelle's "New Attitude", I wish they'd included that on the DVD. Led Zeppelin made the show as well, but most of it was ruined by Dick Clark talking and introducing other stuff recorded earlier while it was going on, then finally going to the stage in the middle of "Stairway To Heaven".
The booklet mentions a few things that were not included and why, but doesn't explain these. Still a great set even if not complete. If anything, it's very UNDERpriced!

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I still think that, instead of food, they should have bought some mercenaries and and weapons with the Live Aid money and sent these into Ethiopia to take down the warlords starving the people in the first place. Give a man some food, you feed him for a day. Give him some guns so he can shoot the warlord starving his people, you feed him for a lifetime. Unless that man then becomes a warlord himself, in which case, he will then need to be shot, necessitating Live Aid II.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
You guys really disgust me. This DVD is a charity release for ****'s sake. Bitching about 'hey, dude, my favourite band isn't there in its entirety, so this release sucks and I'm not buying it' is bone-headed, petulant and utterly missing the point.

There are sound reasons why a full set of songs would have been great (first, to stop the pirates releasing them; second, because refusing permission looks like petulance) but to whine about something designed to raise money for starving people is so self-centred it's beyond credence.

And even if the compilers of the discs were as obsessive as contributors to this thread, there is a simple reason why not all performances could be included - some of the performances are no longer available in any shape or form on decent-quality tape.

Yeah, right. Armed intervention in Africa always brings such positive results, doesn't it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks