What's new

HTF REVIEW: Farscape, Season One (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!) (1 Viewer)

GarySchrock

Second Unit
Yeah, that's my biggest complaint with the farscape series. It takes too damn long to get them. I'm kinda adverse to buying the individual releases, because ultimately it's more expensive, but I'm not real thrilled with the prospect of having to wait another year and a half for season 3 and 4 in season sets. But I'd also kinda like to sit down and go through the series again to refresh myself before the miniseries comes out late this year, which makes the situation even worse.

Kai Zas

Second Unit
Great review, David! It's good to see there's still so much interest in the series after the cancelation. Let's hope the mini series spawn a new season.

(I don't know any of the plot, but I sure hope it's not too *final*.)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member

Yes, I know, but in the end consumers will evaluate how much something is worth to them in cost and convenience. I know why the release schedule and price is absurd, but I don't have to like it. Their corporate nonsense lost them this customer and I'm sure a quite a few others, though I'm sure their making a nice hunk of change anyway.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Better to lose some customers, than not make much money at all on the property. They have to decide what is best for them, and this is it. Personally, I'm just happy that they are coming out on DVD, and since it hasn't been that long since I've seen the episodes, I can also wait.

Personally, rewatching B5 is taking up most of that time anyways...

Jason

MikeMcNertney

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know how the season 2 box set was priced, but when I bought the season 1 box it was a bit over $100 I think. The two-disk volumes which have been released for the rest of the series can be gotten for $20-$25 each, with 5 or so per season. So the price difference isn't that much really

I actually really like one thing about them releasing the disks individually. If any of my disks get damaged, I can buy a replacement for that one instead of a whole new $100 set, as you would have to do for most shows

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member

I hear that. B5 is the only drama I'm keeping on DVD.

I don't really blame the Farscape people per say. I was just pointing that out for folks who are interested in buying or watching the show. For me, deciding not to purchase the DVDs allows me to watch the show earlier.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Nice review.

FARSCAPE is an excellent series. Cool stories, great acting (the actors seem to really grow into their roles as the show progresses), visually beautiful, an EPIC ROMANCE.

Cricthon kicks!!

If you liked season one, you'll love season 2! The character arc of John Crichton is really something special (in my opinion) and not the direction you'd expect the character of the typical "hero" to go.

I was very happy with the quality presentation of the DVD. It is a shame that the video quality of other excellent Sci-Fi TV shows on DVD leave a lot to be desired.

I found the first season box online a couple of years ago for $85 and I found season 2 this December at Best Buy for $95. Not too bad, really.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I didnt watch Farscape until the first dvd came out. I became hooked instantly and its one of my fav shows now. In celebration of the announcement about the new miniseries tonight ive started watching it from the beginning tonight.

Anyone who hasnt seen it, should give it a try

capt

Juan Pascual

Auditioning
Hello everybody. This is my fist post, and I am glad it is about one of my favorite series, Farscape.
I live in Spain and here the Farscape's DVDs aren't published. My spoken english is very limited so I need the subtitles to understand all the dialogues. So, please, May somebody confirm me what version of Farscape (Zone 1, Zone 1 Canada, Zone 2 UK, Zone 4 Australia) includes English subtitles?
Thank you very much.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Mike, how would you sell (figuratively of course) Farscape to an avid B5 fan just like yourself? I am looking for some new SF material.

--
H

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Holadem,

Farscape, to me, is completely opposite from B5, but excellent in it own way. Where B5 is the mature, stately, satisfying tale that unravels poetically, Farscape is like brash upstart that shocks and awes its way through the story.

The plots don't always make as much sense as B5 (where almost everything is pieced together brilliantly), but then it doesn't matter. When B5 fails, it's painful, because it breaks the bubble of perfect story telling. When Farscape fails, it's all part of the fun. Farscape's stylistic attitude is "why the f*** not?" They are fearless when it comes to how they look and sound, cartoonish at times and equally stupid and brilliant at times.

Farscape purposefully challenges sci-fi and TV conventions just for the heck of doing it and it is endlessly entertaining. There is a lot of humor, with characters sharing the audiences sense of confusion and criticism (there have been a number of occassions while watching where I said, "That's ridiculous!" and then a character says the same thing). The producers are in on the joke with us.

At the center of it all are the grounding forces of the compelling main characters, John Crichton and Aeryn Sun. The actors are so good and their heart is so in it that it makes everything else OK. The romance is plausible (usually) and they are just always great to watch. The supporting characters are great because of their contrast to each other and the two principles.

When watching B5 it's like I'm wrapped in this other world and it's "real." When watching Farscape, I'm constantly conscious that I'm watching a TV show, but I'm often laughing and cheering along.

Because they're both so different and so good, it makes me feel like everything that could be done with sci-fi TV has been done.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, I wouldn't call them complete opposites, but very different.

Farscape is far more character based than B5 is. While you have great characters in B5, it is all centered around the plot. In Farscape, the plot kinda takes a backseat to the characters.

A lot of the show is Crichton (and us as the audience) deal with an enviroment that is alien. I think they succeeded far better than any other show at this. You have aliens that actually are alien, and not always bipeds with wrinkled foreheads.

Even when they use standard Sci-Fi conventions, they actually show that you can do something good with it. Who knew that a time travel episode or a body switching episode would feel fresh again?

Jason

Brian Kaz

Second Unit

It's imperative you stick with the show past the first half of the season, which is not quite up to the FS standards later set (except for "DNA Mad Scientist"). They are good, just not great. It wasn't until episode 15 ("Durka Returns") that I got completely wrapped up in this show. Same went for my 3 friends that I turned into FS fans.

I have seen pretty much all sci-fi/fantasy on tv over the last three decades and to me, nothing comes close to Farscape. The series just kept getting better, and just when you think it couldn't anymore...it did it again and again.

Your time watching will be time well spent.

Juan Pascual

Auditioning
Please, May somebody confirm me what version of Farscape (Zone 1, Zone 1 Canada, Zone 2 UK, Zone 4 Australia) includes English subtitles, even if they are closed captions?
Thank you very much.

Nicodemus

Stunt Coordinator

As far as I know, none. At least not zone 4 or zone 2. I'm not that sure about zone 1, though. I have zone 4 sets and I am very happy with them: the dialogue is very audible and clear, so subtitleness (is that a proper word?) shouldn't stop you from buying Farscape sets.

Juan Pascual

Auditioning
Thank you very much for the information.
My problem is that I am from Spain and here the Farscape's DVDs aren't published. My spoken english is very limited so I NEED the english subtitles to understand all the dialogues.
So I can only buy Farscape if there are english subtitles. I know the Region 2 version doesn't include them (poor deaf fans :frowning: ) so I need to know about the Region 1 version... Some reviews say there are subtitles, others ones say there aren't...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks