What's new

Weekly Roundup 3/26 (aka "The Star Trek: TNG" Edition) (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
[c]
WeeklyRoundupLogo.jpg
[/c]
Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, the week of the release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website...but it COULD still be in-stores!
[c]
_________TITLE___________Amazon_BestBuy_CrcCity_CostCo_SamsClub
All In The Family - S1__$29.96__$27.99__$34.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Clifford TBRDog #2______$13.99__$19.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
First Men in the Moon___$18.71__$_N/A___$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Iron Monkey_____________$22.49__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
K-Pax - SE______________$21.24__$16.99__$16.99__$17.49__$17.48
Life As A House_________$19.99__$19.99__$16.99__$_N/A___$16.98
Meet The Feebles________$11.24__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Original Sin (Unrated)__$20.24__$19.99__$16.99__$_N/A___R-only
Peter Gunn #1___________$29.96__$34.99__$29.99__$_N/A___$25.48
Peter Gunn #2___________$29.96__$34.99__$29.99__$_N/A___$25.48
Slap Shot - 25th Ann.___$21.24__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Slap Shot 2: Brkng/Ice__$20.24__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Star Trek: TNG - S1_____$104.99__$99.99__$149.99__$94.99__$94.48
Till Death Us Do Part___$29.99__$34.99__$29.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Watership Down__________$14.99__$17.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Xena - Series Finale____$18.71__$19.99__$16.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
[/c]
* For those of you with a Fry's in the area, they have an absolutely [rant]INCREDIBLE[/rant] price on Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 1: [rant]$79.99!![/rant] :eek: Link Removed :thumbsdown:
* Still, BB actually comes off better than most of the competition for this item! Other TNG prices at brick-and-morter stores (other than those listed above, of course): Tower Records $134.99, K-Mart $129.98, Borders $124.99, FYE $117.99, Wal-Mart $103.88, Blockbuster $101.99, and Suncoast $99.99 (with free CD-ROM). Keep in mind that these "B&M Store Prices" are taken from the stores' web sites, and so might be different in the actual store. I expect Wal-Mart's in-store price to be higher, for instance. But keep an eye on FYE...they may do something nutty in the way of markdowns! Or not. They did for The Simpsons, so maybe... :)
* All in the Family is also out this week, don't forget...AND the UK show that inspired it! "Till Death Us Do Part" is something that a lot of our Brit members here at HTF absulutely adore, and I hope to get a review copy of it in the next few days. It should be something special, which is why it got into the grid.
* Xena - The Series Finale is another one hitting this week. Try to pick it up and show your support to Universal - which just bought out USA Home Entertainment and so owns this product. Make sure they see the profit in TV-on-DVD, so they can bring on the season sets of Xena, and maybe lots of other TV product they control (like Battlestar Galactica maybe?).
* In fact, there is a LOT of TV-on-DVD hitting this week! 19 TV shows are represented: Star Trek: The Next Generation, All in the Family, Xena, Peter Gunn, The Honeymooners, The Lucy Show, Andy Griffith, Upstairs Downstairs, Jeeves and Wooster , Till Death Us Do Part, Farscape, Lexx, Mystery Science Theater 3000, Poirot, Pokemon, Clifford the Big Red Dog, Madeline, My Little Margie, and the WWF to round things out! Support your favorite TV shows, and look for reviews on a few of them at TVShowsOnDVD.com. Also, that site is giving away 10 free copies of Peter Gunn through Tuesday, so be on the lookout for that. I hope noone minds me plugging my friend Gord's site, especially since the idea for the site came from the HTF, and also I give Gord a small amount of help there with design advice, release information, reviews, and soon even data entry! :D All that aside, there's some great classic TV shows hitting on DVD, so everyone share their thoughts on how well some of these discs are, and whether they're worth buying.
* Target has K-Pax for "Low Price", ditto for Slap Shot 2. Life as a House is $16.99. They also have numerous ads for other decent DVD bargains. Check it out in their flyer, or find the flyer images at Target's website.
* K-Mart has these for $19.95 each: K-Pax, Life as a House, Slap Shot 2. They also have several DVD's for $6.99 in their ad, including Death on the Nile and the Supergirl 2-disc Limited Edition. I highly recommend the latter for fans of super-cheese...the Intl. Cut definately improves the movie! And it satisfies the super-completist in me. So keep an eye out for that super-deal. Besides, Peter O'Toole is in it. ;)
The latest markdowns according to VideoTropics web site (DVD Title/Old SRP/New SRP):
-------------------------
None! But a massive list headed this way next week...
Other Price Reductions not listed at VideoTropics:
--------------------------------------------------
Nope; none here either. I'm sure there are some out there somewhere, but I can't find 'em!

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Thanks David. I'm still irritated by the various ST TNG prices. I wish there were a Fry's in my area as they seem to be the only ones to "get it".

Still waiting to see if Deep Discount DVD will price match Outpost. Funny we never heard back from Martin Blythe about whether this was the pricing scheme Paramount planned on when they went no MAP/no MSRP.

K-mart here I come. So glad I couldn't decide on Supergirl oh-so-long-ago.

Michael Johnston

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone confirm that Fry's in-store price will be $79.99? I am worried because I didn't see it in their newspaper ad, and would really hate to make a 1 hour detour for nothing. :angry:
Thanks,
Michael

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Michael, the only answer I have is that Fry's/Outpost lists it under their "Link Removed". Not being a Fry's shopper (since none are in Memphis), I can't speak to what the accuracy ration is between online and instore advertised specials.
Call them before you got an hour out of the way!
As for Wal-Mart, I was just there and asked the media area manager on duty what the price would be in-store for TNG. She went to the back room, came back and told me that she held the item in her hand, and described the box pretty well, and said the green sticker on it said "$99.94". So there's the in-store price for Wal-Mart.
I next went to K-Mart to look for the $6.99 specials. They had none out, nor could I find an employee to help me find them. :frowning:
A sudden rainstorm prevented me from looking further, so I didn't make it to Circuit City to investigate TNG further. I'll have to stop by there tomorrow on the way home. If anyone else has some input on that, please let us all know!

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still irritated by the various ST TNG prices. I wish there were a Fry's in my area as they seem to be the only ones to "get it".
Yeah, damn the other companies for not selling a disc at $15 dollars below cost. It's the consumers right to rip off business... :rolleyes
Knowing the local Fry's, unless it is in their printed ads, they won't honor the Outpost.com prices.
Daniel L

Daniel Mai

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding Fry's STTNG ($79.99??), the only way to find out is next week or by Friday's (3/29) ad since I've noticed they've always offer deals on Fidays after the Tuesdays releases. We shall see and I would love to pick this up since I'm only about 3 miles from Fry's.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, damn the other companies for not selling a disc at $15 dollars below cost. It's the consumers right to rip off business...
Daniel - do you have some clear indication of what "cost" on this item is? The only official that I've heard was from Martin at Paramount. He said that there would be no MAP or MSRP, and that he expected the regular (everyday) price to fall out at just below $100. I would expect less online and with first week, but all retailers seemed to agree to set the MSRP at $150. I don't beleive this was the intention.

If you have some concrete evidence that $79.99 is at a $15 loss, I'd love to see it.

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Michael, You can always call the closest frys on Tuesday. Even Fry's can quote a DVD price. Yes I find that hard to believe too, but they do, you may have to push them to find the "correct" product.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Typically cost is 35% below the SRP. Considering that Paramount wanted the everyday price around $100, I'm putting the cost at $65-75, which would still mean that Frys is making a profit.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
DDD renderred a price match for me on the Outpost.com pricing. I'll miss street by a week and save $15. Having found Supergirl yesterday at K-mart, that'll just have to keep me occupied until next Tuesday. I might be _forced_ to pick up "Life as a House", "Watership Down", or "All in the Family" though.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Jeff K. is correct (or very close). Don't ask how I know, I'm not at liberty to say. $79.99 is not a loss on the item, but it's close to cost and when you factor in costs for running a B&M store (bills, rent, employees, etc) Fry's certainly isn't making much money off of it.

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator
Well, if Paramount uses a wholesale pricing scheme similar to Warner (Approximantely 39% off) then the wholesale cost would be around $82 bucks. This would bring it to about $82.50, assuming the "SRP" is $134.99.

All I know is the store I work at had to pay about $95 for the setw through distributors, and that's the best we could find with all seven major distributors. (Unfortunately, we aren't big enough to buy direct.)

Daniel L

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Target shows a $99 price in our area (regional?) that is packaged with a CD ROM game. Other than the game, is that Target set any different than the others offered?

Bob

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
One note on outpost, they are usually cheaper than Fry's. They plan to make money in the shipping charges. (I guess)

David, thanks for the Slap Shot/Slap Shot II info! Yeah, someone wants it, someone who cares nothing about STNG. =)

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
Deep Discount DVD ("DDD") gave me the price match on Outpost.com as well. John - did they include the ground shipping added to 79.99, for a match at $84.96 shipped? I was impressed with DDD - they responded within 5 hours of my request.

To price match, email DDD (see info on their price guarantee page). Include a URL link to the Outpost.com page showing ST:TNG Season 1 price. As I mentioned, they added the Outpost.com ground shipping to the listed price for its matched price (since DDD has free shipping, it seems fair). DDD packages are sturdy cardboard and they have great customer service, in my experience.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Fry's in-store B&M price for ST:TNG is $109.99. Not such a great deal after all. I guess they will be making a profit with this one. But not from me!

Tom McLeod

Auditioning
I stopped by Fry's in Dallas this morning and the clerk was putting the Star Trek TNNG box set on the shelf and said it was on sale for $ 99.99. There was not any sign to that effect, but I have noticed they sometimes have new releases on sale that are not marked.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks