What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Disney Treasures - Mickey Mouse In Living Color Vol 2, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED (1 Viewer)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
The audio-sync issue has been mentioned in other reviews - it doesn't immediately jump out at you unless you're an animation junkie, but it's there.

RomanSohor

Second Unit
I'm not sure whats up with the Sync issues in "Runaway Brain" I just watched it, and Minnie's "slap" definately sounds before she hits... but the mouths look ok everywhere else to me... or at least really close to perfect. I know when they animate they don't animate the mouth perfectly the way someone would talk, because it just looks crazy with the character's mouthes moving constantly... just my $0.02... and I am an animation junkie :)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"I know when they animate they don't animate the mouth perfectly the way someone would talk, because it just looks crazy with the character's mouthes moving constantly..."

They don't animate mouths perfectly because we first have to form the words and manipulate the sounds coming from our mouths to communicate - the sound comes after the physical action. Sometimes when the animation is "perfect", it actually looks instinctually wrong -- not because there is too much movement, but because the sounds are coming almost imperceptibly too soon.

This isn't the case with Runaway Brain - the audio for the entire cartoon is off just a hair.

Love that video game Mickey is playing - Dopey vs. an apple-throwing witch, complete with Wilhelm.

DavidKNML

Agent
I finally received my set from Amazon today. I started with Mickey because my daughter loves him. We watched dick 2 and I didn't notice the sync problem. I'm off to watch disk one.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
David,

You might want to rephrase your posts.

You didnt notice any syndication problems on dick 2?

Well, that is interesting and all, but this is a site for Home Theater. :laugh:

Just kidding you. I know you made a typo there.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I remember seeing Mickey and the Beanstalk as a kid, but I don't think I ever saw the live action intro. Having seen it on MMILC2, I have to say...

I'm afraid.

Those dummies are the scariest damn things I have ever seen.

And he was the worst ventriloquist ever. He seemed to open his mouth more when he was providing the dummy's voice than when it was actually supposed to be him speaking.

Other than that, disc 1 was great. Looking forward to moving on to disc 2.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
There's no doubt that Edgar Bergen moved his mouth, but Charlie McCarthy & Mortimer Snerd were such hilarious characters, that I never minded. :)

Regards,

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Agreed. Ventriloquism is more than just talking without moving your lips. It's giving life and character to a hunk of wood. Bergen did that wonderfully. Charlie and Mortimer are very well designed and sculpted, too--such character in those faces. Did you notice there was a second head used for Charlie with his mouth sculpted in a frown/grimace? Interesting!

Years ago I had seen one of the many re-done intros to the cartoon; this one had Bergen but the little girl was now played by his own daughter, Candice (yes, that Candice Bergen). I had thought it was the original version until I watched the DVD!

guille verdun

Stunt Coordinator
TRULY AMAZING...what a great DVD!!.

Wave 3 rules...Mickey...Front Lines... Donald...Tomorrow Land... i just purchase also the ''going sold out'' Fantasia Anthology''... Disney Month for me baby!!

But i'm mad about that the others ''waves'' are only avaliable NOW for 169$ + tax with no tins. Sad in did.

Have a nice day!

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Charlie McCarthy often made fun of the fact that Bergen moved his lips when Charlie talked - the audience loved it and didn't care a bit. Bergen created characters so strong that audiences were more than willing to go along with the act.

The funniest thing about Bergen & McCarthy is that their greatest success was achieved on radio! ( And they were a very big success in their time. ) There is a wonderful moment in Woody Allen's RADIO DAYS in which his uncle can't understand why his wife is laughing herself silly at a radio show that's obviously inspired by Bergen. " You're laughing at a ventriloquist ON THE RADIO !!!!" he screams at her. " Who cares - they're funny!!" is her reply - which is pretty much how I feel too.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Here's the easter eggs:

Where:
On the main menu of disc 1, highlight the cane by going down while "Captions" is selected.
What:
This is a film of a recording session with Walt Disney voicing Mickey Mouse and Billy Bletcher voicing Pete.

Where:
Highlight "The Sorceror's Apprentice" on the bonus menu on disc 1. Go left. This highlights a music note.
What:
This is a promo reel for a Standard Oil campaign Disney Studios worked on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks