What's new

HTF EXCLUSIVE! Twilight Time March/April 2017 Release Announcements (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Three definitely, maybe more.

I'm fascinated to see what Sony have done with You'll Never Get Rich and what Twilight Time do with the music-only soundtrack. I've seen this film many times in repertory theaters and I never saw a really good print. Peyton Place is very welcome. The DVD is simply not good enough. I hope this is one of Fox's miraculous transfers.
Hopefully there will be a music-only track. There was not one for "Cover Girl" another 1940's Columbia Picture. If there is, will they be able to remove sound effects like taps. Glad to see they are going heavy with classic films this go round. I wonder if "You'll Never Get Rich" is one of the films Twilight Time got for allowing Sony release a 50th Anniversary edition of "Guess Who's Coming To Diner."

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Only one in this release batch is a definite for me (Baby Boom (1987)) but I might also check out How to Succeed In Business wiithout Really Trying.

Did get my TT/SAE Christmas order in, even after paying for that cruise. Now to practice the rug dance I'll be doing in front of my wife to explain this.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Peyton Place and How To Steal A Million will be day one purchases, along with TT's already announced Two for the Road. Already have my digs in for Barefoot Contessa and Keys of the Kingdom. Can't wait.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I am making one big order for many titles released December through April 11th once the preorders for the April 11th releases are live.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I know I should know the answer to this, but when do the pre-orders go live?

I need to be in ASAP for How to Succeed...

THAT'S exciting!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It's usually around three weeks before the title will be released - so if this is set for a March 14, I'd imagine the pre-orders will go live around the last week of February.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I am keeping my fingers crossed after all these years the stereo tracks for How to Succeed were found. Such a great musical, I saw it when it opened in Minneapolis and remember being so impressed with the stereo sound, so it would be a shame if the stereo tracks continue to be lost. I know a collector in California who has his own print in mag stereo and I have tried over and over to get him to loan it to MGM or Fox so it can be released in stereo but alas he continues to hold back.

That said I am in for How to Succeed, Peyton Place (wow should be great in stereo) and The Fortune Cookie.

Twilight Time, any chance of releasing Torch Song Trilogy?

Reactions: PMF

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
It's usually around three weeks before the title will be released - so if this is set for a March 14, I'd imagine the pre-orders will go live around the last week of February.

But getting down toward two weeks or even a tad less...

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
For me, five out of the nine releases. Though, I might try Another Woman too.

Baby Boom
Our Man in Havana
Peyton Place
The Fortune Cookie
How to Steal a Million

ANOTHER WOMAN is one of the better "serious" Allen dramas. It actually has some psychological substance. The performances, not unlike those in most of the director's films, are exemplary. I would recommend its purchase, but maybe try streaming it first, as it isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ANOTHER WOMAN is one of the better "serious" Allen dramas. It actually has some psychological substance. The performances, not unlike those in most of the director's films, are exemplary. I would recommend its purchase, but maybe try streaming it first, as it isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea.
I've already seen Another Woman, I liked it, but I'm questioning the re-watch value of this film for me.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
I have seen an HD version of PEYTON PLACE and it appears to be taken from the same master as the dvd. Good news to hear thatFox have been restoring this great film (which improved noticeably on the original novel and boasts one of Franz Waxman's best scores). I have been to Camden twice and looked at locations where they shot the location sequences and once met a former worker at Fox who was part of the crew which went there. (He said Russ Tamblyn and Diane Varsi got up to mayhem while they were there). I like Miyoshi Umeki in SAYONARA, but I believe Varsi should have won for PLACE that year (and maybe Tamblyn too,who gives a very sensitive performance).
Great to learn that Robert Morse and Michelle Lee have done featurettes for HOW TO SUCCEED and that the sound has been remixed to 5.1. Interesting to learn from Joe Caps that Coffee Break was in the film for a time. I wonder when it was removed during the run at Radio City. Where is the snippet from it in the trailer Ken? Nearly every other number looks to be featured but I couldn't see anything resembling stills from Coffee Break (which for memory were all over the LD cover). I have heard that UA junked their outtakes in the '80's (or around that period). The best we could hope for would be if a collector somewhere has it, The deletion is obvious as the cut is jarring after the coffee break is announced and the cast run to the dispenser. A pity we lost 'Paris Original' and 'Happy to Keep His Dinner Warm', two great songs from the score. Another abrupt cut occurs after Lee first meets Morse (which leads to the latter number in the play) so I have often wondered if it was shot and deleted well before the release of the LP and film in 1967. Either way, it looks to me as though that scene was intended to go a bit longer. i believe Lee replaced the original Rosemary in NY and the actress who portrays Hedy LaRue (Maureen Arthur) was in the touring company. Interesting that Hedy Lamarr sued Mel Brooks over a variation on her name being used in BLAZING SADDLES but as far as I know had no problems with this show spoofing her name. Some readers may not know that director David Swift does a cameo near the end of the movie as an elevator operator who speaks a line to Rosemary.
I recall in the early '70's that Hoyts in Melbourne did a season of musical movies (the last city screenings of most of them) and paired this film with another UA musical with a long title: A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM. I didn't get to it (but finally saw SUCCEED in a cinema in NY in 1981) so I don't know how well this double performed, but I recall thinking it was a brilliant idea to pair them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks