What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: The Cutting Edge 3: Chasing the Dream (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

The Cutting Edge 3: Chasing the Dream

Release Date: Available now
Studio: MGM Studios
Year: 2008
Rating: PG-13
Running Time: 1h32m
Video: 1.78:1 anamorphic
Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1: English
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish
Packaging/Materials: Standard DVD keepcase
MSRP: $26.98

The Feature: 1/5
Professional figure skater Zack Conroy (Matt Lanter) is forced to find a new pairs partner when his longtime cohort, Celeste Mercier (Sarah Gadon), gets injured in a training accident. To replace her, he set his sights on amateur hockey player Alexandra Delgado (Francia Raisa), whose childhood dreams of being a figure skater went unfulfilled because of her parents' limited income. With a world competition only weeks away, Zack and Francia must work quickly and overcome personal obstacles if they want to fulfill their lifelong ambitions.

"The Cutting Edge 3: Chasing the Dream" has everything you'd expect from a direct-to-video, second sequel to a popular 90s sports-romance movie. Meaning it's bad in almost every possible way. The groan-inducing list includes but is not limited to:

* dialog that ranges from insipid to stilted
* amateurish performances from almost everyone in the cast
* contrived and nonsensical conflicts and situations
* cartoonish villains and opponents
* poorly disguised use of stunt doubles
* lots and lots of montages

When a movie veers so far from what would be considered "good," I have to consider whether the filmmakers were targeting a particular audience. While I can see the film's general story and themes appealing to young teens, I can think of a number of better titles that would be more inspirational, if not entertaining. Better to watch them - or actually take up figure skating - than to waste time on "Chasing the Dream."

Video Quality: 5/5
For all of "Chasing the Dream's" problems, video quality is not one of them. The 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen image is impressive, with solid and deep black levels, accurate contrast, and beautifully saturated colors. The picture is also free of edge halos, dust, dirt and print damage.

Audio Quality: 3/5
The Dolby Digital 5.1 track is largely front-focused, with minimal surround support occurring mostly during the many music montages. Dialog is clear and intelligible and LFE is essentially non-existent.

Special Features: 2/5

Making of the Cutting Edge 3: Chasing the Dream (11m32s): Standard promotional featurette includes interviews with the primary cast members and the director.

Deleted scenes (3m02s)

Recap and Final Thoughts

The Feature: 1/5
Video Quality: 5/5
Audio Quality: 3/5
Special Features: 2/5
Overall Score (not an average): 1.5/5

Direct-to-video sequel does nothing to change expectations about its content, but manages to surprise with the quality of its video transfer.

[PG]119367101[/PG]

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Isn't one of them supposed to be the kid of Doug and Kate from the original?

Toepick!

I was on the fence about whether or not to buy this, but after reading this review, it's a must buy! ;)

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I shudder to think about how bad this must be. I purchased a previously viewed copy of the first DTV sequel (since I had the first film) and couldn't force myself to sit through it. I love the original movie a great deal, but it's hard to figure out what they're striving for with these sub-par DTV releases.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I wondered whether this would fall into the "so bad it's good" category, but it doesn't go far enough to qualify. I'm not sure if it was my just wanting it to be over, but the last 15 minutes seemed worse than everything that preceded it.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The woman who plays their coach was in the first sequel. I didn't catch any character carry over from the first film.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I believe this film premiered on cable (ABC Family?) a few weeks before the release of the DVD making it technically a made for TV film rather than a DTV release. Based on what I saw of the broadcast, all I can say about Cameron's review is that the first six minutes were every bit as bad as he described, and I pity him having to watch the whole thing.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks