What's new

HTF Car of the Week (12/26): 2004 Audi S4 (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
2004 Audi S4

Just take a look at it. What a beauty. This time Audi went crazy (in a good way). Replacing the 250hp turbo 6-cyl. of yesterday's S4 comes a tweaked version of Audi's 4.2L V8 pumping out 344hp/300ft-lbs. Other exciting features are an available 6-sp transmission, 18" rims, and full-time AWD. Wagon (Avant) and sedan versions available. Shipping starts July 1 (acc. to one dealer in my area).

BMW M3, meet your match. Too bad it's only limited to 155mph ;) (acc. to Motor Trend).
Discuss.
(whoops! mods: please include the car name in the title thread!)

Cam S

Screenwriter
I would much rather have the RS4, mmmm, twin turbo, 400hp. The S4 sure is a great car though.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I'm happy with my A4 3.0 :) I like the interior better.. don't need the zoom zoom of the S4 or RS4. I can already go plenty fast enough to get my self in trouble.
But the S4 and RS4 are sweet cars... nothing like FAST 4 door sedans ;)

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Here's what Automobile mag in the UK thinks of the new S4 vs M3 debate...
S4 vs M3
Hint, the M3 wins :)
I don't see how the new S4 can be seen as anything other than a disappointment. The styling is questionable, it's got the usual soft Audi handling, and despite the power increase it's still behind the performance curve.
I much prefer the old one.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
I would take the new S4 with the following wheels and Kerscher body kit..
IMO it was a mistake for Audi to abandon the turbocharged engine in the S4, though.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
I don't see how the new S4 can be seen as anything other than a disappointment. The styling is questionable, it's got the usual soft Audi handling, and despite the power increase it's still behind the performance curve.
How can you say such a thing? Please! Automobile mag gave the nod to the M3, yes, but praised the S4 as well. The only real complaint was the S4's steering. It will also eat the M3 in the wet. Not to mention the power is more accessible than the rev happy M3. And styling is your opinion... most like the new A4.

I think both a phenominal vehicles, and I praise Audi for putting a V8 in there. The V8 Turbo RS4 will be sweet when it comes out...

Mike D.

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator
OK, maybe I was a little harsh :)
The reason I say it's a disappointment is due to the pre-release hype the car was receiving in magazines and on the internet. Once people found out it was a V8, HP and performance figures started flying around, and the rumours seemed to settle on 380HP and a sub-5 second 0-60 time. As we now know, the reality is less impressive.
No argument on 4-wheel drive being better in the rain though! A couple of friends have 3000GT VR4s, and they're truly impressive in wet conditions.
I'm sure it's still a great car. But Audi could have taken the opportunity to really raise the bar, and they didn't IMHO.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
I'm pleased with my '01 Lexus IS300, but it couldn't touch an S4 with a 953-ft. pole! :) Dang, I love that car! Actually, I love the styling of the new A4 series!! My lease is up in 18 months, I may test drive an A4 and see how I like the drive.
Scott.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I don't know. I dig the V8/6-speed combo. It's a sort of "M5-lite," if you will. It'll be interesting to hear a little Detroit-style rumble coming out of that thing. The (quite rare) M5 sighting always make me do a double take.

Todd

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
sorry but I have to give my nod to the 2003 and older too, the old biturbo V6 lent itself well to upgrades.
I really do think the biturbo S4 will be the next turbo supra of the ricer world :frowning:

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Well, Audi never really hyped up the new S4 like the press and the forums did. They gave us exactly what they said they would, an S4 with a V8. Must owners of the older S4 are down because the bi-turbo V6 was very tunable, as any turbo car is. The V8 will be expensive to tune. But, it already has nearly 100hp more than the old engine, and now has a nice v8 rumble.

Audi seems to be making their S line of cars more for the general public, with a performance flair and using the RS line to do battle with the M's and AMG's.

My gripe with Audi is short-changing the current A4 on HP. 170HP on the base 1.8T just doesn't cut it these days, and the 220HP V6 just makes up for the extra weight over the older 2.8 model (which I use to have) that had 190HP. For this reason, I stayed away from the A4. I hope in a few years when I'm car shopping again they'll get their HP figures more in-line with the rest of the changing industry.

Mike D.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
I have it on good authority that Audi will be releasing a 220hp turbocharged model of the A4 in January. The car will be referred to as the A4 Turbo and will essentially carry the same powertrain as the 225hp turbo version of the TT.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
On thing mags never look at is cost... an S4 is still a lot cheaper then an M3.
That's my biggest peeve with reviews... they usually don't take into account the cost :-/ And MOST of us don't have unlimited budgets :)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I wonder where these horsepower figures are going. I mean, we have run-of-the-mill family haulers with 240+ horsepower. If hp is going to be a major deciding factor for mainstream buyers (we already know it is for enthusiasts) then Audi isnt the only company that needs to play catch.

Name ONE American car that leads (or even comes close to leading) its class in hp. I cant think of one. Compare the new Accord and Altima to Ford, Chrysler and Chevy.

For Chevy, I guess it depends on if you compare the Accord and Altima to the Malibu or Impala. I personally think that the number of people who cross shop the Accord or Altima against the two chevies is probably about 50/50 so if your looking at the Malibu, your talking a 70hp difference and even the top of the line Impala (3.8 liter) is a 40hp difference. The 2004 malibu is supposed to have an optional 225hp engine (a good improvement), so then what happens to the Impala? Needs at least 250 hp IMHO.

Chrysler has the Stratus/Sebring twins. Their V6 is 40 hp short, and even the decked out Intrepid (R/T or whatever) only has 255 hp but probably weighs 5-600lbs more than the Accord.

Ford? Well, with the Contour gone, I guess we'll have to talk about the Taurus. Of course the SHO is gone so we're still talking 200hp best case.

And of course, the American car companies seem really reluctant to work with forced induction even though the foreign majors seem to have made it work reliably. Off the top of my head, american cars with FI that are here or coming include the Dodge Neon and PT Cruiser, Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (and sister car Buick Regal) and thats all I can think of (is the new Ford Focus SVT a turbo?) We have Subaru, Mazda, VW/Audi, and Mitsubishi all making 170-220 hp out of 2.0 liter or smaller engines, yet GM can only get 200 HP out of a 3.8 liter (240 if its supercharged)? Imagine if you put an after market supercharger on the new Accord V6.

I know none of these cars compete with either the A4 or the S4, but point being, the middle market is raising the bar, and it makes me wonder where the economy and entry-lux levels are going to go.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
The HP race is getting out of hand. I'd prefer (and as a car enthusiast, I don't say this lightly) to see them level off on the HP, and start really focusing on fuel economy. I mean, an Accord that goes 0-60 in the low-mid 6s, is getting silly.:)
Todd

Stephen_Opipari

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
The new S4 is really sweet, but with a rumored price tag of $45 - 50k, out of my league. Guess I'll have to stick with my 02 1.8T A4.

I personally am really glad that they went to a classic V8 with just tons of torque and hp all through the powerband. Should be a great car and I can't wait to see them about.

I'm actually looking forward to the new A6 got which Audi has supposedly pushed up the timetable on a US release to coinside with the 'rest of the world' of fall 03. That's more likely to be my next car after the A4.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrharris
Recent bookmarks