What's new

HTF Car of the Week (1/10): 2004 Volkswagen Touareg (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
2004 Volkswagen Touareg

Just take a look at it. What a swell ride. Car & Driver rated the new VW Touareg #1 out of eight competing SUVs. Why? Because it's quick, rugged in the woods, smooth on the highway, stylish, and just plain great. Two engines are available including a 32V 4.2L V8 @ 310hp/302lb-ft. The Touareg (which I know I am pronouncing incorrectly) rides high on big 18" Bridgestone Turanzas. It rides even higher when the air suspension system can give up to 11.8 inches of ground clearance.
There is a whole host of interior amenities including 4-way climate control, optional 11-speaker stereo system, 12-way power seats, and available navigation system.

Add the 6-speed Tiptronic auto in the mix, and you have yourself one sweet $46,000 machine.
drive on baby

Scott L

Senior HTF Member

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I almost went with the Murano (or the FX45) this week. There's also the new Caddy SRX and Lexus RX330. All in all, there are some nice SUVs coming up.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
Scott, I almost went with the Murano (or the FX45) this week. All in all, there are some nice SUVs coming up.
The FX45 looks almost like a rebadged Murano, but from what I understand it's a different frame/body/engine. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sounds like the Touareg is a very impressive SUV.

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
I saw the new Touareg at the North American International Auto Show yesterday at the supplier preview day. It is definitely a very nice looking SUV, larger than I expected. I wouldn't an SUV again, but if you're in the market for one the Touareg looks like a winner.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Decent looking but not much different than all the other small SUVs out there. $46,000 is definitely too much though. On looks alone I defintely prefer the Murano.

Cam S

Screenwriter
46 grand for a VW? That is seriously expensive, that's like 80 grand Canadian!! I'd much rather have an Audi for that. It does look pretty decent though, but I often find the similarities between the VW's and Audi's are small, yet the Audi's are not much more.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I believe the correct pronunciation of Touareg is supposed to be TWAH-REG.
Yeah, the Porsche and the VW are basically the same thing, except that the Porsche has a 450hp Twin-Turbo V8 available.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Muranos are all over the place in Oregon. The styling is definitely selling the car.

The Touareg looks like it should belong in the Audi lineup; beautiful understated curves; much better looking than the Cayenne, which has a horrendous front air dam.

Caleb Penner

Agent

It should be mentioned that the air suspension system is optional. But that is decent clearance.

This car is pretty cool. But does anybody know if the 313 hp V10 Turbo Diesel will be available in North America? It has 550 lb-ft of torque...

Caleb

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
When I was at the San Jose International Auto Show earlier this week, I saw a Porsche Cayenne (essentially a VW Touareg but with a somewhat different interior).
I was surprised the vehicle really isn't that big--it's not much bigger than the Nissan Murano. However, the price of the Touareg is definitely seriously big--well over US$40,000. :eek: At that price I'd rather get the Murano if you're looking for a decent all-weather vehicle.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
I like the Tourag interior but the exterior is too boxy.
Did see a Murano in my neighbourhood today and while I am no SUV lover the car was nice, especially from the rear :b Pretty aggressive looking.
The Chrysler Pacifica that is coming soon has the best looks in this class IMHO.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Wow Aurel that car looks smooth. Don't know if I wanna race it or cruise for show. Only fear is that Chrysler will put an underpowered engine in it, but I have to admit it looks more like a sleek family car than a roadster. I'd think a vehicle like that would be more suited in the class of a WRX Wagon rather than a small SUV.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
decent looking suv. ive been seeing those new nissan suvs around town lately, not bad looking, except for the front, which is horrid. cant wait to see the touareg. really cant wait to see the phaeton.

CJ

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
except for the front, which is horrid.
I agree the Nissan Murano has the worst looking chromed out grille I have ever seen. It reminds me of my baththub drain :D
The rear is well thought out and aggressive.
And what is it with Nissan ... all their new models have this humongous "belt buckle" badge ?!?!?! Do we have to know from a 100 yards that a Nissan is approaching? Reminds me of the Q45 badge when it first came out in the early nineties.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
The Chrysler Pacifica that is coming soon has the best looks in this class IMHO.
Yeah, that's nice. Isn't this the first car to be completely designed by Daimler/Chrysler. I mean, the first whole car they have designed together?

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
The Porsche Cayenne has the same chassis, but the body and interior is quite different. I prefer the Touareg over the Porsche any day. And VW also has a W12 that we may see over here in the good old US. Not to mention adjustable suspension.
If I liked SUVs I'd surely consider one of these, but I'd much prefer an S6 Avant over any SUV :)
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks