HTF Car of the Week (1/10): 2004 Volkswagen Touareg

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck C, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

2004 Volkswagen Touareg
    [​IMG]
    Just take a look at it. What a swell ride. Car & Driver rated the new VW Touareg #1 out of eight competing SUVs. Why? Because it's quick, rugged in the woods, smooth on the highway, stylish, and just plain great. Two engines are available including a 32V 4.2L V8 @ 310hp/302lb-ft. The Touareg (which I know I am pronouncing incorrectly) rides high on big 18" Bridgestone Turanzas. It rides even higher when the air suspension system can give up to 11.8 inches of ground clearance.
    There is a whole host of interior amenities including 4-way climate control, optional 11-speaker stereo system, 12-way power seats, and available navigation system.
    [​IMG]
    Add the 6-speed Tiptronic auto in the mix, and you have yourself one sweet $46,000 machine.
    drive on baby [​IMG]

2. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i believe the correct pronunciation is:

"tour egg"

kevin t

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

4. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Scott, I almost went with the Murano (or the FX45) this week. There's also the new Caddy SRX and Lexus RX330. All in all, there are some nice SUVs coming up.

5. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

6. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

I saw the new Touareg at the North American International Auto Show yesterday at the supplier preview day. It is definitely a very nice looking SUV, larger than I expected. I wouldn't an SUV again, but if you're in the market for one the Touareg looks like a winner.

7. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Decent looking but not much different than all the other small SUVs out there. $46,000 is definitely too much though. On looks alone I defintely prefer the Murano.

8. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

46 grand for a VW? That is seriously expensive, that's like 80 grand Canadian!! I'd much rather have an Audi for that. It does look pretty decent though, but I often find the similarities between the VW's and Audi's are small, yet the Audi's are not much more.

9. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Isn't the Touareg a rebadged Porsche Cayenne? Or is it the other way around?
    [​IMG]

10. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I believe the correct pronunciation of Touareg is supposed to be TWAH-REG.
    Yeah, the Porsche and the VW are basically the same thing, except that the Porsche has a 450hp Twin-Turbo V8 available. [​IMG]

11. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Muranos are all over the place in Oregon. The styling is definitely selling the car.

The Touareg looks like it should belong in the Audi lineup; beautiful understated curves; much better looking than the Cayenne, which has a horrendous front air dam.

12. Caleb Penner

Caleb Penner Agent

It should be mentioned that the air suspension system is optional. But that is decent clearance.

This car is pretty cool. But does anybody know if the 313 hp V10 Turbo Diesel will be available in North America? It has 550 lb-ft of torque...

Caleb

13. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

When I was at the San Jose International Auto Show earlier this week, I saw a Porsche Cayenne (essentially a VW Touareg but with a somewhat different interior).
    I was surprised the vehicle really isn't that big--it's not much bigger than the Nissan Murano. However, the price of the Touareg is definitely seriously big--well over US$40,000. [​IMG] At that price I'd rather get the Murano if you're looking for a decent all-weather vehicle.

14. DougKuhn

DougKuhn Stunt Coordinator

Unlikely we will see the V10 TDI over here. Unless America sudddenly makes a turn to liking diesel. Sharp looking truck though...but I have a biased view since I am a VW enthusiast.
    Here's some more info on it if anyone is interested: http://www.vwvortex.com/features/07_...08/index.shtml

15. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

I like the Tourag interior but the exterior is too boxy.
    Did see a Murano in my neighbourhood today and while I am no SUV lover the car was nice, especially from the rear :b Pretty aggressive looking.
    The Chrysler Pacifica that is coming soon has the best looks in this class IMHO.
    [​IMG]

16. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Wow Aurel that car looks smooth. Don't know if I wanna race it or cruise for show. Only fear is that Chrysler will put an underpowered engine in it, but I have to admit it looks more like a sleek family car than a roadster. I'd think a vehicle like that would be more suited in the class of a WRX Wagon rather than a small SUV.

17. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    decent looking suv. ive been seeing those new nissan suvs around town lately, not bad looking, except for the front, which is horrid. cant wait to see the touareg. really cant wait to see the phaeton.

CJ

18. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

19. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

20. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

The Porsche Cayenne has the same chassis, but the body and interior is quite different. I prefer the Touareg over the Porsche any day. And VW also has a W12 that we may see over here in the good old US. Not to mention adjustable suspension.
    If I liked SUVs I'd surely consider one of these, but I'd much prefer an S6 Avant over any SUV [​IMG]
    Brian