What's new

HTF Blu Ray Review: U-571 (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Hey, the man knows what he wants. ;)

That's really all I ask of the movie myself, if it get's people curious enough to want to dig around and learn about the real events than more power to them, that's a bonus.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I should add that there are movies that pique my interest enough
to get me on the internets to look stuff up. so i do get why people do it.

most of the time though, it isnt this type of movie that prompts me onto the 'net

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Fair enough Tony. At least you´re honest.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
FYI...this BR does NOT qualify for the Universal $10 DVD rebate. It's for the BRs that are being released on 9/2 and I *presume* after.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I'm waiting for the American version of Downfall where the Americans take Berlin and defeat Hitler instead of the Russians.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
U-571 was a mild disappointment from the historical inaccuracy to the ham-fisted direction of Jonathan Mostow right down to some uninspired casting and mediocre performances.

Production value alone this is pretty amazing but it's just too flawed a film to me.

Now where the Hell is the Blu-ray of the ultimate WWII U-boat film, Das Boot?!

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I'm surprised this hasn't shown up yet since it was on of their first DVD releases and also one of their first Superbit titles.

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
This is an action/thriller/popcorn/etc. movie loosely based on a factual incident. If people watched the end credits more carefully, especially the Brits, they would see that the studio gives the actual credit for the original enigma capture(s) where it rightly belongs - to the British.

Brad

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Very good question. "Das Boot" is the ultimate U-boat masterpiece. I doubt, that we´ll see a better U-boat movie ever again (even the "mini-series" of that works).

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've asked that question to myself several times. I'd replace my DVD copy of DAS BOOT immediatley if SONY got off their ass and released it on Blu-ray. U-571, on the other hand, is a purchase only if the price is right.

I consider U-571 to be the ARMAGEDDON of WWII flicks and that is not meant to be a compliment. U-571 only finds a spot on my shelf because it is ear candy AND because I have a soft spot for WWII flicks.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Didn't we have this argument once before or was it 2-3 times?

Anyhow, I bought this again on Blu-ray because I like the film for what it is and was able to purchase this from Amazon for 13.98 due to it being part of an action pack of BRD along with Miami Vice and End of Days. Not bad for $41.95.

I will be shaking the foundation of my house by Wednesday.

Crawdaddy

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Loregnum

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob

Yeah I'm the same way.

I often find the real life event to be more interesting than the movie and then wonder why they didn't make the movie be closer to the real event.

As for U-571, I enjoyed it even with its historical inaccuracies and all. I do wonder though what Americans who don't care about it being changed would think if a movie based on Americans doing something got changed to say, russians. I bet these people would have issues with it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Most Americans my age grew up on biographies, westerns and war films which were about as inaccurate as you can get in regard to historical accuracy. Hollywood's poor record on such matters goes back to their silent film days. Their excuse, films were made mainly then and still are today to entertain people and hopefully make a profit for the studios. Luckily for us, Hollywood has improved slightly in the accuracy department, but they still have a long way to go in this matter.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Interesting comparison over at AVS, showing that for some reason Universal seem to have applied extra DNR to the Blu.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yeah we covered that in Mr. Harris' U-571 thread. AVS is not worth the electrons its printed on as far as a community any more and everyone there is a self appointed expert.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks