What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF Blu-ray Review: The TWILIGHT ZONE Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Costco!! If they're carrying these in my area, I'm in!

That's where I bought the Definitive box sets, come to think of it. One by one, as they'd get them in. No one had them for anywhere near Costco's price at the time I was buying them.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Stopped by my Costco this morning and they had a few of season 1 and 2 for $44.99. Unfortunate for me I'm looking for season 3 having just bought Seasons 1 and 2 in the DD B1G1 deal. Still I saved a few bucks going through DD, but seeing S1 and S2 at Costco with no S3 was a bit of a let down. Maybe next week.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Thanks to everyone here for the heads up on Costco, I just came home with the first three seasons at $44.95 each. Now for the suspenseful part of the process -- opening Season 1 and putting discs 1 and 4 through their paces this evening.

Also, I must say that I hadn't been excited about Image's cover art for the Blu-rays until I saw these nice slipcovers in the flesh. I had been disappointed to see them abandon the formerly striking black-and-white designs, but these colors are muted and classy.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Oh, sorry to hear that. Nothing like having something "off" in a set.
The spines, by the way, provide the classic B&W appeal, even if compromised by the ubiquitous Blu-ray stripe.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
The sets from the first 4 seasons, including this season, are sale priced at $46.49 this week until August 20, 2011, at Amazon.com.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
The set is down to a very low $38.49 at Amazon & it's really tempting me. !! I have the first two, but still haven't gotten to season 2 (or several other BDs) yet.
Blu-ray collecting & the quest to get more, could make for an interesting Twilight Zone episode.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by David Deeb /t/308870/htf-blu-ray-review-the-twilight-zone-season-3/30#post_3869549
Blu-ray collecting & the quest to get more, could make for an interesting Twilight Zone episode.

COLLECTED WORKS OF SERLING! COLLECTED WORKS OF GEORGE CLAYTON JOHNSON! BEAUMONT! MATHESON! EPISODES....EPISODES....ALL THE EPISODES I'LL EVER NEED! ALL THE EPISODES I'LL EVER WANT!!!" ALL THE EPISODES I WANT!!!

/Inserts disc into player. Tray jams causing player to overheat and fry hdtv. "IT'S NOT FAIR!!!"

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Lord Dalek said:
COLLECTED WORKS OF SERLING! COLLECTED WORKS OF GEORGE CLAYTON JOHNSON! BEAUMONT! MATHESON! EPISODES....EPISODES....ALL THE EPISODES I'LL EVER NEED! ALL THE EPISODES I'LL EVER WANT!!!" ALL THE EPISODES I WANT!!!
/Inserts disc into player. Tray jams causing player to overheat and fry hdtv. "IT'S NOT FAIR!!!"
:laugh: Nice one, man.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Three months later, and still haven't pulled the trigger.
Reading everyone's comments on seasons 3, 4 & 5, it seems there are some poor episodes mixed in w/ the good.
Are they really that bad? I think I need to get these final 3 seasons to go w/ the first 2 which I enjoy, but seems that only half are good (based on people's comments).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
David Deeb said:
Are they really that bad? I think I need to get these final 3 seasons to go w/ the first 2 which I enjoy, but seems that only half are good (based on people's comments).
There's less GREAT episodes in S3 compared to the first two but it's basically impossible for any show to hit that kind of level a third time in a row. Overall, there's a number of top notch episodes (Deaths-Head Revisited, Five Characters In Search Of An Exit and To Serve Man), plenty of lesser known really good episodes (The Grave, The Jungle and The Changing Of The Guard) and a handful of bad episodes (The Mirror, The Gift and Cavendar Is Coming).
If you really enjoyed the first two years and know that the show doesn't hit those heights again, I don't think you're going to be really let down by S3.
EDIT: To give my opinion some perspective, here's a few examples of what I think are great, very good and bad episodes of the first two years.
S1
Great: Walking Distance, Time Enough At Last, The Hitch-Hiker, The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street, The After Hours
Very Good: Third From The Sun, Mirror Image, Long Live Walter Jameson, A Passage For Trumpet
Bad: The Mighty Casey
S2
Great: The Eye Of The Beholder, The Invaders, The Odyssey Of Flight 33, Will The Real Martian Please Stand Up?
Very Good: Nick Of Time, The Trouble With Templeton, A Hundred Yards Over The Rim, The Obsolete Man
Bad: The Whole Truth, Dust

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Thanks Travis. I love your 3 tiered groupings. I'm reviewing the booklet in the S1 and S2 packages. I can relate to your groupings, so I'm sold.
P.S. does anyone remember the hilarious SCTV Twilight Zone spoof called "Doorway to Hell"? Every episode the twist was that the characters would be "in Hell" and the host would always ruin the twist for the audience (even though it was the same thing each time).

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of Season 3 period. I think the writing is generally less inspired and direction seems a bit less daring and experimental (no doubt because Douglas Heyes never returned to the show after Season 2). If I were to do a list similar to Travis's, it would look something like this...

Very good: The Grave, It's a Good Life, The Midnight Sun, Five Characters in Search of an Exit, Kick the Can, The Trade-Ins, The Dummy

Good: Two, The Passersby, Deaths-Head Revisited, A Quality of Mercy, The Last Rites of Jeff Myrtlebank, Person or Persons Unknown

Bad: The Shelter, The Mirror, A Piano in the House, Four O'Clock, The Gift, Young Man's Fancy, Cavender is Coming

Overrated: To Serve Man

As you can see its a pretty wide spectrum which sadly favors the bad episodes especially towards the end.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Forgive the multiple postings but it's always tough to find these reveiws so I'm posting this in all the TZ Blu-ray review threads.
I went through all of the DVD season sets and compared them to the Blu-rays. As far as I'm concerned, this is a DEFINITIVE list of the missing features:
S1 missing special features:
Time Enough At Last- The Drew Carey Show Clip (0:45)
The Might Casey- photo gallery (5 pictures)
Photo Gallery (24)
Serling Game Show photos (2)
Comic Book (DVD-ROM)
S1 special features now on a different set:
Netherlands Sales Pitch (4:34) NOW ON THE S5 BLU-RAY SET
Liar’s Club (2:32) NOW ON THE S3 BLU-RAY SET
Rod Serling Blooper (0:12) NOW ON THE S4 BLU-RAY SET
Billboards (3)- 1. “brought to you by Sanka”
2. “brought to you by Kimberly Clark” Kleenex (with drawing of Tissues, Towels, Napkins and Toilet Paper)
3. "was brought to you by Kimberly Clark" Kleenex (animated) ALL THREE NOW ON THE S5 BLU-RAY SET
S2 missing special features:
Twenty-Two- script (DVD-ROM)
The Jack Benny Show clip (5:10)
Billboards (10)- Veto Deodorant: “has brought you” (billboard #11 on the DVD set)
- Chesterfield Kings: “is brought to you by...” '21/20’ (billboard #12 on the DVD set)
- Chesterfield Kings: “has been brought to you by...” ‘Tabaccos Too Mild To Filter’ (billboard #13 on the DVD set)
- Contac: “is brought to you by..." (billboard #14 on the DVD set)
- Arrid: “has been brought to you by...” (billboard #15 on the DVD set)
- Palmolive Soap: “brings you...” (billboard #16 on the DVD set)
- Palmolive Rapid Shave: “has brought you...” (billboard #17 on the DVD set)
- Sanka Coffee: “is brought to you...” ‘...whole new blend of the world's finest coffees...’ (billboard #20 on the DVD set)
- Sanka Coffee: “brought to you...” '...whole new blend of the world's finest coffees...’ (billboard #21 on the DVD set)
- Oasis Cigarettes: Rod Serling (billboard #23 on the DVD set)
Photo Gallery (32)
Comic Book (DVD-ROM)
S2 special features now on a different set:
The Mike Wallace Interview (21:00) NOW ON THE S5 BLU-RAY SET
Tell It To Groucho clip (15:10) NOW ON THE S3 BLU-RAY SET
S3 missing special features:
It’s A Good Life: It’s Still A Good Life clip (1:09) and commentary by Bill Mumy
Sci-Fi Channel Marathon spots (5:13)
Night Gallery promo spots
- Promos (2:36)
- Bumpers (4:23)
- Teasers (0:30)
- Intro (2:58)
- Station IDs (7:19)
Photo Gallery (38)
Comic Book (DVD-ROM)
S4 missing special features:
Miniature: color scenes from syndicated version (18:16)
Billboards (1)- Micrin and Pretty Perm: “brought to you by...” *narrator says the product names reversed from the order they are shown* (billboard #23 on the DVD set)
Photo Gallery (17)
Comic Book (DVD-ROM)
S5 missing special features:
Highlights from the Museum Of Television And Radio (11:24)
Photo Gallery (61)
Rod Serling: Submitted For Your Approval 1:26:17

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks