What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: T2 Judgment Day - Skynet Edition (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I bought this player last November, so it's pretty new...

I was just able to access and play the several trailers. I'm thinking that not "all" features are unplayable here, and the movie itself should certainly be able to play.

There is one extras option on the main menu called "Skynet Access", and when I highlight this ONE option, it then says "requires 2.0 for content access".... but none of the other menu options say they require this.

My feeling is that the STUDIO CANAL logo goes for 23 seconds, and after that it gets stuck at 23 and freezes on the black and won't "jump" to the start of the main feature. I'm wondering if it's a faulty disc.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
what player do you have joe?

I hope I am wrong about the news about the 2.0. It was how I read it from other people that were having problems. I recently got the panasonic 60 and I also have the ps3. I have not gotten the t2 skynet. I have the original release from a couple of years ago.

Jacob

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
By the way, I returned the first disc to the store just in case it was defective, but the replacement disc has the same problem.

By BD player was bought only this past November, it's a Sony BDPS350, which has perfectly played all other BDs which were said to be problematic (like some Fox discs, like the Bonds).

This business of bothering with "the latest firmware" is a load of garbage. I even called Sony and they were willing to send me a free upgrade disc... But they asked me for my serial number of the unit and I am unable to get to the back of the player to do so. It's hooked up with all other wires and gizmos in a shelving unit and it's a pain in the neck.

So is there any other way to get this 2.0 upgrade firmware other than from Sony themselves? And do I have to give a serial number?

This is a real annoyance just to watch a damn movie.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

Well, it might be the difference between playing and not playing your movie. I would at least check and give it a try. Sony is good with firmware updates, so I bet a new one has been released since last Nov.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Joe, i have this player too. Let me ask, did you do the firmware update in Jan? Thats the last one i got.
Also, i never d/l a firmware disc, i have Sony send me one. Its easy, its free, and i dont have to worry about not being able to burn a disc, or have my player hooked up to the internet.

I dont have T2 yet, so i cant tell you if it plays on my 350. But when it comes, i will let you know.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Thanks. No, I haven't done a firmware update yet at all. I have at least 25 discs now but never had to do one.

So let me ask you - do you have to give your serial # to Sony to get the disc upgrade? And also, when does it end? Is this going to be something the studios are going to require us to do forever, say 3.0, 4.0, and beyond?

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Joe, where you been? I've had to get 6 FW upgrades for my Panny BD30 (bought last year) and at least 4 for my HDDVD A1 player (bought when it first came out.)

It's a pain, but I've talked to Panny and they blame the companies and the companies blame Panny...what a vicious circle.

All I know is, I have to keep up with the FWs or I'm outta luck.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Sheesh. I'd like to think at some point the upgrades will cease and we'll all be good to go permanently, though. I blame the BD companies, not the player manufacturers. And at the very least, Lionsgate will get an earful from me on this, for whatever that's worth.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks

I hear you!!!

All I want is the damn movie. I could give a shit about all the crap they add to it...so it doesn't play in our players.

All our bitching is falling on deaf ears it seems. How long did it take the bastards to give us anamorphic...almost 5-10 years!

We keep winning the little battles, but never the war...arguh!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Is there any further info on the 1.0/1.1 generation machines and this disc?

I've got a Panny BD 10 and am wondering if I shouldn't even be thinking about this disc.

Jake: Where did you get that info?

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Joe, no, you dont have to have the serial number. Just the model number.

I blame the studios for the need in firmware updates. They are the ones who put out the discs that have some change to...whatever...the player cant read. Fortunately, like others have said, Sony is really fast in firmware updates.
Even if your not going to use the internet (Profile 2) options, like me, you should still do the firmware updates. They usually update more than one thing in the player.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I think there is a problem with the bdlive. I have both the ps3 and the panasonic 30 which can do the 2.0. I am also having problems. it cann't connect to the site. however I am able to play the movie.

Jacob

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Mike, the problem being described sounds like one regarding firmware updates. I have both a PS3 (which is what I primarily use) and a Panasonic that I picked up last year, and I keep them up to the most current firmware.

If there is any doubt, I recommend looking up your player on the company website and checking both about firmware updates and 2.0 compatibility. That should clear everything up in a hurry.

I agree that it can be a pain to wait for all the interactive stuff to load up before you can just watch the movie, but I see it as the same thing as loading a software program on my laptop - takes a few seconds. But in the end, I'm happy with the payoff.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Over at The Digital Bits, Bill Young has just revised his statements about this Blu-ray and the issue of DNR.

Young is saying that Lionsgate is saying that no grain reduction was done for this edition - that the differences visible between this edition and the earlier US Blu-ray have to do with encoding differences between the MPEG-2 transfer on the BD-25 of the earlier release and the VC-1 transfer on the BD-50 for the Skynet Edition. Young is also saying that he can see fine grain and more detail now that he's looked more carefully at the transfer on his monitor, which is a heck of a lot larger than my 40". He also says that this transfer was approved by Lightstorm.

Thought I should add that in, as it might be crucial in helping people make a decision about whether to look this one over.

iDarren

Stunt Coordinator
I think most of us agree that turning special features into PiP is almost always a step backwards. I wonder why Van Ling did it on T2?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks