What's new

HT Wife of the Year (nominations, PLEASE) (1 Viewer)

TomK

Stunt Coordinator
I too feel that I must nominate my wife for her enduring support and assistance.
She has been right there along side me in the trenches of a year long home theater building project and renovation.
She was there handing me the tools, supplies and temper management support when we had to move the oil boiler in our house and redo the plumbing for the whole house because of it.
She was right there helping do what she could and lending support as friends and I replaced the center beam in our house so I could remove one of the support columns that would have been in the middle of the HT.
She put in countless hours of building walls, sanding drywall, painting walls, installing a ceiling, laying a floor, etc. She has been there the entire time with never a complaint, only support.
She gladly sits with me and re-watches movies in our collection after I have bought or replaced yet another component.
I could not have done the HT without her support and assistance. And she continues to be there for me while I continue to renovate. She is the best and I love and appreciate her very much.
------------------
Link Removed

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
My new bride of 3 months now, sadly, does not share my love of home theater. She's really not interested in the topic, and before we met all she had was a $50 CD/boombox as her "reference" stereo system (chuckle, chuckle) and a 27" TV. She often jokingly tells the tale of my horror upon seeing this arrangement! She is a fan of movies and music but not in any serious sense. Simply put, her interests lie in other areas. And that's ok...she's an absolutely amazing woman and she's very tolerant of me as I continue the quest for the perfect HT experience.
That being said, I'd like to throw her into the ring for HT WOY honors, for the following reason:
We live in a home that, while spacious, does not really have the room for a dedicated HT. That's never stopped me from trying to turn our finished rec room into one at every opportunity! We purchased a Mits WS-65907 in the beginning of the year, about 6 months to a year ahead of when we thought we'd buy it because we went shopping one weekend and she thought it would be a good idea to purchase it now. And she's given me great liberty to do things that are not perhaps in the best aesthetic interests of the room, for the sake of good home theater.
But I digress...so, we had a "chat" a couple weeks ago about the fact that we really need this room to be a multi-purpose room so we could entertain, etc. I was pretty bummed, but I knew she was right. Sensing my despondence, she promised that in our next house (a couple years away, probably) I can have a dedicated HT room and can do with it as I please (within financial reason, of course). Front projector, risers, soundproofing, front stage, whatever I want. Yippee!
Then she backed it up a day or two later by surprising me with a gift - a big book all about improving your house (shows how to build walls, install drywall, put up lighting, etc.). She said she thought it would be helpful as I plan the room. She even said she wants to help name the home theater and has been thinking of names!
I don't know if that qualifies her for HT WOY, but in my book it does because I know it requires a large degree of tolerance to understand the upgrades, tweaking, listening/watching sessions, etc. None of her hobbies are nearly as expensive as mine!
I consider myself very lucky!
------------------
Scott

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
It’s good to from you again, HTF’s famous resident Stereophile magazine contributor.
LOL!!! Thanks :)
That's a pretty impressive setup. I'm using a 70's Pioneer PL-12D with a 70's receiver for a phono stage. I'm saving up for a P3/RB300 or VPI Jr - not quite in your league, but closer than my current setup :) Me and my wife decided on how much of each paycheck I could set aside for stereo stuff, and I'm trying to stay within that limit. A better phono stage and RCM are next in line, though probably not in that order.
And yes, apologies to everyone else for these off-topic messages in this thread :)

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Excellent topic. I'll certainly be sending this link to my wife.
biggrin.gif

I too have a wonderful wife, one of those "best friend" types, and although she hasn't sunk as deeply into the quicksand that is the HT hobby, she can at least notice and appreciate the improvements I've made to our setup. She's sacrificed some of her ideas about the layout of the room (our HT is in the living room), and she's put up with my DVD-buying habit very well. She didn't complain (much) when I spent half ouf our tax refund on new front speakers, and she lets me tweak away till my heart's content. Who could ask for anything more? . . .
Now, if she'd just let me spend next year's bonus on a 36" or larger HDTV [sure, honey, we can get a direct-view set if you insist] - she'd be the HT Wife Of The Year™ for sure!
------------------
"You advance yourself only by my good graces."

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
I'll give my wife to be an honorable mention. We're getting married on Sept.15 and as soon as we get back from the honeymoon she's o.k.ed me to chuck my DCMs for an Atlantic Technology system 270.

Neil Weinstock

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Andy, after reading your wonderful post, I can't help thinking that maybe your wife should be on here nominating *you* for HT Husband of the Year!?!?
biggrin.gif

Jim Reynolds

Agent
All these material things are great,my wife enjoys these as well,but I've overheard my wife on several occasions (without any prompting from me)explaining the benefits of WIDESCREEN as opposed to pan and scan.Is there any prize for the winner? Jim

Andy W

Stunt Coordinator
Neil, you’re very kind, thank you. I didn’t write what I did to win any awards though. :) But I meant every word of it.
It also appears there are many others here who are equally fortunate. How wonderful.
P.S. – My wife did it again. Today, she brought home three presents for no occasion, a DVD and two CDs (and a bubble lined envelope to return our defective Jurassic Park DTS DVD back to Universal). :)
Okay, okay, I’ll shut up now. Back to your regularly scheduled Forum.

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator
I would have to nominate my wife for this award. She is very understanding of my habbit (addiction?), and supports me fully.
For example, we were walking around our local Circut City (I know, I know, we were just looking), and out of the blue she said to me "When are we gonna get one of those big T.V.'s?" Needless to say, I had a hard time keeping my mouth off the floor.
And also, I've spent about $650 in speakers & equipment in the past month, and half of that amount was HERS (and that doesn't even include how much I spent on DVD's)! She's already told me that I should start planning for a deticated HT room in our next house as well.
She's #1 in my book, and always will be too........Wil
------------------
"The rose petal floats on water,
the kingfisher flashes above the pond.
Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death."

al'Lan Mandragoran,
*******The Wheel of Time

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
My wife is great. I sell HT software and services for a living, and chose to do so over managing in another field for more money. She supported the decision all the way and we've never looked back.
Now that she's pregnant, she's really rocking my world. Just picked up an Onkyo 696, all new wires, new speakers, and she asked for a new Entertainment Center for all of my HT stuff for her birthday and picked it out. When I had it all assembled, she demanded that we put our DVD Boxed Sets in the curio part rather than knick-knacks,etc.
Before I got the Onkyo, I walked into Sears just browsing their selection. They had a display model Mits. 55" Widescreen for 1999 that I had them talked down to 1600 on. She gave the thumbs up for purchase, which was really great, considering the baby is due in October and -as many of you know - is NOT cheap! I passed on the TV, but she is persistant that we buy a brand new one early next year and that I get a subwoofer in the meantime.
I also love her for the fact that I fought with her for years about widescreen being better and after showing her the Die Hard supplement, she converted and was honest about it, right then and there. Most people wouldn't have fessed up to a spouse or anyone on a long-standing debate.
She rocks!!!
Matt
PS - Whoever posted that this belongs on After Hours spent more time reading and posting than just skipping over.... Sounds kinda bitter...
------------------
"And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

Tom Oh

Second Unit
So, many excellent spouses! I'll add my wife since I think she's great.
1. She let purchase a $10,000 Panasonic Plasma TV.
2. She also approved Sony 9000ES DVD player
3. She let me get a Wega 25" for the bedroom.
4. Approved purcase of Philipps Hi-fi VCR
5. All 4 purchases done at the same time.
6. Never complains about DVD purchases
7. Let me buy a PS2 as a 2nd DVD player and lets me play.
8. Allowed me to upgrade from Energy Take 5 to Monitor Audio set-up.
9. Lets me buy SACD discs.
10. Knows how to navigate HT system.
11. She also let me purchase a Toshiba portable progressive scan DVD player
Based on the above, I would say she is at least worthy of a nomination.
------------------

Jeff_N

Agent
Are there any women out there that must nominate their husband for HT Husband of the Year?
There must be some women out there where the HT tweaking at their house is primarily their activity...
Anyone???

Stacie Gates

Auditioning
Well, I must say that John would get the husband of the year award...not because HT is primarily my hobby...because I'm just the blessed benefactor of his addiction (and grinning all the way!).
One of the (many) reasons I'd nominate him is because he suggested I have some girlfriends over for Chick Flick Night to break in the theater now that it's pretty much how we want it (in other words, he wants *me* and my friends to get the first enjoyment out of all his hard work).
He helped me pull it all together & is up there right now making sure that everything is tweaked just right for us. We have the munchie cupboard and the fridge all stocked & ready to go, too!
We're watching three movies tonight & are going to have a total blast!
There are lots of other reasons he's the HT HOTY (yes, I'd pronounce that like "hottie") such as how he asks my opinion about hardware and movies...and actually considers my preferences (not that I have the final say...I don't really want it, either) and is incredibly sensitive to my needs.
Thanks!
Stacie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks