What's new

HT receiver with less video and better audio? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Jeff Schnebelen
I am in the market for a new HT Receiver. I have noticed while shopping that most receivers come with all kinds of Video stuff on them. My question to you all is, with only $700 to spend, can you suggest some receivers that maybe have better quality or more audio options and less video since I run most of my stuff through a video processor any way.
Thanks.
PSSST! Helloooo! is this thing on? Why no responses?:frowning:

RichN

Stunt Coordinator
If no one else will, I'll put my two cents worth in. I recently purchased a Kenwood VR-6060 receiver. You can find them on the net for between $380.00-$500.00, so look around (I did a Yahoo Shopping search for "VR-6060"). It has Dolby Digital, DD EX, DTS, DTS ES, DTS NEO:6, and Prologic II (music and movie) and something new called Circle Surround II which converts ANY two channel stereo input into 5.1 surround sound (even FM radio signals). And it has 5 DSP modes.
RichN

TomMadden

Agent
I would check out the Harman/Kardon AVR 520. You should be able to get one for around $650 or less (most places are willing to deal).

I bought mine, because I am in the same boat as you - I listen to music about 70% of the time and run video sources through it only about 30%.

The 520 is simple to use, and features H/K's clean, high-current amps. The Logic7 feature sounds fantastic with 2 channel sources.

Real Name
Jeff Schnebelen
I Thank you two for your hospitality. I was starting to wonder where all the hospitality went that I was so fond of in this forum.

Rich,

I will look into your suggestion. That sounds like a great receiver. I am noticing that most of the receivers have some way to turn 2 ch audio into 5. I think everyone is just calling it something different. Logic 7 is a good example if I am understanding this correctly.

Tom,
I have never had the opportunity to listen to HK. I have noticed through the threads here that HK's are of a higher degree of excellence. Is that true? You mention the high current amp. What make the amp in HK any better than say the Kenwood? Sorry if that sounds like a newbie question but like I said, I have never heard any HK's. If that is the case with the amp then you have hit the proverbial nail on the head. I am looking for as much quality as I can afford. Unfortunately, I know that is not much right now. I do have my brand new CRT projector now. All I can say is WOW!

JimC_A

Stunt Coordinator
Don't forget the $699 deal at 6th Ave for the Denon 3802. When you add shipping, it's right up your alley.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Jeff, I don't think you're going to find an integrated HT receiver that doesn't also have all the video bells and whistles i.e. component video switching, etc. I too don't use any of these features on the receiver I have since I run everything directly to the tv. Given your budget of $700, depending on if you're shopping locally or over the 'net, will determine what you can get, but as I mentioned, most are going to come with very similar integrated A/V feature sets. Also, when you say audio, do you mean you tend to listen to more 2 channel music than HT movies? That is also something else to consider.

Anyhow, Here are some models to look at:

Denons 2802/3802
Marantz 6200/7200
Yamaha HTR-5490
Onkyo SR-700
Harmon Kardon 320/520
Pioneer Elite VSX-41/VSX-43TX

good luck,

--tom

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
I second the Denon 3802... They can be had for around 700 now, and have good quality audio and video switching to suit your needs....

Real Name
Jeff Schnebelen
WaHOOO!:D Keep the suggestions coming.
Just to clarify what I mean re:
when you say audio, do you mean you tend to listen to more 2 channel music than HT movies?
I would like to have a better quality amp and better components inside. It is like comparing a low end sony with an HK or Onkyo. Amps are just better(bigger and heavier, etc..). I assume other componets and resisters will be better as well. As far as my listening habits, I would say 60% music and 40 ht.
Thanks again for everyones input. I knew this forum had it in it.:):emoji_thumbsup:

Steve T

Stunt Coordinator
I have a suggestion for you if quality 2 channel audio is of importance. Many people use outboard amps to supplement their A/V receiver for 2 channel audio. I did the same thing for awhile, but could not find the right amp to mate with the receiver. I then started to look at integrated amps, and found a Harman Kardon PM665 for auction on ebay. This is not your ordinary integrated, the PM665 (along with the PM655 and HK6600) has a front panel switch for power and preamp separation. This allows you to connect the L/R preouts of your A/V receiver (if so equipped, most are) to the main amp inputs of the PM665 and use it as an outboard amp. For truly high quality 2 channel sound use the PM665's analog inputs and with a flip of a switch the preamp and main amps are connected. This setup works great for me, and after finding the first PM665 on ebay I have seen others for sale and bought a second unit. Currently there are 2 PM655's on auction. The 655 is really a 665 with a smaller power supply - one power transformer instead of two, but the dual power supply for each channel has been retained, so that the highest amplitude transients on one channel does not influence the other. The sound quality of these units are outstanding.

TomMadden

Agent
Jeff -

I may be more of a personal thing, but to me, H/K's amps just have a warmer, cleaner sound. When I upgraded to my first H/K from a Pioneer Elite receiver, the difference was like night and day for my music collection. I'm currently on my second H/K and couldn't be happier about the sound quality. You really need to hear it to believe it. I would find a place that sells the 320/520 series that can do a demo for you if possible. As I said before, make sure that you get a demo of Logic7 with your favorite music CD.

Harvey S

Grip
You mention the high current amp. What make the amp in HK any better than say the Kenwood?
HK is known for amps that can deliver a lot of current quickly. That makes for good reproduction of transients in the music- for example when someone strikes a cymbal or a bass drum, hard and loud. The design starts with a large power transformer. I don't think there's any substitute that can take the place of the heavy iron. So one thing to look at in a receiver is its weight, because the transformer is by far the heaviest component. The HK 520, Denon 3802 and Marantz 7200 all weigh about 35 lbs. When you look at others you'll find they weigh 10 lbs less, and probably cost $100 less. They also won't sound as good when the music gets demanding.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'll second the Marantz units.

I listened to Marantz, H/K, Denon, Onkyo, and Sony ES (have heard others, but these are the ones I decided I would actually choose to buy from, personally) It came down to the 3802, 510 and 6200/7200. I settled on the Marantz SR6200 based on music performance alone. The 7200 sounded identical, and had extra functionality I don't really need. The 510 was a close second, but cost quite a bit more and had a few less features. The 3802 cost quite a bit more at the time, and did not sound as good with music, IMO.

High current capability is one reason a receiver might be better than another, but there are other simple reasons. One are the DACs used. Quality DACs go a long way. A more subtle reason is as simple as the overall design of the unit and all the individual components used that gives each brand a "signature" sound. I happen to prefer the way Marantz sounds in this price range.

RichN

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,
Even though I have two Kenwood receivers, I agree that H/K and Marantz both have a very good reputation and they have been around for over 30 years, and you don't last that long by making poor quality equipment.
RichN

Milt

Grip
I was in the same situation a few weeks ago, deciding between Marantz and Denon for music listening 1st, surround sound 2nd. I got a Marantz sr8000 at AC4less. The sound is great a little cleaner sounding to me than the Denon. AC4less has several model Marantz under $700. Go where you can listen to them to see for yourself, take a favorite cd with you. I took Miles Davis :)

Real Name
Jeff Schnebelen
Thank you everyone!:emoji_thumbsup: :)
It looks like I will be trying to audition the following:
Denon AVR-3802
Harmon/Kardon AVR-520
and the Marantz SR-7200
Thanks for helping me narrow down my search. I hope I can find some good deals on these receivers.:b
Again, Thank you all! You have been a great help. I knew I came to the right place!!!
Jeff Schnebelen
------------------------------
"Only a life lived for others, is a life worth while"
Albert Einstein

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Of the three, you'll find the one you want.:)
What fails to be mentioned numerous times is the rated power versus realized power output.
As an example, the SR 7200 states 105 x 6... sorry that ain't right... the total rated power on this puppy is 480 Watts
The 3802 states 110 x 7... I'm impressed if it does that, but the overall power rating for this puppy is not even listed on the specs. A friend of mine took his back after a week as he found the power rating was clearly "optimistic"
The 520 powers five channels. It expands to seven with an external amp. It is rated at 75 x 5 (85 x 2)... all these figures are of course at 8 ohms. Total 78 Watts idle, 694 watts maximum.

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
Will concur that the HK 520 is the one to buy... Of course, I already did so am prejudiced. Check the price at http://www.jandr.com/
They have been selling it for around $650 for the past few weeks... OOPS. Just went there and they are "temporarily out of stock". Call them: 1-800-806-1115 (in the U.S.) 1-212-238-9000 (outside the U.S.)
They are an authorized dealer and have treated me well (though I didn't get my 520 there. Where I got mine doesn't have any more and wasn't an authorized dealer).
Marantz is good but the 7200 had alot of problems and Marantz is in transition - being owned by now by the same parent company of Denon, after being owned by Phillips.
Denon is good too, and gives more amps and features, but the amps are of poorer quality and the features lack Logic7. If you've not compared it to ProLogicII, you must. It is much better.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
All good advice.

Sony 5es
Denon 3802/4802/5800/5803
Onkyo 898/989
Yamaha 2200/2300
JVC 10
HK 520/8000

I'm like you. I do not use my rcvr for video and never will.

Of those the 5es/3802/520/2200 will be in your price range and are excellent units ($699 at 6th Ave is a best buy at this time). Remember the higher you go in the model numbers the more likely it will have the watts it claims. The 5800 is a very good buy if you have that kind of cash/end of year clearance at most places for $2200 to 2400?????
Check out 6th AVE/JR/OADES/ONECALL as your last stops.

If you don't care about 5 to seven amps, then you could get a JVC 9010. Very nice on music and ok for 5.1.(not my choice)

PS/ You may need to go to separates to get a pure music/sound system.

Good luck, but the advice that most quality rcvs have video is correct.

Aaron_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I also listen to music much more often than I watch TV, and I've found that my NAD 751 sounds great. It meets your description well- less bells and whistles, better quality. Their EARS 5 channel stereo feature also sounds MUCH better than the other ones I've heard. One thing I would definitely be looking for is pre-amp outputs from your reciever so you can upgrade your amps later.
Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks