What's new

HT Receiver suggestions (1 Viewer)

mattSon

Auditioning
Hi All,

I'm purchasing a home theatre system component speaker set (so two front drivers, two rears and a centre + sub) comprised of denmark brand Peerless speakers in custom build enclosures.

You can read about the speaker kits:
stonessoundstudio.com.au/stone/speaker-kits.htm

my question to the legions is what would be a suit able AV Receiver to power these speakers.. I don't want to spend stupid amounts of money, so keep it to the $1000(AUD) mark if possible, but I'm willing to be flexible.

I'm also in Australia, so I'm not sure what difference that makes to my selection, but I'd assume I can't get some of the US/UK powered solutions based on the differences in voltage :)

Cheers,

Matt

mattSon

Auditioning
Hi Shannon,

Thanks for the suggestion, it looks like quite a good reciever, however it is very much out of my price range unfortunately, AUD $2598.00

any other ideas?

Matt

Scotty P

Agent
I am looking at the Integra 6.5 right now www.integrahometheater.com. Currently I own the older version 6.2 and would highly recommend. The 5.5 would be a little less. If you download the manual they share the manual with notations regarding the features that only pertain to the 6.5.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Scotty,

how much is the Integra 6.5?

mattSon

i've seen some Aussie websites and it looks like AV equipment is relatively pricey compared to the US, or even Singapore.

what you want is a receiver that will sound like 2K but costs under 1K and for that, the Panasonic XR50 [review is a good candidate (RRP is AUD$899 - street price cheaper?). You might want to ask Panasonic about the XR70 or the new 7.1 XR55, but the XR50 should do fine. Just don't look at the US prices for the XR series :P

I use a XR25 (the only 6.1 Panasonic available here - unofficially - in Singapore) and it sounds awesome. Better than a Yamaha RX-V750 (AUD$1,299) and probably as good as a RX-V1500 (AUD$1,999) (prices from eastwoodhifi) You could get a AUD$999 RX-V550, but that would sound like a $999 receiver ;)

Scotty P

Agent

US price is $1000

Not too fond of Panasonic. The Yamaha units are nice but no adjustment capabilities with the multichannel inputs, a hot point for me right now. The Integra has very good bass management and level adjustment on the multichannel input, in addition to being a great overall product.

the direct conversion to aud from $1000 came out around $1300-1400. However, if the rxv-1500 cost that much aud then the equipment is much higher there, more than the conversion rate (or else I'm messing up the conversion, which is very possible.)

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Scotty,

yea.. the XR50 is US$300 and somehow translates to AUD$900, the Integra might end up close to AU$3k

OFF TOPIC: why would you want adjustments on the multichannel inputs? wouldn't that involve another stage of AD/DA conversion - although I guess the sampling rate would be high enough, it would convert any analog DSD output back into PCM.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
Go with a Denon or an Onkyo. I've owned both, and at the 1k price range, you won't be dissapointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks