What's new

HT receiver choice help-little unsure (1 Viewer)

Hey guys, I am going to need to replace my receiver soon, so I have been looking around. I'm a little unsure of what exactly would be the best option for what is needed. On top of that, if heard a few not-so-good things about a couple of the options.

Please keep in mind, price is a VERY big factor here.
New daugter will be coming sometime in the next couple of weeks, and I can't afford to spend too much. I don't have the cash some of you do.

Also, please keep in mind that I am coming from a 1997 or 1998 model Technics EX-510 receiver that has almost nothing. So pretty much ANY of the options would be a very substantial upgrade.;)

OK, so here are the options I firmly need, no matter what:

Component video up-conversion from composite and/or s-video.
Clean reliable power.
Reliability. (I can not afford to upgrade. This reveiver must last a good 5 years)

Usage will be 90% HT and console gaming duty, and 10% music.

OK. So here are my options, in order of price.

$270-300 range:
1. Sony 997B
Pro's: High Power
Good amount of inputs/outputs
Price

Con's: I've heard the reliability sucks
Also heard that power rating is way off, and I
should expect much less.

2. Denon 1705
Pro's: 3rd component input (which is very desirable to me)
Denon quality
Price

Con's: I've heard that power on this unit is also
overrated, and I should only expect 30 to 40
watts/channel.
Not as many connections as I would like.
Only 2 component inputs.

$350-450 range:

3. Pioneer 1014
Pro's: High Power
Many connections
High quality/reliability

Con's: Price
Only 2 Component inputs

$500+ range (550 or so online)

4.Sony ES 3000

Pro's: VERY high power
Many connections
Quality/reliability

Con's: Price
Only 2 component inputs

So there you have it. Those 4 models are the only ones I can find that have what I need.
Obviously, I would prefer either the Sony 997B or Denon 1705 due to the cost. I would most likely choose the Denon, even with the one less component input.

But, if the units do have the mentioned problems, than I will be FORCED to choose something higher priced. I can't really afford it, but....
And remember, whatever I go with needs to last a few years, no matter what.

Oh, and one last thing. The up-conversion feature is so important because my TV is a 27 inch Gateway Destination monitor. Everything needs to be sent from the receiver as component video into the component-to-VGA converter. So as you can see, the upconversion feature is a necessity.

So what do you think I should do?

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
Well, nothing hurts more than buying a "lesser" model, and then constantly thinking, "hey, if I would have spent another $150, I could have a got a much better reciever.

I know you have a baby along the way (congrats by the way :)) and money might be tight, but I would take a good hard look at the Pioneer 1014, Marantz SR-5400, and the Yamaha RX-V750. I've heard nothing but great thngs about the Pioneer and I might even end up purchasing one myself this weekend. Bottow line, don't get something that is of lesser quality if you want to enojy it for the long term (5 years).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks