What's new

HT Newbie Needs Help (1 Viewer)

Brandon Quinn

Auditioning
I've been lurking on HTF for a while now reading great threads pertaining to HT components and systems. Now I'm putting together one of my own, so I'm hoping you all can help me.

This is what I have picked out so far:
Sony HDTV 46 in widescreen
Sony STRDA4ES
Sony Progressive Scan DVD

With the exception of the DVD, everything will be a new purchase. Now my dillema resides in the speakers. I had my eye on the Athena ASF2's, which I've read good reviews, but no one seems to be able to really offer any in depth personal opinions. I can get the full set of Athena (front, rear, and center) for about $600 used (2 mo old). My second option is the Polk RTi70's with the CSi40 center. I can get this set-up for $825.

I listen to 60% movies and 40% music. I have read a ton of posts on the Paradigms, B&W, Energy, etc., but haven't found a dealer in the area that sells these brands, so I can't hear them. I was going to take a leap of faith because of the price on the Athenas and I can hear the Polk at Circuiy City.

Now I turn to you HT enthusiasts....what do you think? Polk for the quality or Athena for the price?

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
welcome to the forum Brandon!

those sure would be an awesome option! that's a killer price for those ref 60's!! i'd take those over the polk's any day. i've never heard of Athena, so i cant give you an opinion there. try to find a dealer near you, though, so YOU can make the decision. personally, i'd take the Paradigms :D

even though the 60's are relatively efficient speakers, i'd really hate to see you driving them off that Sony receiver. you'd be much more pleased with the ampage found in receivers by Harman/Kardon, Rotel, or NAD. better yet, spend a little less on the receiver (make sure it has pre-outs though) and buy an external amp to power the Paradigms. it makes a world of difference, and you'll be totally floored by the results!

go listen to some more receiver brands from stores in your area (not best buy. only go to circuit city for H/K and Onkyo) and see what you like. happy shopping!

Brandon Quinn

Auditioning
Thanks for the input Thomas! I went to CC yesterday and listened to a few of the ONKYO and HK receivers. I just wish they had a better selection of speakers...I want to hear more than just Polk or Infinity.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks