What's new

HT Hookup (1 Viewer)

Patrick McNeese

Auditioning
While not new to A/V in general and audio in particular I am being somewhat baffled by attempting to define the proper setup for my newly upgraded Home Theater system.
The components are as follows:
1.Sony KP57HW40 Wide Screen
2.Time Warner Digital Cable using a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Box
3.Outlaw Audio 1050 receiver
4.Toshiba 5700 Progressive Scan DVD
5.Phillips Svideo VHS recorder
6.Polk Audio Fronts and Center
7.Mission sub and Surround
Here is the issue. The Outlaw does not support component Video switching (something I’ve never been a fan of anyhow) so I would use the Sony as the key video connection point but I really can’t figure out the correct coax/video connections. I am fairly comfortable I have the audio right but what is the best way for the video. I know I need a splitter somewhere, but where is the best point? Help please.
TIA
Patrick
[email protected]
[email protected]

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Since your DVD connects to the tv with COMPONENT cables, you dont need another "coax/video" connection, do you? DVD audio goes to the Outlaw with Toslink optical or digital (75ohm) coax, your choice.

Pls elaborate if this doesnt touch yr query...

I should add, my S-VHS connects to the receiver by S-Video cable with a longer S-Video cable from Monitor Out to tv. No signal degradation thru my Yamaha switching.

Patrick McNeese

Auditioning
I think I have a clarity issue. I am primarily concerned with the coax connections and where best to split them. I think the way it should work is:

from cable to splitter

one side on splitter to the RF in of the cable box

other side of splitter to the RF in on the Sony (This should enable PIP for non digital channels)

RF out from cable box to RF in on the Video Recorder.

Does this sound right

Patrick

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
yes, that oughta work. Since I dont have a cable box, nor PIP capability, I shud shut up now regarding these issues.

However, some say a splitter attenuates the signal by 3dB, if it cannot be avoided.

FWIW my wall cable goes to VCR RF IN and I connect VCR RF OUT to tv ANT IN. In the latter mode, I can watch tv "alone" without firing up the outboard amp.

I also run my CATV coax into my surge protector box before it runs to the VCR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks