What's new

How well do Panasonic DVD players handle anamorphic downconversion? (1 Viewer)

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I'm looking at the possibly getting one of the players on the new line. Was wondering what your impressions are of the players letterboxing capablities and how would you rate them in comparision to others.

David

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I have the interlaced CV51 and its pretty good. I still do the anamorphic squeeze with my 32" JVC TV but there isn't a huge difference. It makes it nicer, but it was by no means impossible to watch before, just a tiny bit of jaggies and stair-stepping.

Neil Weinstock

Stunt Coordinator
A somewhat recent review of a Panny player (I think it was the RP-56 in Sound and Vision) said that the downconversion was good, but not as good as Sony.

Their recommendation was that if you have a 4:3 TV w/out squeeze mode, the Sony would be more satisfying in the long run, though the Panny was by no means bad.

Take this info for what it's worth. I've been struggling deciding between the Sony 655 and Panasonic CP-67 (or CP-72). I may just have to bring them home and do some A-B comparisons, though I hate having to do that.

Craig W

Second Unit
I have a Sony 360 and a Panny RP56 being used in non-prog 4x3 mode. The Sony produces a much smoother image at the cost of some detail where the Panny is sharp but has noticeable shimmering on some video. I usually don't notice except in certain cases. The beginning scroll in SW:TPM looks like I am watching through a pool of wavy water on the Panny where the Sony it is rock solid.

So the question is which on can you live with. Sony produces a clean image, but their MPEG decoders also suffer from the chroma bug. The Pannys suffer from a more video looking picture and a flicker issue with their deinterlacers. BTW Sony and Panasonic have had quality issues with their players

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks