What's new

How to tell if DVD is copyrighted? And how to copy if its not? (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
My mom, who's a dress maker and makes dresses for ballroom dancers, just got two DVDs of a dance competition. They're burned on recordable DVDs (not sure if they're DVD+R or -R). My mom wants me to burn a copy for her, but im not sure how to go about doing it.

How do i know if the DVD is copyrighted? if its not, can I just simply copy the files in the Video_TS folder and re-burn them on to a blank DVD?

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Do you mean copyrighted or copy-protected? Any work is de facto copyrighted, although it certainly helps to put the (C) Copyright MMIV in it somewhere. That declares that someone has the rights to it, so that others don't exploit it.

As for copy-protection, if you can watch it off a recordable DVD, then it is not encrypted, so you should be able to simply use the burner software's disc-to-disc copy feature. No point in copying the files individually.

//Ken

DavidO

Auditioning
A Disc Copy (or Disc to Disc) attempt will immediately inform you that "This is a protected Copy", or words to that effect, if it is, and will abort. If it doesn't say that, it will proceed and do the copy for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks