What's new

How to stop Web Page Adds? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Didn't know how else to describe it. It's not a popup, it's not an HTML add that you can just ignore. Almost like a Flash add that COVERS the page, so much that you can't read a paragraph or two of the page itself. Adn worst of all, it moves across the page so it's tough to close.

Is there any program that gets rid of these annoyances? Won't advertisers learn that the more annoying they are and persistent, the more we'll try to block them out?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
One way is to stop going to the sites with the annoying ads. If you keep going, it shows that you're willing to tolerate the ads to get the content.

(but I agree that such ads are annoying but I don't know how to stop them.)

John Miles

Stunt Coordinator
Often, the Flash shoskele ads will set their "don't show this again for x days" cookies BEFORE displaying themselves. As a result, you can get rid of most of them by hitting F5 (Refresh page) as soon as the Flash content begins to appear.

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
i don't know how to stop them, but i've stopped going to tvguide.com's tv listings page because of them. they've got one right now that covers up the entire screen.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
You could uninstall the flash plugin. It'll still try to install it again but you can say no to it. If you can figure out what the url is for the flash file you could block it with your hosts file I guess. That might stop it too but it'll stop everything coming from that server also.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Neil V wrote (post #1):

Do you use Internet Explorer or Netscape browser? The Netscape 7 client has a "pop-up window blocking" feature (under Edit, Preferences, Privacy & Security). It can be downloaded for free at Netscape.com I believe. This would probably solve the problem, and you'd get a better overall browser as well.

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
I think these "floating ads" use javascript, so you could try disabling javascript in your browser settings. Problem with that is many sites use javascript for useful functions, eg the popup boxes for formatting when typing on forums.

As a website owner, I use ads on my site. I have to so that I can help to fund the site. I made it a policy from the start not to use popups on my site. Problem is that some advertisers insist on it.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>>Do you use Internet Explorer or Netscape browser?>>

I.E. Unfortunatly, IIRC, these things don't pop up in a seperate window. Otherwise I'd use my PopupKiller to block 'em. They popup IN the main browser itself, so it's tougher to disable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks