What's new

How to retrieve data from an uncooperative HDD? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's my situation. XP is not booting for me.

When I go to startup all I get after the XP load screen (with blue bar) is a black screen with a white cursor. I get no GUI at all. This happens whenever I try safe mode or "last known configuration."

This happened out of the blue. The only unusual thing I had done was dismantle my PC and all its peripherals to move it to a new computer desk last night.

Some google searches tell me there seem to be few (if any) straight up fixes for the problem. I would prefer to do a clean install of XP anyway.

My question is: how can I copy date files (jpgs, mp3s, docs, etc) from the HDD onto a flashdrive? I would also love to get my e-mails backed up from Outlook Express.

I figure I could always install XP onto a new HDD and then hook up the current one as a slave and retrieve files that way...but I'd rather avoid the expense of a new HDD and just format and start fresh on the current HDD.

Ideas?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Further on-line investigation has prompted me to consider downloading some harddrive diagnostic tools and/or an XP "repair" installation.

Given, of course, that I can get the PC to boot from the diskette or CD drive!

==================

I should also note that I re-seated all date & power cables to all drives and mobo. I also re-seated the RAM chips and various cards (especially video).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, I didn't quite get to the step above...but I fixed my problem! I'm even typing from my home computer right now! :D

I downloaded a a copy of Seagate SeaTools (v. 2.07) and used it to do a diagnostic scan of my Maxtor 160gb drive. It found nine errors and fixed them. Then on my next boot, windows did a checkdisk and it looked like it fixed a bunch of .dll files.

...and the next thing I know I was looking at my desktop of my faithful labrador retriever--who passed away a few years ago now.

Woohoo! :emoji_thumbsup:

Now I just have to keep my promise to myself and do all my back-ups and do a fresh install of XP.

Really...I will. ;)

don monteith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Monteith
Try using SyncToy from Microsoft to do your back ups. It's free and works great. Also, next time try slaving your defective drive onto another computer and scanning it that way. It could save you a lot of time. Also download Tune up utilities 2008. It comes with a 30 day trial and will fix a lot of those problems as well.

Don

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Don: Those sound like great suggestions...and just the sort of things I need. I will DEFINITELY check them out.

Thanks!

Plus...I was getting a little lonely talking to myself! :laugh:

Mike

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Mike:

I was going to say did that other Mike Frezon help out any or was it just Mike Frezon that found the fix you needed.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And guess what, Parker? Fixing the HDD "problems" and having XP's Checkdisc then re-fix itself has also fixed my printing problems! Woohoo!

I'll be posting into that thread when I get a chance tomorrow. I think a bunch of .dll files must've gotten messed up somehow. That must be what that print spoller business is all about.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Last week, both my desktop and laptop registered a W32.Spybot.Worm virus when I did my weekly virus scan using Norton Internet Security. NAV automatically fixed the problem and life went on without a hitch.

Back to the trojan problem: I have not seen it on either on my computers but apparently now Microsoft is saying the trojan isn't a real trojan, just an incorrectly targeted file in the first SP3 release. Apparently, they have already released a fix for it.

Mike, I'm curious as to what antivirus you are using.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Well, here's something embarassing to have to admit...but I own a copy of Norton Anti-Virus and have it installed. But, I find it to be a HUGE resource hog for my rather limited PC and I had disabled it when I ran into a slew of problems recently--including the above-mentioned print spooler difficulty which completely disabled my ability to print. So, whatever happened to me (virus/trojan/corrupted file) hit me while my shields were down.

BTW, I don't have SP3 installed...just SP2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks