How to hook up vcr/sat to receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Crissy_S, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Crissy_S

Crissy_S Auditioning

I just got a new receiver - Integra 7.1. However, I am having difficulties hooking up the vcr and satellite box to the receiver. The receiver instruction manual states to run the vcr output and input to the the receiver "video 1" input and output respectively. Then the output on the Sat box goes to the "Video 3" input. I'm using rca cables for the vcr video and audio and s-video cable and toslink for the sat video and audio.

1. Is this the right set up for the vcr? It seems strange to run both the vcr input and output to the receiver rather than run the sat output to the vcr input as I've done in the past.

2. Will I have to leave the receiver on when I have the vcr set to record a show when I'm not home?

Thanks for your help!

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

The idea is to plug everything into the receiver and let the receiver do the switching. So, both the VCR input and output connect to the receiver, and that way you can record anything that's input to the receiver, assuming copy-protection doesn't get in the way, as it would for DVDs.

And, yes, for this to work the receiver has to be on.

You can, as an alternative, run the satellite through the VCR, but if the satellite is S-video and the VCR is not, that would be a loss of quality. Losing the digital audio from the satellite would be unfortunate, too.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    1. The instructions are correct.

2. The receiver has to be on to pass video signals.

4. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

5. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn Stunt Coordinator

Crissy,

Vin has the right answer here - and this is exactly the way I have my Sat/VCR/receiver hooked up:

6. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

7. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

8. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Actually some nicer receivers (not familiar with yours) allow you to record off one source while watching another.

The Denon 3801 has this feature. In that case there is no reason to hook anything else up to the VCR except the receiver.

If the Integra only outputs whatever it's switched to, then you have to make a choice. One trick to get around this record one thing while watching another while having the receiver as a switcher is to use the COAX (cable type connector) out of the DISH into the VCR ANTENNA IN. Then when the VCR is on channel 3 it will see the DISH output (dish can probably be switched to put out either channel 3 or 4, either works so just be aware which it's using), while when the VCR is on VIDEO it will see whatever the RECEIVER is outputting back to it.

That assumes that you have VCR out going into the RECEIVER's VCR in, and the RECEIVER's OUT (to VCR) going to the VCR's video in.

Think of your Integra as a ringmaster, by sending it signals from all your various sources (DVD, DISH, VCR) you give it the ability to pick which one comes to the "center ring" so to speak, or be OUTPUT. Usually the video and sound are linked.

As I said, some receivers allow you to pick on thing to send out to a VCR and another to send out a second output to the TV. You might want to check the manual for such a function.

The thing with the COAX above is because your VCR also has multiple inputs, even if one is RCA video and another is COAX antenna. It's still a way to switch between inputs and thus partially bypass the receiver. In this case you would still send at least audio and probably video also from the DISH to the RECEIVER using S-vid/optical audio like you are. But at least you wouldn't need the receiver for recording stuff off of DISH.

As mentioned above by others, most receivers don't convert composite (RCA VID) to S-VID or Component (3 color, YPbPr). They usually just take the RCA vids in and send them out the RCA vid out, the S-vids in go out the S-Vid out, etc. So if you want to record the inputs, make sure you are using all the same input types as you are outputing from the receiver to the VCR (either RCA vid or S-vid).

9. Martin_Baucom

Martin_Baucom Auditioning

10. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

11. Crissy_S

Crissy_S Auditioning

Thanks everyone for your help! I decided not to run the VCR input to the receiver. Most of the time when I record a program, I'm not home and I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving the receiver on when I am not home.

So, I setup the video connections as follows:

VCR

video out (RCA)-->Receiver

video in (RCA)Receiver

video out (RCA)-->VCR

Receiver

video in (RCA)Tv input 2

This should allow me to record from the Sat without the Receiver being on, but I'll still have to have the receiver on to play a tape on the VCR.

In this configuration, I had no problem playing a tape from the vcr (The receiver was on). However, I could not get a sat video or audio signal through the vcr to tape a Sat program (The receiver was on w/ the VCR input selected). So next, I tried connecting a coax cable from the Sat to the vcr, and I was able to get the Sat programming thru the vcr to tape a Sat program (W/ the receiver on or off. Does anyone have any thoughts on why the RCA output on the Sat wouldn't work? The Sat is supposed to send a signal out all the outputs (s-video, RCA, coax). And the VCR doesn't have any menu item to select RCA or coax for the input, so I'm kinda stumped.

12. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

13. Larry Cole

Larry Cole Auditioning

One of the things I did with my setup - and probably wouldn't work for everybody - is to run all the S-video outputs from various components directly to my monitor. Then I took all the regular composite outputs (with audio) and fed them to a small, passive 5 input switcher. The output of the switcher runs through a stabilizer (defeats Microtime) to the L1 input of my VCR. This allows me to tape any source (antenna, satellite, DVD, VCR, surveilance camera) while watching any other. Along with PIP, it gets a little complicated to operate, but it works great. I've got a schematic if anyone is interested.