What's new

how to get rid of rattles from lights, fireplace ETC? (1 Viewer)

Dustin Wind

Stunt Coordinator
My HT is finally set up and running.
I have some CRAZY rattles when i watch movies though. Whats the best way to get rid of them?

I notice my lights in the basement are really bad and so are the fixtures in the ceiling that the lights go into it.
Its almost like the roof is caving in....thats what it sounds like with big bass explosions.

Also my speakers which are mounted to the walls seem like there rattling a bit also....so whats my solution to fix all these things on the walls rattling?

Any tips or ideas?

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
First thing to do is locate and isolate all these buggers! That can be a chore since most are come and go, only causing a disturbance at certain volumes or audio ranges. My brand new Digital Video Essentials DVD has a track just for such a task. It has low Bass sweeps that start at about 14hz....that will rattle your fillings loose.

Second is to fix them. Many are easy fixes. Some can be notorious...plumbing in walls...loose HVAC in the drywall ceiling..etc. Glass frames and pictures can be fixed with small adhesive felt pads placed behind the glass or picture frames. Same technique can be used on table lamps, statues, artwork and bookends.

Canned lighting can be repaired by replacing loose and stretched springs. FireProof insulation and padding placed around the fixture can act as a vibration damper. Replacing weather stripping along windowsill can stop a window rattle...the list goes on.

Just a couple weeks ago after I got my new SVS sub tuned to 16hz...I developed a mysterious high pitch vibration. My first fear was a blown tweeter. It seemed to becoming from my Right Main loudspeaker....no...it seemed like it was coming behind the speaker....it must be the Da-Lite electric screen....humm....maybe it was the cables and wire rubbing against it....so I taped them down and added $15.00 of wire/cable loom.....still the vibration persisted....finally...I found it! I had placed an unused electrical outlet cover on the top of the A/V shelf out of site. It would vibrate just enough to drive me absolutily crazy!!! A quick fix after about two hours of searching. I tossed the $.48 piece of plastic into the trash! TAHDAH!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks