What's new

How to get rid of dual boot? (1 Viewer)

JohnMM

Stunt Coordinator
Here's the scenario:

C: drive has Win98 on it.

D: drive has Win2002 on it.

When the PC starts up I can choose to start either OS.

I want to get rid of everything on drive C: (including Win98). I don't want to have dual boot, and want to use only Win2000. Also, I would like to format drive C: so that I can install Win2000 apps on it.

Is all I need to do is format the C: drive, or do I have to do more?

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
Go into your Windows 2000 Control Panel and choose System. Choose the Advanced tab and right at the bottom in the field entitled Startup and Recovery, click Settings. Now click Edit in the System Startup field. Insert a semicolon (;) at the beginning of the line that has "Windows98". Save, close and reboot.
Or, just search directly for you boot.ini file and add the semicolon in the appropriate line.
Doing it this way you don't have to reformat anything you can now delete your Windows98 folder.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
John,

if you format the C drive, you'll lose the info needed to boot to D. You can remove the boot menu by booting to win2k, going to the system control panel, then advanced-->startup and recovery settings. uncheck 'show boot menu' option (that's not exactly it, but I don't have a win2k machine to check at the moment). after that you can just delete everything on C, other than the files in the root directory needed to boot (which are normally hidden)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks