What's new

How to Connect Powered Speakers and Powered Sub (1 Viewer)

bruin

Second Unit
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so here goes. How should I connect my equipment? I don't know which is the most optimal way to connect the powered fronts and my powered sub. This is what I have:

Klipsch RP3 (fronts) - Line Level In/Out, LFE In/Out
- Speaker level inputs (2 sets/biwire)

Klipsch KSC-C1 (center)
Klipsch KSB1.1 (rear)

Powered Sub - Line Level In w/ LFE on/off switch
- Speaker level inputs/outputs

Harman Kardon AVR320 - preamp outs for all channels

When I just had a standard front speaker I would use a speaker level connection from my receiver to my sub then more speaker wire from the sub to my fronts.

Now I have these line level in and outs, preamp outs, LFE in and outs and it's confusing me. I'll need all the advice I can get. I'm obviously not in the know how. Thanks in advance!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
bruin,

Most logical would be to connect all pre-amp outs on your receiver to the line-ins of the correspondent speakers. That way you would send as uncorrupted a signal as can be to amps that are specifically designed for their respective speakers.

Good luck!

Cees

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Bruin, I would recommend just using the speaker wire for your main front left/right, and setting your receiver's output tp them to large, and just use the LFE subwoofer bass out from your receiver only into the self powered subwoofer. This way, 2 channel music will sound better (IMHO), but yet, you'll still have better than awesome bass from movies.

bruin

Second Unit
When I connected the preamp outputs of the front Left and Right to the Line Ins of the Speakers, only bass comes out.

Can I use speaker wire for the top speaker inputs and RCA into the Line In? I heard somewhere that it's either one should use speaker wire or RCA but not both at the same time.

The Klipsch manual says to use two strands of wire. Twist two into one and put it in the receiver's output. Then put one pair into the 1st set of speaker level input and another into the 2nd set of speaker level input. I tried this and everything sounds fine.

But what about my separate sub? I want to use this sub for music and movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks