What's new

"How to build your own PC"... can I get some guidence? (1 Viewer)

Christopher Chung

Stunt Coordinator
I did a search, but couldn't really find anything. Does anybody know of any good sites that help with building your own PC? I already know what I want to put in it, but it's just the little things that I want to clear up since I'm not an expert in the area.

Thanks for any help!

Chris

Brian E

Screenwriter
You can give this a read.
Link Removed
I didn't have time to really look through it, but what I saw seemed ok. You generally won't need the install CD-ROM Driver step since a)most OS cd's are bootable or b)you can use a startup disk that will load it on boot up.
Any specific questions ask, there are plenty of folks here who know their stuff.

Kris McLaughlin

Stunt Coordinator
Here's one I was reading earlier today. It is aimed at building an NLE (non-linear video editing) system, but the instructions are fairly good and can be used for any type of system.
Cheers,

Rob Behm

Grip
I just built a PC after consulting Tomshardware site and purchasing the bits from NewEgg.com (excellent, excellent service!!!)

You'll need a case. Just get one w/ at least a 300 watt power supply. There's plenty to choose from, but you want one for ATX (which is pretty much all of them)

You'll need a motherboard. I like the Epox 8aHK+.

You'll need RAM. This depends on the motherboard. Expect to get 256MB of DDR Ram (not sdram, unless you get a low end motherboard). Crucial cheapie is nice stuff.

You'll need a hard drive. Go for the 7200 RPM drives, one that supports Ultra ATA-100 or better. Most decent motherboards handle this.

You'll need a DVD or CDRW drive. I like Lite-On for both. Their LTD-163 DVD drive is fast.

You'll need a processor. AMD Athlons are great, go for at least 1.4 Gz. (You'll notice that Intel Pentiums have higher speeds, but an Athlon gets more work done per cycle. It all balances out, and AMD is the cheaper route)

You'll need cooling for the processor. Expect to pay ~$12 for a processor fan, one that sits on top.

You'll need a graphics card. I like ATI generics, but that's just me. You might want one that supports DVI (for the better LCD screens), but at least get one that has S-video out.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks