What's new

How strong is TV tray in entertainment center? (1 Viewer)

Dave_N

Grip
My wife bought this $2500 POS entertainment cabinet from Ethan Allen a few years back. It's fine to house any 27" TV but I always wanted a 32". So, after about 6 months of searching I finally found a 32 incher that will almost fit. It is a Panasonic ct-32hx41. The only problem is that the set is about 3/8" too tall for the cabinet in its present configuration.
The solutions? Either I remove the TV tray (i.e., the turntable-like tray that allow you to easily swivel the TV to get to connectors in back), or remove the internal shelve unit and cut off 1/2" from the top of it.
Questions:
1. How much weight will that TV tray support? I think the ct-32hx41 weighs in at around 150 lbs.
2. If I remove the tray (big if since I have to figure out how to remove), is there any tricks on getting access to rear connectors? I do not have access to the back of the cabinet since it is very close to the wall with book shelves on either side.
Thanks,
Dave

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Dave,
Don’t be so quick to dis a nice entertainment center, my friend. For many of us it’s the ticket that gets the HT system in the door. Don’t think my wife would have ever agreed to a flexi rack! :)
It’s impossible for anyone to tell how much weight the swivel tray can support, unless they design furniture for Ethan Allen. However, if it comfortably housed a 27” TV, I have my doubts that you will be able to utilize the swivel function with a TV that big, even if it will safely support it. You will probably find that the larger TV is too deep, and hits the sides of the cabinet, preventing it from turning it enough to access the rear connections.
I foresee nothing but trouble cutting the upper shelf, especially if it is not designed to be easily removed. Unless you have some woodworking skills, it will be difficult to make the finished product look nice after the cut, even if you are indeed able to take the shelf out.
I’d recommend removing the swivel tray. It is probably bolted down some way, perhaps from underneath. Any holes that are left will not be seen with the TV in place (hang on to it in case you ever sell the entertainment center). Not to mention, removing it will buy you a few more inches of space, which will broaden your selection of possible TVs.
As to accessing rear connections, you can probably set the TVs sideways on the shelf long enough to make connections. It will hang off a little, but as long as more than half of it is on the shelf, you’ll be okay. (You might want someone to hang on to it until you’re finished.) This is how I did it with my TV. It will be especially easy if the termination panel is on one side or the other, not centered on the rear of the TV. Be careful when you turn the TV to its viewing position that you do not scratch the finsh.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
I should think that Wayne's approach is the only one that is going to work for you.
I might add a small suggestion. When I have to rotate a heavy TV and want it to go more easily, I get some black cloth, perhaps velvet, but at least something that is smooth and put it under the TV. Makes a massive difference in reducing the friction.
Deane

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Ethan Allen makes good stuff... try and sell the armoire (as I think they prefer to call it :)) and buy a new one that houses a 32" TV, or contact Ethan Allen and have one of their carpenters come out and do the work for you (I'm pretty sure they do that).
/Mike

Jon Mitchell

Auditioning
I'm new here so my opinion probably doesn't count for much, but I also think it would be a good idea to contact Ethan Allen to find out what they recommend you do with the cabinet. With a $2500 cabinet I would be very nervous about cutting out a piece of it (of course this is because I cause enough damage just putting together a $200 armoire :) )

Dave_N

Grip
Thank you all for your thoughtful input.
I am pretty sure that I will forgo hacking up the shelves in this unit; I will remove the tray instead to get the necessary height.
As suggested, I will try putting something like felt under the TV to aid in moving the TV within the unit and to minimize scratches.
Thanks again and I will give a report on the ct-32hx41, if and when I get it (my store's distributor has it on backorder).
Regards,
Dave

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Jon,
Welcome to the Forum!
Of course your opinion counts. No one is an expert at everything! That was an excellent idea to call Ethan Allen.
Actually, I usually recommend contacting the manufacturer in these situations, but I thought it was likely that Ethan Allen wouldn’t know. There’s a good chance that they are not the actual builder of the entertainment center. I expect that a lot of furniture building is contracted out.
But I’m only guessing. Maybe someone with connections with the furniture business will make his first post here and enlighten us!
Oh, by the way, Dave, welcome to you, too.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jon Mitchell

Auditioning
Yeah I guess I really didn't think about that Wayne, but for $2500 you think Ethan Allen would come over and do back flips in the yard for you, guess that's just my opinion :) Hope everything works out for you Dave

Bob Whitefield

Auditioning
I'm also interested in getting the ct-32hx41, as it's the only HDTV that has a prayer of fitting in our entertainment center. Never thought I'd consider a Panasonic, but the Sony XBR400 won't fit and I definitely want progressive scan.
My question is, can someone give me a precise (like within 1/16") measure of the width of the Panny? It's strange they don't put that most basic piece of information on their website.
Thanks!
Bob
p.s. I own many pieces of Ethan Allen furniture (but not the entertainment center). Their stuff is quite well made. They came out and repaired a couple of pieces the movers had damaged. Very professional repair at no charge--I was impressed. If you don't want your entertainment center Dave, I'll take it. :)

Bob Whitefield

Auditioning
Thanks Dave! I saw the 31.9" measure at that site too, but I also saw 32.1" at another site. My space is 31 13/16, but could be widened with a little work to almost 32.
Guess I'll have to take a tape measure to a store. I haven't seen an hx41 yet, but I assume the hx40 is the same size...
Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks