What's new

Vintage General Electric Clock/Radio/Turntable Upright Cabinet - Advice on Removing Components (1 Viewer)

MarkGordon

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Fauber
See attached for a vintage entertainment center that I am trying to help refurbish. Known to be General Electric, probably manufactured in Decatur, Il. Patent numbers on the back indicate three patents dated 1960, 1963 and 1964. I am trying to remove the turntable to either refurbish it or replace it. I have not been able to determine how to remove it from the cabinet (after many hours of research on the Web). In the stored position, it is vertical. In the working position, it folds down like a secretary desk. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any time that you have to spend on this!

Front.jpg
Back.jpg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's the type of project you'll need the ingenuity to figure out pretty much on your own. The odds of ever finding anyone, anywhere, who has done the same thing with the same unit is practically non-existent. I'm a pretty good tinkerer, but there's nothing in these photos that gives me even a rudimentary idea of how the unit is constructed or functions. I was expecting the traditional console type of unit, not a clock-like vertical one.

I suspect it's completely doable, but will probably be an enormous project. If you're going to do it, I expect a complete replacement of all the electronics and speakers is in order, or it's probably a waste of time. Neat project, but a big one to take on.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
This probably won't help, but a quick google search turned up this...

There is an email link in the comments for this article from someone who worked at the plant that made this unit. Perhaps they might still be around and could provide some advice. Good luck.

- Walter.

MarkGordon

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Fauber
That's the type of project you'll need the ingenuity to figure out pretty much on your own. The odds of ever finding anyone, anywhere, who has done the same thing with the same unit is practically non-existent. I'm a pretty good tinkerer, but there's nothing in these photos that gives me even a rudimentary idea of how the unit is constructed or functions. I was expecting the traditional console type of unit, not a clock-like vertical one.

I suspect it's completely doable, but will probably be an enormous project. If you're going to do it, I expect a complete replacement of all the electronics and speakers is in order, or it's probably a waste of time. Neat project, but a big one to take on.
JohnRice, Thanks. You are probably right about no one available with direct experience (see my response below). They put it together in a factory so there would have been a logical order of assembly. I just don't want to have to take apart the entire cabinet to replace the electronics. Agreed that if I get it apart it makes sense to replace everything (I understand from some posts that the original equipment wasn't the best to begin with. If we make any headway, I'll share the posts. Thanks, again!

MarkGordon

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Fauber
This probably won't help, but a quick google search turned up this...

There is an email link in the comments for this article from someone who worked at the plant that made this unit. Perhaps they might still be around and could provide some advice. Good luck.

- Walter.
Walter Kittel,
Thanks for that link! I had actually already seen that and have, in fact, emailed the gent who worked in the factory. No response yet (don't know if he's still kicking or not). If I find out anything, I'll share here! Thanks, again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danobgyn
Recent bookmarks