What's new

How much energy do amps consume? (1 Viewer)

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Just wondering since I just got my Sherbourn up and running. It's a 7/2100 - so 7 channels and so far, since I'm still trying to find a deal on 80s or 100s, I can only make use of 3 of those channels.

My question is: Is the amp still consuming 7 channels worth of energy in its capacitors when I'm just using 3 or even 2? Also - does it consume the same amount of energy when I'm playing at low volume levels vs higher levels? It just seems like a huge waste of potential and energy.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Once the capacitors charge, they store the energy until they are called upon to deliver it, like in a transient. The amp itself will draw a bit more current from the outlet when you're playing music louder.

What? Someone from California worrying they'll run out of power? Never happen :D

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
i assume that has a single power supply for the whole amp. if this is the case, the caps are shared for all channels. they are just going to be filled/discharged much less than if all 7 channels would need it. you arent wasting that much energy.

get a hot tub, then realize just how much energy something can waste :) i filled my hot tub ONCE in a month and my energy bill was almost 4 times what it usually is. and i run my stereo 24/7.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
It's a 7 monoblock design - so am I to assume that every time I turn it on for a 2 channel session that - all 7 monoblocks will charge up - but I will be drawing power from just 2? so there's a waste of the inital 5 blocks charging?

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
oh ok, if it is 7 channel mono design, then you do waste the initial cap charge, which is minimal really.

if you have a power center or something, hook it up and see how much current you are drawing... when my stuff is on full blast, with my tv, im drawing less than 2 amps... this is nothing.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Yeah I guess - this beast just scares me because it requires 2 separate power cords to be plugged into 2 separate circuits to draw a max of 30A. I just dont want to see an electrical bill of 10 times my normal if I'm just listening to 2 channel.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
its a bit excessive. i think they are doing it to just be cool.

it only NEEDS two power cords if you are running it at 4 ohms, then it will have the capability of drawing more power than an outlet can handle. but this is also at full blast (going from source to amp), with the heaviest program material you can think of... its not gonna happen.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, don't sweat it, but have no doubt when your pushing hard loud sustained volume levels, the amps draw a lot more from the wall.

If your not using an amp, its current draw will be very minimal. If you don't have a speaker even connected, it wil be even more minimal.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Most amplifiers consume a small amount of power from the wall at all times, this is used to operate all the small signal circuits and provide a bias current for the output stage. It takes little to no energy to just keep the capacitors charged. This could mean between 5 to 50 watts per channel, though some amplifiers have an excessive amount of bias and consume 150 watts or more at idle (not something you'll find in a multichannel amplifier). The two power cord thing is probably so that the amp will work as advertised at very high power, it does not mean it will draw lots of current all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks