What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

How many sets did you plan to buy (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
and complete?? Only to end up buying more??

I had planned to only buy these

Knight Rider
Dallas
Dukes of Hazzard
Law&Order
Silk Stalkings
Star Trek TOS
Mr Ed
Gomer Pyle USMC

However, My Brother in law bought me S1 of The West Wing for Christmas so I will soon be purchasing the rest of the seasons. And I purchased S1 of Adventures Superman and as the others come I will purchase them. I also would like to purchase the other Star Trek shows

TV DVD's addiction anyone?? :)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I think the outcome would be different if magically all current and former series suddenly, all at once, were available for sale on DVD. This is all a pipe dream of course, but I think that the fact that some series are available while some are not has a great deal to do with what we've purchased.

I'm not sure I would have sprung for LOST IN SPACE had TIME TUNNEL been available. There's a connection to each other in my mind for these two shows, and having LOST IN SPACE made me feel a little closer to owning TIME TUNNEL.

Other shows that would have been instant buys for me if available (and still will) are THE FUGITIVE, THE INVADERS, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE, and 12 O'CLOCK HIGH.

Series that have come out and were close to instant buys for me were STAR TREK: TOS, STAR TREK: TNG, STAR TREK: DS9, THE TWILIGHT ZONE, M*A*S*H, THE PRISONER and THE OUTER LIMITS.

Naturally, if all series were available at once, purchase price would also figure into the purchasing plan. So it's actually a good thing that they come out slowly. It keeps the wallet refreshed and the pain of these big purchases isn't as bad as it could be.

Harry

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Of shows that are available, my list of intentions included the following:

Alias
Friends
Law & Order: SVU
Law & Order: CI
Mad About You
Will & Grace

By the second year of purchasing, I added in a few shows (Law & Order, Smallville, The Mary Tyler Moore Show and All In The Family). Last year was the explosion year. Shows with multiple sets: The West Wing, 24, Monk, Batman: The Animated Series, Scrubs, and Roseanne. There were also many shows with only one release (so far).

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I'm well on my way to completing:

Seinfeld
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Arrested Development

I plan to collect:

I Love Lucy
The Dick Van Dyke Show
Cheers
Taxi
The Mary Tyler Moore Show
Roseanne (sans season 1)
The Odd Couple (if/when it hits DVD)

and possibly:

The Andy Griffith Show
I'm sure there are others I can't think of right now

I will stop buying The Simpsons at season six or seven, maybe eight.

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator
Alot of it is timing as well.

When I first heard that TV Shows were becoming available on DVD, there were shows that I had to have. Some I had even tried to get on VHS. The mini-series Cosmos was the first DVD I bought as well as being the first TV series.

M*A*S*H for my mother's pleasure since she adores the show and Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes.
For me was shows like The Sentinel (first season in 4/06), The Tomorrow People, original Battlestar Galactica, BTVS, Angel, Stargate SG-1, Robin of Sherwood (only available in England), Earth: Final Conflict, Man from UNCLE, Emergency!, Black Adder, Starsky and Hutch and others as I thought about it.
At that time, shows like Smallville, Lost, Tripping the Rift, Stargate Atlantis weren't even on the air yet so I could not make a valid decision to purchase them. Also hadn't been exposed to Midsomer Murders and David Suchet's Poirot.
Do I purchase too many DVD's on TV? Sure do.
Do I purchase DVD's about TV shows that I have never watched? Yep, that too. I read other peoples reviews and do a little research and I make a decision. Sometimes, I make a good one and I enjoy the new show-Smallville is the perfect example since I never saw the first two years but after hearing the raves, was willing to try it out.
Addicted?
Absolutely
:D :D

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well the reason I asked is, With Television becoming taken over by Realty TV. THe good shows will soon only be found on DVD Television is going in a sad direction if you ask me

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks