1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

How Many Hold-Outs Are Finally Purchasing An All_Region (Preferably 3D) Player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Dick, Jul 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Most of the Marvel and Disney and Pixar stuff that Disney no longer releases in 3-D here in the States is all-region, but there are exceptions (RATATOUILLE, for instance). Anyone finally caving who vowed never to go all-region?

Jack K and PMF like this.
  2. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    I’ve been all region 3D for three years. All region Blu-Ray 8 years, all region DVD 16 years.

Jack K, PMF and Keith Cobby like this.
  3. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Screenwriter

Anthony
    I've never ever had a single-region DVD or Blu ray player. I'm surprised there'd be anyone in this forum who doesn't own one or at least actively considering getting one. Make the world your oyster.

4. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Are there really still "hold outs"? I would imagine anyone remotely interested in cinema has been region free for sometime now. Personally, I don't give a rat's arse about 3D but I have a hard time believing the ability to get Pixar 3D movies is motivation enough for someone to go region free at this stage of the game.

5. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    Next Blu player I buy will probably be totally region-free. It's time.

MatthewA and PMF like this.
  6. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I bought a region free player quite a number of years ago, and it has served me faithfully. Imagine my surprise, however, when I learned that it was indeed capable of playing 3D Blu-rays. When I bought it, I hadn't even thought about that, but for once I made a very wise choice.

PMF likes this.
  7. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    I couldn't care less about 3D, but yeah, I've had region-free for years. Oppo DVD players, then extracting BR to MKV, but got tired of that and got a hardware hack for my Oppo BR player. Simply because there are too many titles US studios choose not to release.

8. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Unfortunately you guys are in the majority there, which is why 3D failed in the home market here in the US. :)When I bought my all-region player a few years back, I made sure it was 3D capable.

Stephen_J_H likes this.
  9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I'm not sure anyone has "vowed to never go all-region." I'm not sure what the point of that would be?

I have not yet, as I haven't really been confounded by enough wanted titles that are exclusively region locked to warrant the investment. Perhaps the next time I decide to upgrade a player I'll consider it, but at the moment I don't feel like I have any compelling need to do so.

10. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Same here. I’ve got a few thousand discs and haven’t had to go region free yet. May consider it at upgrade or replacement time. But frankly, there’s not enough hours in the day to watch all the discs I have that are Region A or All-Region anyway.

PMF, TJPC and Malcolm R like this.
  11. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    I am not against region free of course, but I also am in no hurry. I have 1000s of discs, and order many from Britain or Germany. All have been region free.

The only problem I had was with “Valarian” for which I ordered the Hong Kong region 1 through Amazon.com. It was about 2X the price, but still less expensive than a new player.

I have 5 TVs, 4 Blu ray players and 4 DVD only players hooked up. I certainly would consider a region free version for my next purchase, but with each of even the least expensive player seeming to last a good long time I don’t know when that will be.

I have rarely found a disc locked to a different region that I am pining away for.

12. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Those that are missing 3D are simply missing out on the greatest gift to cinema since film itself.

13. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

:lol::lol::lol: Actually, that would be wide screen but I'm sure if you asked every movie lover that question you'd get a different answer (sound, color, Marilyn Monroe etc.). I haven't "missed" 3D, I've seen it and I don't want it. I've seen some impressive 3D in theaters (Avatar, the live action Beauty And The Beast) as well as crappy 3D (Clash Of The Titans remake, Burton's Alice In Wonderland) but I can happily live with out it.

Jack K likes this.
  14. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
  15. Message #15 of 36 Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    My "hold out" has a lot to do with apathy + burnout along with happenstance through a series of unfortunate bad experiences, than anything entirely "deliberate".

A number of years ago I looked into buying an Oppo player + region free hack, but heard that 4Kbluray was going to be available. So at the time I held off on buying a new premium bluray player.

In the meantime, I encountered some unfortunate situations where most of my enthusiasm + interest in bluray had the bottom falling out and deflating completely for me. At the time circa the mid-2010s, there were less and less movies which I cared about watching and too many tv on bluray shows turning into crap. I previously discussed some of these events in my "jedi mindfuck" thread:

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/which-modern-current-tv-shows-do-you-still-buy-on-dvd.362179/page-3#post-4757130

So by the time Opps' 4Kbluray players were announced (ie. udp203), there were no more tv on bluray and movies (both generic bluray and 4Kbluray) which held my interest any longer.

Since then, I haven't found any region locked bluray titles which I was interested in. (At this point, I don't even care anymore). Hence no point anymore in buying a region free bluray player.

16. Message #16 of 36 Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Correction to my prior post, it occurs to me that I do already own a region-free DVD player. It was purchased about 20 years ago, just a cheap no-brand player (Daewoo?) that could be made all-region by using the remote. I use it rarely, mostly for a handful of Region 2 British comedy or music DVD's.

But I haven't yet deemed it necessary to buy an all-region blu-ray player. I think the only titles that come to mind that I'd watch with it are the UK 3D releases of Ratatouille of Terminator 2. Like Terry, I purchased the Asian release of Valerian, but those are the only titles of interest to me that seem to have posed some obstacles ... so far.

17. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    It also turns out one of my old dvd players could be made region free via a secret menu. Though I didn't know about it at the time, and never owned any non-region1 dvd discs in those days.

Found a really old thread about this secret menu hack:

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/konka-kd-1800u/144

18. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I haven't felt the need to go region-free, either. I have two UHD players and one DVD player in my main HT rack, and really don't feel the need to add another. I own more film titles than I have time to watch, so don't have the need to acquire discs from other regions.

As for 3D, I have never been a fan of it in the theater or in the store demonstrations, so I've never invested in support for the feature.

19. PODER

PODER Supporting Actor

PETER JABLONSKI
    Just bought our latest All Region player. Does the phrase "planned obsolescence" ring a bell with anyone?

MatthewA likes this.
  20. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    If we're just talking about region-free DVD players, I've had one of those for about a decade now. Plenty of R2 DVDs. I've been buying Philips players and region unlocking them since at least 2009.

Though I got a rude surprise when I bought a new Philips Blu player recently. No more numbers on the remote, and it's the exact same onscreen display as the cheap Sanyo players. No more unlocking the DVD regions. So it's going back. As I said before, when the current Philips Blu player dies, I'll specifically buy an all-region Blu/DVD player.

PMF likes this.