What's new

How is onecall.com? (1 Viewer)

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking of buying something from onecall.com how is the service there? If I get a defective product, will I have to pay for anything such as return shipping to get a new one? This would be my first internet purchase so I am a bit skeptical.

Scott Werner

Auditioning
They are good, but if you are purchasing a large TV, have the delivery guy wait while you check to see if it is working. I didn't and had to wait for them to pick up a broken unit and deliver a new one. I have bough a few things there and would do so again.

Henry W

Stunt Coordinator
If you use onecall.com be very careful. Get an extended warranty and make 100% sure of what you are buying, how much you are willing to pay, and what you require. Once the sale is complete and you've made your deal there is no return policy except to replace a defective unit and onecall.com will hold you exactly to the agreement reached prior to the sale. If you have a local dealer with a good return policy and a fair price, you might be wise to use the local dealer. After I made my deal with onecall.com I found they were selling the same item to others at the same time at a considerably lower price. All my appeals for similiar pricing were wasted and I did not feel like I was treated fairly at all.
Best regards-Henry
------------------

Gerard Martin

Second Unit
www.onecall.com is one of the best
if not the best on-line manufacturer
authorized dealers on the web. Check
their return policy it is more than
reasonable if you know what you are
buying. Check Link Removed
for customer comments.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I bought a receiver from onecall a couple of years ago and their service was great. A couple of days after I placed the order I called their 800 number to check on my status and using callerid the operator knew my name, what I had ordered and what day it was due to be delivered before said a word.

I have purchased a few items from them without any problems. I believe they they even upgraded the shipping for free on one of the items. Just do your homework on pricing, and be sure you know what you want.

J

John Morris

I've bought many things from Jason and Patrick at OneCall. Most recently, I got a Sony c555ES SACD player and a Pioneer 643HD5 HDTV from them. In both these cases, they beat the best prices I could find and included 12 month no/no financing.

But just as it was noted... NO Returns.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Henry said:

If you use onecall.com be very careful. Get an extended warranty
Why must one get an extended warranty when buying from OneCall, or are you saying get an extended warranty when buying from anyone? I disagree with getting extended warranties. With some places, they are very expensive, and with inexpensive items, you would be better off replacing the broken item with a newer model using better technology than dealing with a repair. Then, with better equipment, you often get a solid multi-year warranty from the manufacturer anyway. Sony gives a five-year warranty for ES items bought in the US, so there is no need to buy an extended warranty.

Kyle,

I have bought from OneCall three times and have had perfect service each time. As others have said, just note that you cannot return an item to them if you don't like it. J&R Music World, which offers comparable prices on most items, offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. You just pay return shipping. As a result, I prefer to order from J&R if they offer a comparable price to OneCall. I have ordered many times from J&R and have never had a problem with them, even on returns. In any event, OneCall offers great prices on certain items, and if you are sure you want it, go with them. I bought a Sony SCD-C555ES SACD changer from them a few weeks ago for $824 delivered (great price). It came in two days double-boxed.

DonH

Stunt Coordinator
I also bought a receiver from them a couple years ago. Good service. No problems.

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
Find another E-tailer to do business with. I've never had a good experience with Onecall. Promised ship-dates that were never met, extended, or otherwise delayed. Products purchased as "in-stock" which turned out not being in-stock and waiting over 6 weeks to fill the order(and it never did get fulfilled).

THis was on a pair of speakers and a VCR, so it wasn't on just one product or anything.

Sam

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The only other thing that bothers me (besides the no returns policy) is the haggling policy and the extra steps you have to go through to get their rock bottom best price (plus, they do some character assassinations of other vendors, saying how so-and-so aren't really authorized dealer so they won't match so-and-so's price, blah blah blah).

But if you know what you want, and can live with warranty repair service after the sale, and think you can get their rock bottom price, go for it.

W

Will

Unlike some e-tailers, onecall typically does not post

their bottom line prices. If you want a discount from

onecall, you have to ask them for a discount. Their posted

price for a Panasonic RP-91 DVD player for example, is much

higher than most e-tailers. Same with their posted price

for Pioneer RPTVs. They will come down in price enough

to be pretty competitive with other e-tailers, but you

usually have to ask them to this.

Sometimes they'll tell you, without asking, that they'll

sell you an item for less than their posted price. The

first price they give typically is NOT their bottom line

price. You have to haggle a bit.

Other e-tailers have their bottom-line price posted on

their web site. Onecall generally doesn't do this.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I just got a Tosh RPTV from them, my second one. All in all I am quite satisfied. As for extended warranties, I do get them for big ticket items. For only a couple of hundred more, I get peace of mind.

Henry W

Stunt Coordinator
There is a time and a place for extended warranties. When the price is reasonable, the possibility of failure is high, and the place of purchase is questionable , I beleive an extended warranty is useful. I purchased one when buying a digital camera from one of those gray market dealers in Brooklyn and also when buying from onecall.com. In the case of onecall.com my concern was the high possibility of product failure after expiration of the manufacturer's warranty.

Best regards-Henry

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Sam,

Wow, you have had awful luck with OneCall. I bought my Sony DVP-C670D DVD changer, Harman/Kardon CDR 30 CD recorder, and Sony SCD-C555ES SACD changer from them between August 2000 and October 2001. They said all three were in stock, they actually were, and all three arrived in perfect condition on or before the date promised.

Patrick,

It is true that OneCall will not always give you their lowest price right away, but I have not had to work hard to get them to go down in price. I simply told them what another authorized dealer was charging, and they came right back with a competitive price. In the case of the Sony DVP-C670D DVD changer I bought from them, they quoted me a low price with no need to haggle.

As for "character assassination" of other dealers, I've had J&R and even Crutchfield try it with me. Oade Bros. is the only authorized dealer I have dealt with heavily that has not played that game. Of course, Oade Bros.' prices are so low to start with, there is no reason to discuss other dealers' prices with them. Usually, I have to try to get OneCall or J&R to match Oade Bros.' price.

Will,

Discount dealers that are authorized do not always post low prices. Oade Bros. posts no prices on its web site. J&R posts prices for some gear on its web site, but not for better gear such as Sony ES. Also, prices on J&R's web site are not necessarily their lowest. With OneCall, you have to call at times for their lowest price, but that does mean you have to work hard to get it. OneCall does post low prices on its web site at times. For example, they are currently listing the Toshiba SD-9200 progressive-scan DVD-Audio player for $719.10.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks