What's new

How hard is it to make those Dayton Speaker kit speakers? (1 Viewer)

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
I was just checkin out the catalog and was intrigued by these somewhat expensive speaker kits and was wondering if they are very hard to build for someone that has never built a speaker and if they are worth the trouble. i mean the MTM kit with 2 7" aluminum drivers and vifa tweeter is around 500 bucks! At that price would it even be worth it when there are things like the Rocket ELT with 2 5.25" drivers or the Ascend CMT-340m out there for the about the same amount?

I guess I'm just wondering this because I have some time on my hands and it'd be cool to learn how to make a speaker although those kits seem expensive...

What kind of tools would I need to build these things?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You could save $200 and build the cabinets yourself. After you are finished with two or three coats of primer and six or seven coats of black laquer (sanding in between each coat) you may re-think your statement.

-Robert

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
So you guys wouldnt discourage me from building speakers even if I have no experience? How much tim ewould it take a newbie to make them?

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
Also, how do these kits sound? Thats a pretty big concern if I"m going to be spending my freetime building it...

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Post this same question at the PE Tech Talk board and you should find a people people who have heard them and if you are lucky the designer (I think it's Darren K) may answer.

-Robert

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For some kits, you should know how to solder at least adequately. If not, I would not recommend those particular kits. With the GR kits, you can purchase the networks pre-assembled, then build everything the way you want (includes drawings for cabinets). My main system speakers consist of 3 A/V-2s and 2 A/V-1s with all the upgrades, and I have heard very few speakers that come close to their performance at this price point. I have also heard the Paradox 1 (discontinued) and it is also quite impressive. The keys are excellent components, properly aligned drivers (placement) with a very well designed yet simple crossover, and basically a great ear.

Time-wise, I would say a basic kit like the BR-1 should be just a few hours if there is no soldering involved. I've only heard one review of this speaker and it was very positive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.