How good is the amplifier section of the Yamaha DSP-A1?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by George_W_K, Aug 5, 2006.

1. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Just curious if anyone has experience with this older unit. One of the B&M stores nearby has one used for $430. I was thinking of buying it to use as an amp for now. I plan to upgrade to an actual amp later on, but I need something in the meantime. This will power my Def Tech C/L/R 3000 and 2 Axiom QS8's, plus a JBL S-Center in the rear. I'm currently using a Yahama RV-1105 which is rated @ 70 W per channel. But, it has a whine in two of its channels. If I bump it a couple times, the whine goes away. I've taken it apart, but don't see any loose connections.

Anyway, I'm tired of the whine and thought that this DSP-A1 would be a nice interim solution until I buy a normal amp. I'm hoping that the 110 W will be a nice improvement as well. However, since I have no experience with it, I'd like everyone's opinion on the quality of this unit.

Thanks,
    George

2. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

It's a nice little unit; don't say the price too often; I got mine new not long after it came out.

I recall some people had troubles with them; I've not had a moment of trouble with mine.

Leo

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

My A1 is powering my DefTech 2000tl's and it is a great combination. This unit WAS the flagship of the Yamaha line about 10 years ago. It's well respected for it's amp section.

4. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Thanks for the replies. I went and purchased the unit today but haven't hooked it up yet. Nice to hear that it's running your 2000 TL's. I'm hoping I'll get a little more out of my C/L/R 3000 now. At least until I upgrade to a separate amp.

Leo, what I meant to say was $2000. [​IMG]

5. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Good to see you'll be ready to host that meet with another amp.

Seth=L

6. Rick88

Rick88 Auditioning

7. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Thanks for that chart. My older Yamaha was on there too as the 795. I have the Best Buy version so it's called the 1105. Unless I'm confused and they are different models. But, I don't think so.

116 W, not bad. I'll have it connected tonight. I'm interesed to find out how it's going to sound.

Seth,

Yeah, I didn't think I'd find anything in time and figured I'd deal with that whine until I could afford a real amp. But, I've picked up some OT at work so I was able to bump up my price range a little. Do you live anywhere near Cleveland? If so, you're more than welcome to come. There's a couple coming from Cincinnati, and also a couple from Indiana. I think I need a shoehorn to fit all of these people in my rinky dink house, but we'll manage. [​IMG]

8. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    I once owned the gold DSP-A1 and was by far the most gorgeous HT gear I've ever owned. B.e.a.utiful [​IMG]

9. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Unfortunately I have the black one, but I did see the gold one in a brochure. Very nice indeed. [​IMG]

Sounds great, a little more detail coming out of the center and the rears. I wonder if it's the more powerful amps, or just because they're better quality than my previous Yamaha. It's nice not having a whine, however, the DSP-A1 still isn't as quiet as a separate amp.

Oh well, I'm happy and that's what matters! [​IMG]