What's new

How good is the amplifier section of the Yamaha DSP-A1? (1 Viewer)

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Just curious if anyone has experience with this older unit. One of the B&M stores nearby has one used for $430. I was thinking of buying it to use as an amp for now. I plan to upgrade to an actual amp later on, but I need something in the meantime. This will power my Def Tech C/L/R 3000 and 2 Axiom QS8's, plus a JBL S-Center in the rear. I'm currently using a Yahama RV-1105 which is rated @ 70 W per channel. But, it has a whine in two of its channels. If I bump it a couple times, the whine goes away. I've taken it apart, but don't see any loose connections.

Anyway, I'm tired of the whine and thought that this DSP-A1 would be a nice interim solution until I buy a normal amp. I'm hoping that the 110 W will be a nice improvement as well. However, since I have no experience with it, I'd like everyone's opinion on the quality of this unit.

Thanks,
George

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
It's a nice little unit; don't say the price too often; I got mine new not long after it came out.

I recall some people had troubles with them; I've not had a moment of trouble with mine.

Leo

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
My A1 is powering my DefTech 2000tl's and it is a great combination. This unit WAS the flagship of the Yamaha line about 10 years ago. It's well respected for it's amp section.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Thanks for the replies. I went and purchased the unit today but haven't hooked it up yet. Nice to hear that it's running your 2000 TL's. I'm hoping I'll get a little more out of my C/L/R 3000 now. At least until I upgrade to a separate amp.

Leo, what I meant to say was $2000. :)

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Good to see you'll be ready to host that meet with another amp.

Seth=L

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Thanks for that chart. My older Yamaha was on there too as the 795. I have the Best Buy version so it's called the 1105. Unless I'm confused and they are different models. But, I don't think so.

116 W, not bad. I'll have it connected tonight. I'm interesed to find out how it's going to sound.

Seth,

Yeah, I didn't think I'd find anything in time and figured I'd deal with that whine until I could afford a real amp. But, I've picked up some OT at work so I was able to bump up my price range a little. Do you live anywhere near Cleveland? If so, you're more than welcome to come. There's a couple coming from Cincinnati, and also a couple from Indiana. I think I need a shoehorn to fit all of these people in my rinky dink house, but we'll manage. :)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I once owned the gold DSP-A1 and was by far the most gorgeous HT gear I've ever owned. B.e.a.utiful :)

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Unfortunately I have the black one, but I did see the gold one in a brochure. Very nice indeed. :emoji_thumbsup:

Sounds great, a little more detail coming out of the center and the rears. I wonder if it's the more powerful amps, or just because they're better quality than my previous Yamaha. It's nice not having a whine, however, the DSP-A1 still isn't as quiet as a separate amp.

Oh well, I'm happy and that's what matters! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks