What's new

How does the British Prime Minister come to office? (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The House of Lords itself is, of course, a separate body. They can vote against a law on any grounds, including finding it in violation of the Constitution.

Cees

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
To the contrary, I think that the Judicial Committee of the House of Lords has often taken executive branches of government to task. But the difficulty with arguing that a law properly passed by Parliament (excluding Law Lords, whom I believe by convention don't vote on legislative bills) is "unconstitutional", is that there is no constitutional fetter on Parliament's power to begin with, unlike the US Constitution. Or at least that's what I vaguely recall from law school nearly 20 years ago, and even then it was only mentioned in passing as part of our own legal history only (we do have a written Constitution, not that anyone cares much about it, and when the ruling party easily has the two-thirds majority required to amend it, it's been changed pretty often...)

I also understand that a law reform committee has recommended the creation of a separate "Supreme Court", to finally get rid of this anomaly. The ultimate anomaly, indeed, is the Lord Chancellor himself, who is a member of all three branches -- head of the judiciary, member of the Cabinet (in effect minister of law/justice), and member of the House of Lords (as a legislative body).

Odd, when I realised this old thread had been revived, I assumed it was because of Gordon Brown's impending elevation to PM.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
BTW, in the system in my country (which is roughly but certainly not totally equal to the Brit's system) a judge cannot "check" a legally passed bill (which is signed by the Queen) against the Constitution. If it's (legally) there, it's there. If it's in violation of the Constitution, it's supposed not to get there.
I assume (?) the practice is the same in the UK.

Cees

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Well in my country, the president says what's up, and that's pretty much the end of that :).

--
H - at least till some 15 years ago.

finalfrontier

Auditioning
Real Name
ken
The Brit PM is an appointment by the banker criminals of the City of London & Wall St. Thats the truth, Ruth ;)

Alex-C

Screenwriter

The Lady of the Lake,...
...her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water signifying by Divine Providence that Gordon Brown was to carry Excalibur.
That is why he is Prime Minister!

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Listen -- strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It's the old story. Your name is Peter Rumble, you're an MP for Shrickesham, Devonshire, age 47, when suddenly your great-uncle, the 76th Duke of Wongerfiddeldally (pronounce: "Wuddly") dies without any other heir than ....

Who are you to refuse the title and the vaste posessions? But if you want to stay an MP for your constituency, I believe you will have to!

Cees

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Is Wongerfiddeldally related to the Earl of Flufferdoodle? :confused:

But even as recently as 1940, when Chamberlain had to step down many members of the Conservative party preferred Halifax - a member of the House of Lords - to that upstart Churchill. So even at that late a date it was possible for a member of Lords to take over as PM.

Marianne

Supporting Actor
Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I can't believe we made it almost to the end of the first page before the Monty Python jokes started...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks