What's new

How does bitrate work? (1 Viewer)

Allan^L

Stunt Coordinator
On my JVC DVD player, there's a button that lets me see the bitrate of the DVD currently playing. When I read reviews, the bitrate is mentioned as being 6.5 or 8.0 or whatever. When I press this button though, the bitrate fluctuates wildly, changing every second. How do you know the bitrate is 6.5 (for example) when the number keeps changing?

Allan^L

Stunt Coordinator
On my JVC DVD player, there's a button that lets me see the bitrate of the DVD currently playing. When I read reviews, the bitrate is mentioned as being 6.5 or 8.0 or whatever. When I press this button though, the bitrate fluctuates wildly, changing every second. How do you know the bitrate is 6.5 (for example) when the number keeps changing?

Lev-S

Second Unit
What you are seeing is VBR (Variable Bit Rate). Basically, certain colors and patterns in video information contain more or less information than others and require more or less size (bits) to store it in. Just like MP3s, a higher bit rate usually means a better picture, which is co-dependant on the source material. Hope that was somewhat clear! :D

Lev-S

Second Unit
What you are seeing is VBR (Variable Bit Rate). Basically, certain colors and patterns in video information contain more or less information than others and require more or less size (bits) to store it in. Just like MP3s, a higher bit rate usually means a better picture, which is co-dependant on the source material. Hope that was somewhat clear! :D

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

That's the average bitrate. I've often wondered, though, how reviewers go about determining the average.

M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

That's the average bitrate. I've often wondered, though, how reviewers go about determining the average.

M.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Isn't the average bitrate also easily calculated by dividing the amount space the movie takes (in Mbits) with the total length (in seconds) of the movie?

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Isn't the average bitrate also easily calculated by dividing the amount space the movie takes (in Mbits) with the total length (in seconds) of the movie?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
if you can determine the amount of space the video material takes up, yes. since the audio is at a fixed bitrate, this shouldnt be too hard of a task.

CJ

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
if you can determine the amount of space the video material takes up, yes. since the audio is at a fixed bitrate, this shouldnt be too hard of a task.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks