What's new

How do you wire your rack? (1 Viewer)

TomL

Grip
I'm building a full-wall cabinet for my home theater from scratch (woodworking is another one of my hobbies). I'm wondering how everyone else has solved the problem of hiding yet accessing all of the wires - interconnect, speaker, antenna, power cords.
I'm thinking of putting each component on its own shelf, stopping each shelf a bit short of the back, to allow cords to pass up and down. For the power cords, I'm thinking of installing a large power strip in a hidden cavity (there is a single outlet behind where the cabinet will be placed). But the problem is, how to gain access to the hidden area to plug things in? So far my only idea is to use one or more false/removable panels, but I do not want this project to get any more complicated than it already is!

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Right off of the top of my head comes drawer slides, like for the kitchen. Or build the entire rack on slides so that you can pull it out.
Have fun!
Glenn
[Edited last by Glenn Overholt on September 19, 2001 at 06:38 PM]

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Since it is in the wall, you only have 2 decisions. Are the power and wires going to run down the back or on the sides. You can put a dadoo into the side of the rack say in the middle of the right side wall, or you can put one in the back.
If the dadoo is not an option, you can put a small semi-circle in the rear center of each shelf and have the back wall be solid. In this case you would need to put the shelves on drawer rails to get to the cables.
You could also put a semi cirle on one of the corners of the shelves in the rear. You could then put the cables on the more hidden of the two back corners and down.
Either way, they are not as hidden as if you had access to the back of the wall unit. Is there an area in that wall that backs up on a closet in another room? There you could have access much easier.

KevinMcL

Agent
How 'bout cutting a semi-circle the same circuference as a 1/2 piece of abs plastic out of the middle rear of each shelf? Cut the abs in half, run the wires up and down the middle, then cut the abs to length for each shelf, hiding the wires. Of course the pipe would be painted... and it could just be a pressure-fit between each 2 shelves.
Just an idea. You could work this in with the sliding drawers.

SteveDinn

Auditioning
My home theatre shares a wall with my laundry room. I'm planning to build an in-wall cabinet that will jut out about 2 feet and have a door on the back that will allow me to access all the cables and things. I can just walk over to my laundry room and do all my cabling, and have only the component faces showing in the theatre room.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
It might help to see what I am describing: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/...ent/28843.html
I used a 1920s armoire and tried at first to do the pullout shelves...bad idea - ended up pulling things out a lot.
Solution was to build a cabinet inside a cabinet (on left hand side)
Basically it locks in place, when I need to work on something, Remove left hand side of cabinet which unlocks it.
It is on 4 castors which allows me to roll it and swivel it to work on
Only possible problem are CD Mega changers and LD players which are really deep and hard to swivel.
Good luck
Grant
------------------
Why?
Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
I am a superhero!
A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
-Space Ghost..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks