What's new

How do you setup you're subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Jonathon Tillman

Stunt Coordinator
Just a quick question, When I setup my paradigm PS1000 with a sound level meter I have been told to set it to 75db and for some reason I think it is weak, it might just be the sub so I set it to 80db.

Also the subwoofer test tones have a rumble so it is hard to measure it but I have been told to set the level where the needle hangs around alot or stays in one place for a few secounds?

Is this true.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jon

JerryW

Supporting Actor
I always set all my speakers to 75dB and set my sub about +6dB hot (meaning I set my sub to 81dB), a lot of people around here do the same thing. I find that setup to be the most satisfying. Sounds like you've found the best way (which is completely dependant on your own tastes) all by yourself. Good job. :)

J

John Morris

Jonathon: When you do your calibration, set your sound meter to the slow setting. It will allow you to more easily determine where that needle is and make it easier to calibrate. I too set my sub a little hot, but depending on your subwoofer, the volume level you like to watch at, and the movie you are about to watch, you may end up bottoming out your sub if you are not careful. A good gauge of this is to listen to the THX intro on the new Phantom Menace DVD. If your sub thumps during that, you will need to notch it down a bit for that movie.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
One of the setup DVD's (Avia I think) actually has the sub test tones 10 db below where it would match the speakers. So if you calibrate the speakers at 75 db, you should then calibrate the sub at 85 db. So you are right on with the extra sound.
Yes, you should measure where the needle tends to hover.
But...AFIK the test tones do NOT have a rumble. I suspect some of the walls in your room are reinforcing some frequencies to cause the rumble.
There are 2 main theories to sub placement: corner-loading and ... other.
Corner Placement: This puts the sub in the corner so it has the longest-possible wall length to reflect off of. The longer the length of the wall (from the sub position), the lower the frequency it will reflect/emphasize. Most people like corner-loading for HT systems. We want the over-emphasized bass sounds to help with the movie.
Other placement: Putting the sub 2/5 or 1/3 along the wall still gives you wall-reflections, but at some higher frequencies and not as much. This tends to smooth the sound out a bit. This is usually desirable by people with music systems.
One thing to try is this:
Put the sub in your central listening position. Disconnect all the other speakers and play some bass-heavy music/soundtrack. Walk/crawl along the wall where you are thinking about placing the sub. If you listen carefully, you will hear the sound change as you move. You should find several locations where the bass is smooth. Mark these spots on the floor with masking tape/beer can. When you have a couple of spots marked, relocate the sub to the first/best sounding position, re adjust the level and sit in your central location and listen. If it still sounds good, you found your spot. If not, move it to the next position.
Hope this helps.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Bob Actually I think Avia's test tones are all set to the same level (85)...I'm not positive but it might be VE that you have to adjust the LFE higher but its been awhile since I've used VE

John H

Second Unit
One of the setup DVD's (Avia I think) actually has the sub test tones 10 db below where it would match the speakers. So if you calibrate the speakers at 75 db, you should then calibrate the sub at 85 db. So you are right on with the extra sound.
Incorrect
Stop!*Before you run home and set your subwoofer 10 dB higher than you've already set it, you need to read on and find out why this is not necessary.
For consumers, we want things to be simple.* Up until recently, only serious enthusiasts would use an SPL meter to set the levels of their home theater equipment, let alone ask everyone to remember to set the LFE channel differently.*For this reason, home Dolby Digital equipment is pre-set to play LFE data 10 dB higher than a main channel (or 10dB higher than the bass from a main channel).*It is only necessary to set the subwoofer relative to a main channel and the LFE level will be correct.*Very few processors allow direct manipulation of the LFE level. That is why the menus on most receivers say "Subwoofer Level" rather than "LFE Level".
We home users don't use an RTA to set-up our systems, but if we did, it could look something like Figure 4.* Bass which is redirected from a main channel would be balanced with the output of that channel, and the LFE data automatically playing 10 dB higher.* Most of us don't have an RTA so an SLP meter (sound pressure level) has to do.
There are numerous sources of test tones for setting the subwoofer level (different from LFE level), all optimized for a simple SPL measurement (AVIA, Video Essentials, and Delos Surround Spectacular, to name a few).* It is very important to realize that if the subwoofer level has been set correctly using one of these tools to match a screen channel, the LFE data will be at the appropriate setting without any further adjustment.
If you were to raise or lower the subwoofer level, the LFE level would rise or fall with it, tracking it at +10 dB.* Processors that let you manipulate the LFE level independent of the subwoofer level are few, and most of these only let you reduce the offset to protect a less capable subwoofer from undue stress.

Link Removed
The RS SPL meter actually measures the LFE test tone 2-3 dB's higher compared to a RTA. For this reason set the LFE channel 2-3 dB lower than the other channels to be technically correct.
User preference should dictate final LFE setting. After all, it's your HT.
John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks