1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

How do you setup you're subwoofer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonathon Tillman, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Jonathon Tillman

Jonathon Tillman Stunt Coordinator

Just a quick question, When I setup my paradigm PS1000 with a sound level meter I have been told to set it to 75db and for some reason I think it is weak, it might just be the sub so I set it to 80db.

Also the subwoofer test tones have a rumble so it is hard to measure it but I have been told to set the level where the needle hangs around alot or stays in one place for a few secounds?

Is this true.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jon

2. Jonathon Tillman

Jonathon Tillman Stunt Coordinator

a

3. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

I always set all my speakers to 75dB and set my sub about +6dB hot (meaning I set my sub to 81dB), a lot of people around here do the same thing. I find that setup to be the most satisfying. Sounds like you've found the best way (which is completely dependant on your own tastes) all by yourself. Good job. [​IMG]

4. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Jonathon: When you do your calibration, set your sound meter to the slow setting. It will allow you to more easily determine where that needle is and make it easier to calibrate. I too set my sub a little hot, but depending on your subwoofer, the volume level you like to watch at, and the movie you are about to watch, you may end up bottoming out your sub if you are not careful. A good gauge of this is to listen to the THX intro on the new Phantom Menace DVD. If your sub thumps during that, you will need to notch it down a bit for that movie.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

One of the setup DVD's (Avia I think) actually has the sub test tones 10 db below where it would match the speakers. So if you calibrate the speakers at 75 db, you should then calibrate the sub at 85 db. So you are right on with the extra sound.
    Yes, you should measure where the needle tends to hover.
    But...AFIK the test tones do NOT have a rumble. I suspect some of the walls in your room are reinforcing some frequencies to cause the rumble.
    There are 2 main theories to sub placement: corner-loading and ... other.
    Corner Placement: This puts the sub in the corner so it has the longest-possible wall length to reflect off of. The longer the length of the wall (from the sub position), the lower the frequency it will reflect/emphasize. Most people like corner-loading for HT systems. We want the over-emphasized bass sounds to help with the movie.
    Other placement: Putting the sub 2/5 or 1/3 along the wall still gives you wall-reflections, but at some higher frequencies and not as much. This tends to smooth the sound out a bit. This is usually desirable by people with music systems.
    One thing to try is this:
    Put the sub in your central listening position. Disconnect all the other speakers and play some bass-heavy music/soundtrack. Walk/crawl along the wall where you are thinking about placing the sub. If you listen carefully, you will hear the sound change as you move. You should find several locations where the bass is smooth. Mark these spots on the floor with masking tape/beer can. When you have a couple of spots marked, relocate the sub to the first/best sounding position, re adjust the level and sit in your central location and listen. If it still sounds good, you found your spot. If not, move it to the next position.
    Hope this helps.

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Bob Actually I think Avia's test tones are all set to the same level (85)...I'm not positive but it might be VE that you have to adjust the LFE higher but its been awhile since I've used VE

7. John H

John H Second Unit