What's new

How Do You Listen To Music? (1 Viewer)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
OK, I decided to try to start a unique thread and see where this goes. How do you listen to music? Not what types of music or what gear you listen to it on, but exactly HOW do you listen? For instance, do you try to pick out the bass line or the kick drum? Do you focus on one particular instrument? Do you listen in 2 channel or multichannel? How do you prefer your music to sound? Do you like the high's prominent or more laid back? Do you put more emphasis on the midrange, treble or bass?
In my example, I do 99% of my music listening on my bedroom 2 channel system. I use NO subwoofer, even though I have bookshelves in there. Most of the time while I'm listening I'm hacking away on the internet (like now!). When I listen, I try to listen for the drum parts as I'm an aspiring drummer. If I'm not typing away, I'm usually playing the air drums on my imaginary Pearls. Oh yeah, I almost NEVER listen what you would call "critically". I usually just imerse myself in the song and float away.
This may be a stupid thread, or it may be a hit, but just call me curious.;)

StevenW

Second Unit
I either causually listen like when Im on the net or maybe playing some PS2, or I can criticly listen to my music, like laying back in my chair turning off all the lights and just let my music take me away...(ie listening to TOOL)

DanaA

Screenwriter
We have three systems in my house, but the one I listen to is in the master bedroom, with lights out and music turned up very loud to simulate a concert experience. How I listen to it depends on what's being listened to and the mood I'm in. As an example, with my speakers The Beatles seem to sound best with my concert hall setting, while a group like the Clash seem to sound best in two channel stereo. The same goes for what I focus on as far as instruments are concerned. Obviously, for Hendrix, well you know where my focus is there, but for someone like, let's say, Joni Mitchell, I concentrate on the voice. On live albums like Pearl Jam's Live in Seattle, I also focus on sound state quite a bit as I imagine I'm there with the group live. In that you're an aspiring drummer, one of my favorite joys is listening to drums kind of explode sonically, as they do on Amazing Journey on the Who's Live at Leeds.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I listen to my CDs in stereo only. I am not a fan of DSP for music at all. Everything basically flat, so I can hear it the way it was recorded, WRT my system.

In my bedroom system, I have Paradigm Titans with no sub, and I like it that way. I prefer teh midrange of vocals, guitar, and mid-bass. I like the drums to have some punch to them. Much of my music tends to be anchored with a good bassline though, depending on the specific genre I am listening to. Low bass is always good. Highs should be clear and focused, not harsh or too bright.

5ch music is a different story, I listen for the overall effect, and how well it makes me feel like I'm there. Eagles:Hell Freezes Over is a good example.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Hmm, since i listen to alot of Rock/Punk, just stereo on my HT is okay, but usually i listen to it on my Discman with crappy earbuds...

I have the occasionnal pop CD that i may put in with the sub turned on and the bass boost...

also some rock CDs have lotsa bass i like, like KoRn CDs, and some other ones.. but punk doesnt sound too good with alot of bass...

I try to get the full sound from my music, usually with sub, somtimes with bass boost (i rigged a Car Sub crossover with 10dB boost), sometimes not. If im really into it, i crank it up and keep it as dark as possible, but usaually im doing stuff while listening...

im not a total audiophile since my equipment doesnt allow me to yet, so i do like multichannel audio

Benny G

Second Unit
I almost ALWAYS have music playing in my system, unless I'm watching tv or doing something extremely important (aka sleeping).

Since I live in a dorm room, my system is always there.

I typically listen to songs from my PC, as it's much easier than changing CDs, fast-forwarding songs, etc.

I definitely always use my subwoofer. I just love bass (not necessarily heavy bass songs!).

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I listen to music mostly in 2 channel. Depending on what I'm listening to is what dictates the sounds I am trying to hear. As a generic example of a song many of us know, I like Lightning Crashes by Live for the deep lyrics and the way the lows kick in 1/4 of the way through. The building of the emotion is fantastic ...of course there seems to be a recording mistake that the engineer or whoever turned the volume down a little too much after the chorus at about 3/4 way through the song

I like the sound of a steel guitar and the whole southern' sound. I think it sounds great on my system(Denon & Mirage)

and am in the process of finding more music.

I think though what I like most about a good recording is the highs. Cymbals. I love the crashing and accuracy one can hear when listening to the cymbals. Especially when you have listened to a disk for many years and then do the upgrade thing and a whole new world opens up. That, to me, is the best

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
Does anybody know any songs that are easy to learn the guitar chords to just like thaat.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When I listen to music, it is always 2 channel direct, no processing. My main system is in the basement, so I can get it dark any time of day. I turn the lights off and play it loud.

What I listen for is the crystal highs of my Thiel CS 3.6s as well as their absolutely incredible imaging. I love the natural wrap around sound I can get from a good recording. Since when I am intently listening, I am usually listening to Classical, the sound has to be quite well rounded. I am also concerned with dynamics, and feed the Thiels with copious power plus a substantial sub, to get this done.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
for my stereo settings, it's always flat. no boost in bass or treble. if i have a source-direct button i always engage it. no sub (yet)...

as to how i listen to music....these days i just find myself listening to the song from an overall perspective. if i had to use one word, i'd say "catchy". does the song appeal to me because of the chorus, the hook, the bass-line, the keyboards, the vocals, etc? something has to "grab my attention" for me to like it. but i wouldn't say i only listen for one particular part of the song.

one thing i noticed these days is i hardly ever listen to the lyrics. my girlfriend always cracks up because i'll hear a song i like and she'll ask me what it's about. of course, i'll have no clue. i guess i just find most lyrics these days too trite or silly...

oh yeah...i'm having a heck of a time remembering song titles anymore...must be old age.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks