What's new

how do you go about cleaning the face of your equipment? (1 Viewer)

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
most of my equipment has brushed aluminum face plates and some, my receiver especially, has some finger prints/oil stains on them...how do i clean it off and make it nice and shiny?

thanks,

rich

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Rubbing alcohol on a soft cloth works well. Alcohol will evaporate and will not damage your gear.

Angelo, have you tried the Endust stuff? Does it work?

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

John:

Yes. I've used it for a long time to clean my HT electronics, computers, TVs and monitors. It works very well. It evaporates quickly and is nothing like traditional Endust; no residue.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
The "electronics" Endust works great for me too.

No residue, picks up the dust, doesn't discolor the finishes. Metal or plastic.

I'll usually use a cheese cloth with Windex on the display windows to keep from scratching.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I also use the "Endust for Electronics." Works very well. I have some micro-fiber towels that I spray the solution on and then I gently wipe my components.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For metal surfaces, the alcohol will not do anything, but I was going to mention you should not use it liberally on all plastic parts. In most cases, it isn't a problem, but since I can't say that it is safe for everything, be careful with plastic parts, because it may not be compatible with ALL finishes and plastics. Generally in manufacturing, alcohol is used to clean everything, but that is not a guarantee.

Just use a damp cloth for those. I may have to try the Endust for electronics. I saw it, but hadn't heard if it was worth spending $$ on.

John Tami

Stunt Coordinator
I recommend the Endust for Electronics...comes in a Blue can. Can be bought at any Target, Walmart, Kmart, etc...

Not only does it clean with harming any surfaces, it helps leaves an anti static protection which slows th dust build up in the future. I've been using it for years. (my TV is a massive Silver 55" HD Philips! I use a lot of the stuff with 4 boys and fingerprints!) :D (though on the screen I only use cotton towels and warm water)

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I was under the impression that alcohol was a solvent that does not get along with some types of plasic. Why risk it when there's other solutions out there?

Christopher Chung

Stunt Coordinator
I'm surprised that nobody uses those small compressed air cans to blow the dust out of the little nooks and crannys. Blowing the air inside all the cracks is great because you don't really have to worry about scratching and faceplates or bezels.

I find the Air, and wipe combination works very well.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Isopopyl alcohol, ammonia, and peroxide that you buy at the store is diluted so as not to be too hazardous to the public. Higher concentration would eat most plastic, and probably your skin as well.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Forget canned air. I have my air compressor and 75 ft. of hose to go just about anywhere in the house that I need to in order to get the dust out. However, keep in mind blowing the dust out of the cracks will just send the dust somewhere else in your house.

It's also a good idea if you have a forced air system to install cold air return vents that have a slot to install a filter. This filter will prevent dust from recycling through your heating/cooling system and then being blown back around the house.

Finally, if someone is really anal about dust, getting the ducts cleaned isn't such a bad idea.

All of these activities should lead to less dust being produced within your home and settling on your most important, prized posessions.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Dust covers on the electronics can also prevent against dust settling inside, but putting it on/taking it off is too much work for me. I have an enclosed cabinet anyways, and the amount of dust is markedly less now that I mounted the front glass door, but I just use a soft cloth to wipe the dust off. Gentle circular motions with a cloth can usually remove fingerprints without using any polishes/solvents/etc.

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not a big fan of the whole compressed air thing. As Wayne mentioned, it just send the dust somewhere else, sometimes back onto the equipment.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks