What's new

How do you get rid an old RPTV? (1 Viewer)

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
What happens when a RPTV dies, how does one get rid of it? I mean, you can't put it out on the curb and expect for the trash man to take it away.

What do you do with a 40++ tv?

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
I think if you put it on the curb, it will probably disappear, whether it works or not. Give a try and find out.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
if it still works, you can find a new home for it, but if you want to throw it away, please take it to haz-mat disposal. Like many electronics, it's not something to be dumped into a landfill, and if its CRT based there's also a lot of lead involved, so don't just chuck it.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have wondered this myself as I'm now considering a replacement. Part of me wonders if you couldn't use the shell for something, even just as a projection surface with the screen being replaced with something appropriate. To be more creative you could pull off the screen and turn into a funky knick knack shrine or storage unit.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
I'm being serious;) When its time to buy a new set, what do you do with the old one that is broken? With something like a 27", you can take it to the dump and leave it there, but with an RPTV, there is no way someone can dump it off.

Are their services that will take away the set, like when you get a new washer/dryer, they always asked you if you want them to take the old ones away. Its the samething when you buy a new mattress.

What about a RPTV then?

Goodwill??

City?

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
Is there something about RPTV that I don't know about?

I was wondering if you guys are pondering about getting rid of big items like frig, computers, other type of TV or are just concern about RPTV.

If it's just a big item, you usually pay a fee for someone to get rid of it for you. The city dump that collect my trash weekly give a specific price to pick each big item like TV, refrigerator, ect...

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think all of us were being serious, even me with my suggestion about re-using the materials for something else. If you choose to dispose definitely do it properly.

MikeLH

Auditioning
I purchased a new RPTV from CC last December and for $15, they took it away! But I have no idea what they do with them. Mike

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
I was being completely serious. If you put the thing out by the curb with a sign that says "free to first taker" on it, it will be gone in a few days. I suggest you put it out early Saturday morning when the yard-salers are out roaming the streets.

There will always be somebody who will grab it on the off chance that it works or that it can be cheaply fixed.

Bruce-E

Stunt Coordinator
Most areas have large item pickups,if you have trash removal by the city you live in.Or look in yellow pages under hauling for someone to remove it.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Again, my original advice stands for all CRT-based televisions, be they direct view, computer monitors, RPTVs, CRT front projectors. If you can't find someone to take it for free, please dispose of them at an appropriate hazardous materials site. This is not usually just the dump, but a haz-mat site.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
This is why I recently "dumped" my old (but still very functional) 1997 Pioneer 55" RPTV on a co-worker! I sold it to him for a very nominal sum, and then helped pay for the moving charges. (We jointly hired "Two Men and a Truck" to take it to his house; neither one of us wanted to experiment with sticking it in the back of a pickup truck.)

I now own a high-def compatible FPTV that cost less than half the original cost of the 55" RPTV dinosaur, and provides me with a gorgeous 96" 16:9 picture!

And, oh yeah: It only weighs 6.8lbs :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks